Next best thing to a Brooks Pro

Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:
> Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> > Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:

> > > I would gladly build them a set of wheels, even for you....you gotta
> > > ride the thing, I don't.

> > Peter,
> >
> > Would you consider riding a recumbent bicycle to fall under "outrages
> > upon personal dignity, in particular humiliating and degrading
> > treatment" or "cruel and unusual punishment"?
> >
> > --
> > Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

> Don't want to ride one anymore than I want to play golf...wrestling
> with you is approaching cruel and unusual..well unusal at least.

To paraphrase someone else's signature line: Arguing with me is like
mud wresting with a pig - after a while you realize the pig enjoys it.

> After searching other of the many NG you frequent, I am dismayed that
> politically, you and I agree on most things...where did you go wrong?

I guess I just like to take a laid back approach to cycling. [pun
intended]

> On the 'bent and Japanese things are superior, European things are
> inferior..I guess not considering the finer things made these days,
> motorcycles, autos, watches, wine, clothes, art, cameras.....ya know....

I do not dislike European things - just the USian tendency to use them
for status/snob value. If I have a prejudice against anything European
it is automobiles, since the several I have owned (MG, VW, Renault)
have been maintenance intensive and unreliable, and have left me
stranded in places such as West Grain Elevator [1]. By contrast, my
series of Honda Civics have been extremely reliable considering the
abuse I have dished out.

I do miss my old Peugeot P-8 (which I outgrew). I was comfortable on
it, but them one can tolerate things as a teenager they can not as an
adult (such as sleeping in the front seats of a Renault R5).

[1] A gene danielism.

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:
> > Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:

> > > Peter,
> > >
> > > Would you consider riding a recumbent bicycle to fall under "outrages
> > > upon personal dignity, in particular humiliating and degrading
> > > treatment" or "cruel and unusual punishment"?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

> > Don't want to ride one anymore than I want to play golf...wrestling
> > with you is approaching cruel and unusual..well unusal at least.

> To paraphrase someone else's signature line: Arguing with me is like
> mud wresting with a pig - after a while you realize the pig enjoys it.
>
> > After searching other of the many NG you frequent, I am dismayed that
> > politically, you and I agree on most things...where did you go wrong?

> I guess I just like to take a laid back approach to cycling. [pun
> intended]
>
> > On the 'bent and Japanese things are superior, European things are
> > inferior..I guess not considering the finer things made these days,
> > motorcycles, autos, watches, wine, clothes, art, cameras.....ya know....

> I do not dislike European things - just the USian tendency to use them
> for status/snob value. If I have a prejudice against anything European
> it is automobiles, since the several I have owned (MG, VW, Renault)
> have been maintenance intensive and unreliable, and have left me
> stranded in places such as West Grain Elevator [1]. By contrast, my
> series of Honda Civics have been extremely reliable considering the
> abuse I have dished out.

geezzz, but they take all the spit outta your mouth when you own them,
they are so dry, boring, uninteresting. I have owned 6 VWs, have one
now, Have only been stranded by a 1961..all others have been very
reliable, Honda Civic, CVCC, bought in 1978, was a nitemare tho...never
buy another.

> I do miss my old Peugeot P-8 (which I outgrew). I was comfortable on
> it, but them one can tolerate things as a teenager they can not as an
> adult (such as sleeping in the front seats of a Renault R5).
>
> [1] A gene danielism.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:
> Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> > ...If I have a prejudice against anything European
> > it is automobiles, since the several I have owned (MG, VW, Renault)
> > have been maintenance intensive and unreliable, and have left me
> > stranded in places such as West Grain Elevator [1]. By contrast, my
> > series of Honda Civics have been extremely reliable considering the
> > abuse I have dished out.

> geezzz, but they take all the spit outta your mouth when you own them,
> they are so dry, boring, uninteresting. I have owned 6 VWs, have one
> now, Have only been stranded by a 1961..all others have been very
> reliable, Honda Civic, CVCC, bought in 1978, was a nitemare tho...never
> buy another.

My previous Honda Civic never used any oil and had good compression at
150,000 miles, despite my normal driving style of full throttle
acceleration and up shifting just before the rev limiter kicks in. It
also didn't rust out like the European cars. The Canadians in Alliston,
Ontario that put it together knew what they were doing.

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
Victor Kan wrote:
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
DougC wrote:
Chalo Colina wrote:

Hi Ya'll

Down here in Texas we jest take tha' saddles off tha' dead horses...(g)
--

Ted
Don't forget to take out the trash

Ted P. wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Victor Kan wrote:
> Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> DougC wrote:
> Chalo Colina wrote:
>
> Hi Ya'll
>
> Down here in Texas we jest take tha' saddles off tha' dead horses...(g)

Over here on "wreck.bicycles" we flog the deceased equine until it gets
up and leaves.

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> * * Chas wrote:
> >
> > I briefly tried out a 'bent and found it difficult to keep balanced.

> Let us emphasize the word "briefly" here.
>
> Unless you were exceptionally athletically gifted as a child, you

found
> it difficult to balance an upright bicycle when you first learned to
> ride one.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Nope, I was rather a klutz when I got my first bike in 1952 at age 8. I
had my brand new Rollfast 26" tire bike under control after the first 20
feet. Same thing with all of my friends who had bikes. Training wheel
were for sissies!

In my travels throughout half of the world, I've seen people all over
ridding upright bikes with little or no problems. When I arrived in
Japan in 1964 I was amazed to see a whole family - man, woman and 1 or 2
kids riding in traffic on standard single speed upright bikes. The women
sat sidesaddle on a beefy rack on the back of the bikes holding 1 or 2
kids.

To change the subject slightly, I find recumbent bikes and trikes
interesting and hold no negative views towards people who ride them. At
this point in my life I don't see myself ever riding one but that's me.
I enjoy riding 15 to 30 year old retro steel DF bikes.

I find it curious that several recumbent riders in this news group seem
to go out of their way to try to antagonize upright bike riders. Think
about it.

Chas.

"Ted P." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Victor Kan wrote:
> Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> DougC wrote:
> Chalo Colina wrote:
>
> Hi Ya'll
>
> Down here in Texas we jest take tha' saddles off tha' dead

horses...(g)
> --
>
> Ted

Y'all ever seen a cowboy riden' on a recumbent horse saddle?

Chas.

* * Chas wrote:
> I find it curious that several recumbent riders in this news group seem
> to go out of their way to try to antagonize upright bike riders. Think
> about it.

I find it curious that several upright riders in this news group seem
to go out of their way to post misinformation about recumbents and
complain about their mere mention. Think about it.

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

* * Chas wrote:
> "Ted P." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > Victor Kan wrote:
> > Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> > DougC wrote:
> > Chalo Colina wrote:
> >
> > Hi Ya'll
> >
> > Down here in Texas we jest take tha' saddles off tha' dead

> horses...(g)
> > --
> >
> > Ted

> Y'all ever seen a cowboy riden' on a recumbent horse saddle?
>
> Chas.

Dear Chas,

Giddy-yap!

"The sulky (informally known as a bike) is a light two-wheeled cart
equipped with bicycle wheels."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harness_racing

Be sure to click on the sulkies link in the wiki article to find out
about asymmetric sulkies, which hold the speed records.

They even use plastic (horrors!) wheels:

http://www.sulkyshop.co.nz/sulky.shtml

Here's a page on the technical details of the modern sulky that should
make hearts beat faster on RBT:

http://www.rjwalsh.com.au/t-pickard.html

The first trick is to have negative balance--the cart tipping over
backward provides 40-50 pounds of lift for the horse-engine, which
apparently appreciates the load taken off its feet, but then suffers
from increased rolling resistance.

Hi-Yo Silver, Away!

Carl Fogel

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> * * Chas wrote:

<snip>
> > > Hi Ya'll
> > >
> > > Down here in Texas we jest take tha' saddles off tha' dead

> > horses...(g)
> > > --
> > >
> > > Ted

> > Y'all ever seen a cowboy riden' on a recumbent horse saddle?
> >
> > Chas.

> Dear Chas,
>
> Giddy-yap!
>
> "The sulky (informally known as a bike) is a light two-wheeled cart
> equipped with bicycle wheels."

My exact thoughts! I was thinking of a a sulky too!

<snip>
> http://www.rjwalsh.com.au/t-pickard.html
>
> The first trick is to have negative balance--the cart tipping over
> backward provides 40-50 pounds of lift for the horse-engine, which
> apparently appreciates the load taken off its feet, but then suffers
> from increased rolling resistance.
>
> Hi-Yo Silver, Away!
>
> Carl Fogel

Here's another take on it:

http://www.manbottle.com/picture_library/how_to_tell_if_your_ass_is_too_
small...

Chas.

news:[email protected]...

* * Chas wrote:

> Y'all ever seen a cowboy riden' on a recumbent horse saddle?
>
> Chas.

Nope. Recumbent horses usually won't git back up, no matter how much you
whup'em.
Regards
--

* * Chas wrote:
> "Ted P." <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> Hi Ya'll
>>
>> Down here in Texas we jest take tha' saddles off tha' dead

> horses...(g)
>> --
>>
>> Ted

> Y'all ever seen a cowboy riden' on a recumbent horse saddle?
>
> Chas.

Sompin else...you know what tha' plural of ya'll is?

--

Ted
Don't forget to take out the trash

"Ted P." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> * * Chas wrote:
> > "Ted P." <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >> Hi Ya'll
> >>
> >> Down here in Texas we jest take tha' saddles off tha' dead

> > horses...(g)
> >> --
> >>
> >> Ted

> > Y'all ever seen a cowboy riden' on a recumbent horse saddle?
> >
> > Chas.
> >

> Sompin else...you know what tha' plural of ya'll is?
>
> --
>
> Ted

Either you-uns or ya'll or ya'lls depending on region. Sompin
else....y'all can be spelt y'all or ya'll.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ya'll

Where I grew up the proper word was youns as in youns guys - from
you-ins.

Chas.

[email protected] wrote:

> Giddy-yap!
>
> "The sulky (informally known as a bike) is a light two-wheeled cart
> equipped with bicycle wheels."
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harness_racing

> The first trick is to have negative balance--the cart tipping over
> backward provides 40-50 pounds of lift for the horse-engine, which
> apparently appreciates the load taken off its feet, but then suffers
> from increased rolling resistance.

Dear Carl,

I have a confession to make. I designed and developed a dog sulky a
few years ago. It's now available to the unsuspecting public:

http://dogscooter.com/dogscooter/carts.html

The name was Daphne Lewis's choice, and is unique among sulkies to my
knowledge.

Chalo

On 30 Oct 2006 20:33:31 -0800, "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>>
>> Giddy-yap!
>>
>> "The sulky (informally known as a bike) is a light two-wheeled cart
>> equipped with bicycle wheels."
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harness_racing

>> The first trick is to have negative balance--the cart tipping over
>> backward provides 40-50 pounds of lift for the horse-engine, which
>> apparently appreciates the load taken off its feet, but then suffers
>> from increased rolling resistance.

>Dear Carl,
>
>I have a confession to make. I designed and developed a dog sulky a
>few years ago. It's now available to the unsuspecting public:
>
>http://dogscooter.com/dogscooter/carts.html
>
>The name was Daphne Lewis's choice, and is unique among sulkies to my
>knowledge.
>
>Chalo

Dear Chalo,

For harnessing a helpless dog, your kind should burn in--

Oh, wait . . .

They like it? Hmmm . . . think Iditarod.

Er, for some reason there are no basset hounds on this page, but
apparently there's no shame in designing, building, or using dog
sulkies:

http://hometown.aol.com/dogcarting/DogCarting.html

The half-basset, half-Swiss mountain mutt that owns me spent a day
last week recovering with a six-inch outer incision and has been
pulling hard ever since. Possibly attaching a sulky would slow the
idiot down.

Come to think of it, it might be fun to rampage around my neighborhood
in a stylish cart drawn by four snorting basset hounds, lashing them
wildly with a fly-whisk in order to overtake helpless women pushing
baby carriages and then swerving to drive the baby-buggy chariots off
the course and into--

Cheers,

Canis Heston

* * Chas wrote:
> "Ted P." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> * * Chas wrote:

>>> horses...(g)

>>> Y'all ever seen a cowboy riden' on a recumbent horse saddle?
>>>
>>> Chas.
>>>

>> Sompin else...you know what tha' plural of ya'll is?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ted

> Either you-uns or ya'll or ya'lls depending on region. Sompin
> else....y'all can be spelt y'all or ya'll.
>
> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ya'll
>
> Where I grew up the proper word was youns as in youns guys - from
> you-ins.
>
> Chas.

It's 'all ya'll'.
All ya'll have a goodun...downhill goin' and comin' back.
Regards

--

Ted P. wrote:
> * * Chas wrote:
>
> > Y'all ever seen a cowboy riden' on a recumbent horse saddle?
> >
> > Chas.
> >

> Nope. Recumbent horses usually won't git back up, no matter how much you
> whup'em.
> Regards
> --
>
> Ted
> Don't forget to take out the trash

Horse version of a 'bent is riding sidesaddle...ohhh, don wanna wrinkle
your skirt!!

Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:
> After searching other of the many NG you frequent, I am dismayed that
> politically, you and I agree on most things...where did you go wrong?...

GWB rides an upright bicycle, not a recumbent. :)

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.