Next Generation KH20's

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by TheBadger587, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. TheBadger587

    TheBadger587 Guest

    Every once in a while, i see someone talking about the work that's being
    done on KH unicycles, and i was wondering what's gossip and what's
    not.

    (posted by gerbilfranklin on http://tinyurl.com/43gz7 this thread)
    > The frame Kris was riding is one of the new prototype frtames for the
    > Kh 20. He's going for the lowest profile crown he can get. All I can
    > say is more power to him, and when it's done, I want one.

    and

    (posted by onewheelstallion in http://tinyurl.com/5ssa9 that thread)

    > If it's the new new one yet to be released (I think unicycle.com, Kris
    > Holm Unicycles and Onza are making it) I have heard it is to be the
    > weight of a Suzue hub with bicycle Euro cranks, which is considerably
    > lighter than the current one! I don't have any figures as I'm not sure
    > there are any yet, because the hub and cranks aren't finished... Could
    > be wrong.

    and

    (posted by zack in the same thread)

    > the new kh hub has revers splindes and is as light as a suzue hub.

    The truth is out there... but what is the truth? does anyone really
    know?

    edit: ah great i start this post because i saw that danger_uni was
    browsing the forum and by the time i'm done, he's gone... ah well.

    --
    TheBadger587

    MUni every day.
    TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576

  2. mango

    mango Guest

  3. So, to reiterate on Zack's post about the hub. The hub will be 36
    splined and is supposed to be as strong, if not stronger than profiles.
    The linkage between the flanges and the axle will no longer consist of a
    single or double-keyway, and will be replaced by all 36 of the splines
    on the axle distributiong the force. All the material normally found
    between the flanges on any high quality hub such as Profile or Onza will
    be done away with, thus saving weight without compromising strength. The
    weight should be comparable to a Suzue.

    From what I hear, the frame will be much lower profile and my be made of
    aluminum.

    The cranks won't have the dreaded nubs, and should have some q-factor,
    but not quite as much as the profiles.

    That's about all I know. Hope this helps.

    Note: Most of this information was learned from discussion with Kris at
    Moab or from others here on the forum. So this obviously is to be taken
    with a grain of salt.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
    army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown
    out?

  4. Robbie

    Robbie Guest

  5. > All the material normally found between the flanges on any high
    > quality hub such as Profile or Onza will be done away with, thus
    > saving weight without compromising strength.

    It sounds quite similar in this respect to the hub that Steve Howard
    has recently concocted? Am I right in thinking that it is just flanges
    without the centre piece of shell between them?

    I take it if it has the larger number of splines that it won't have a
    pinch bolt? And what length cranks will be available? I assume 170s and
    140s initially.

    I know everyone is refering to this as the new KH hub/crank set, but as
    it's a joint venture between several major unicycle product
    manufacturers, what will it be branded as??

    I'm also wondering what the price is going to be like. I can't imagine
    the figures going up an enormous amount on the stock unicycles.

    --
    one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

    OWS

    "I'm going to be polite in this whole message except for here.

    Idiot." - John Foss

    one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

  6. TheBadger587

    TheBadger587 Guest

    gerblefranklin wrote:
    > *
    > Note: Most of this information was learned from discussion with Kris
    > at Moab or from others here on the forum. So this obviously is to be
    > taken with a grain of salt. *

    Hey, Discussion with kris in person is pretty good information. Most
    discussion about the next production run of KH unicycles indicates
    october-december as the date for the next batch. Kris said that the 29er
    would be availible, and a couple other people said things of that sort.
    so... light as a suzue and as strong as profiles? HOLY CRAP is all i
    have to say... if they truly are coming out in october, i'll be buying a
    trials unicycle in october...

    --

  7. Robbie wrote:
    > *Stronger than profiles, ey? He's got some pretty dam big hopes there.
    > It would be good if they were stronger though, because then Ryan
    > Atkins would be able to go for some larger drops :D *

    Not neccessarily stronger, but definitely in the same range and probably
    as strong. Ryan bends more pedal spindles than he does cranks, from what
    I hear.

    Also, it's probably gonna weight a bit more than the suzue, just because
    it'll probably have slightly more substantial flanges and more material
    on the axle. This is just speculation, though.

    Steve Howard's hub is square taper, not splined, from what I remember.

    I think the price will stay around the price of the current KH setup,
    but in this respect my memory gets a little bit foggy. Also, I'm not
    sure, but I think the cranks won't have a pinch bolt. The rest of the
    questions can really only be answered by Kris, although it's safe to bet
    that the cranks will come in 140 and 170.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
    army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown
    out?

  8. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    one wheeled stallion wrote:
    > * I know everyone is refering to this as the new KH hub/crank set, but
    > as it's a joint venture between several major unicycle product
    > manufacturers, what will it be branded as??*

    Where did this info come from? And who are the other major unicycle
    product manufacturers involved?

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

  9. Steve Howard had a hub on show here to take KH cranks I believe? I think
    it was an axle/spindle and the flanges just pushed on to it. Looked
    pretty cool!

    Roger of Unicycle.uk.com fame posted in a thread from a while back that
    it is Unicycle.com, Onza and Kris Holm unis that are producing the
    hub/cranks.

    I'm just wondering what the difference will be between the branded
    unicycles, what with hub/cranks being the main selling point.

    --
    one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

    OWS

    "I'm going to be polite in this whole message except for here.

    Idiot." - John Foss

    one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

  10. Tellurider

    Tellurider Guest

    Kris was riding on one of his proto type munis in Telluride this spring
    on memorial day, and it was an aluminum frame with the new splined hub
    with cranks from onza. I think the total weight was fifteen pounds I'm
    not sure if this was with brakes but I think so. It was a nice looking
    muni with a flat crown, the vertical legs of the frame tapered in at the
    top making the crown narrower than the original frame. I hope it makes
    it to production it would be great to see an afordable lightweight
    alluminum muni with brakes available. :)

    --
    Tellurider - Dan Wilson

    Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly
    Tellurider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4972

  11. Way to single someone out...basically everything in this thread was
    wrong.

    --
    TheObieOne3226 - Owns you, SWAT does, mmmm

    'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT) -- *New!
    Coasting unicycle video and more ECMW pics!*
    'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com) -- *FRESHLY
    UPDATED*

    AIM/ICQ:TheObieOne3226
    Yahoo:TheObieOne3226
    MSN:[email protected]

    "Obie is definately a trend setter, I got in to unicycling because of
    him, and came here because of him"
    -KJ-52

    "Praise Allah!"
    -Gilby

  12. DK

    DK Guest

    this really sucks. i just talked to my mom and she said she already
    ordered a 2004 kh20 about a week ago. should i pay toi send it back and
    get a 2005 or should i just keep it. I'd lioke to send it back b/c being
    the spoiled a*s i am i would complain all the time.

    --
    DK - Jello Owns You!
    DK's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8054