Next phase

trekchic

Jul 26, 2003
I am a beginner cyclist with aspirations of racing in the women's cat 5 category next year. I have only been on my bike for 2 months. Here's where I am in my progress:

The longest I have ever ridden is 15 miles at one time; but I could've gone longer.

I maintain an average speed of 13.5 mph on the longer rides; including sprinting and riding a hilly terrain at least 3 miles of the 15. I try to keep my speed near the 15 mph range for the duration of the ride.

My fastest flat sprint maintained for 30 seconds has been 23.5 mph; I average 21.5 in a dead sprint.

OK: so what's next? Am I ready to train on intervals and jumps? Am I ready to begin real climbing training?

The race team I have joined is asking when I am going to start riding with them, but I don't think I am ready. I ride with one other person right now. I need to ride more with a club group before I join in on training rides, don't you guys think?

I need a plan of action!

Originally posted by ksbell
I am a beginner cyclist with aspirations of racing in the women's cat 5 category next year. I have only been on my bike for 2 months. Here's where I am in my progress:

The longest I have ever ridden is 15 miles at one time; but I could've gone longer.

I maintain an average speed of 13.5 mph on the longer rides; including sprinting and riding a hilly terrain at least 3 miles of the 15. I try to keep my speed near the 15 mph range for the duration of the ride.

My fastest flat sprint maintained for 30 seconds has been 23.5 mph; I average 21.5 in a dead sprint.

OK: so what's next? Am I ready to train on intervals and jumps? Am I ready to begin real climbing training?

The race team I have joined is asking when I am going to start riding with them, but I don't think I am ready. I ride with one other person right now. I need to ride more with a club group before I join in on training rides, don't you guys think?

I need a plan of action!

how many days a week do you ride? if you only been riding 2
months and your longest ride has been 15 miles, i would
suggest riding longer dont concentrate on speed (get a hrt
monitor) and as far as miles go, go by time rather then distance
slowly build up time on the bike shoot for hour 30 min
then 2 hours then 3 ect, theres a lot of info here to help you
read more threads. as far as your sprinting goes i would
be more concerned with longer base miles, easy days ride
longer hard days ride shorter ect.

Right now, I get in about 4 days a week. When the time changes and it gets dark earlier, I am sure I will only be able to ride one week morning and both days on the weekends.

I am trying to build up a good base for the winter so when I really start training in the spring, I will be ready.

I will not worry about speed, but will build up endurance. I can ride for about and hour right now (depending on my last meal! haha!) I have learned to consume more food when I am going to ride. If I don't, I am done in a matter of minutes!

Anyone know of a great online journal to keep up with progress?