Next Step...?

Chris Kennedy

Guest
I'm 14 years old and have been unicycling for about a month now using a
torker lx.. 2004 i think.. anyway i'm wondering what new things i
should learn. i am in the process of mastering 180s right now. what
thing should i try or learn next. Thanks

--
Chris Kennedy
Chris Kennedy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11530

TheBadger587 wrote:
> I'd follow the skill levels until level 5/6... google search "unicycle
> skill levels"... you'll find 'em

I don't agree, I wouldn't reccomend the skill levels unless you are
going to be in freestyle. And with what you are describing it sounds
like you are slanting towards a street style. A great thing to always
practice is the hop height. You can also try to get down uni spins and
grinds. I'm suggesting these because they seem to be with the division
of unicycling that you are working on. But if you want to do freestyle
you should go with the skill levels. If you want to be with trials you
need to really work with hopping, crank grabs, pedal grabs, and those
types of skills.

--
unign
unign's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10305

unign wrote:
> I don't agree, I wouldn't reccomend the skill levels unless you are
> going to be in freestyle. And with what you are describing it sounds
> like you are slanting towards a street style. A great thing to always
> practice is the hop height. You can also try to get down uni spins and
> grinds. I'm suggesting these because they seem to be with the division
> of unicycling that you are working on. But if you want to do freestyle
> you should go with the skill levels. If you want to be with trials you
> need to really work with hopping, crank grabs, pedal grabs, and those
> types of skills.

How can you assume he wants to do street just because he is learing
180s? 180s are just a good beginner skill to learn, and they aren't
just used in street. If he was learning crankflips or something then I
would understand.

--
litldude2

Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
_____________________________

litldude2 wrote:
> How can you assume he wants to do street just because he is learing
> 180s? 180s are just a good beginner skill to learn, and they aren't
> just used in street. If he was learning crankflips or something then I
> would understand.

I think that assumption may be based on age more than anything else.
Most young people would, in my opinion, gravitate towards street. I
would say he should do whatever he wants to learn. If he wants to
learn freestyle I would suggest onefoot riding, if he wants to learn
street I would say rolling hop height or one foot. In general I would
suggest whatever sounds fun, but be reasonable, you won't be able to do
some skills but you should be able to learn a few.

--
koebwil
koebwil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11308

unign wrote:
> I don't agree, I wouldn't reccomend the skill levels unless you are
> going to be in freestyle.

Well if you have a closer look at 'the list'
(http://unicyclist.org/cont/levels.cfm)... how freestyle do you
consider it?
I think the major part is just essential basic, no matter what flavour
you will start liking the most.

--
leo

leo vandewoestijne
*'+1 866-uni-cycl' (callto://+18668642925)
'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/)

'subscribe' (http://www.unicyclist.org/cont/subscribe.cfm) to
'unicyclist.org' (http://www.unicyclist.org/)!*
leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

Yes, the skill levels are freestyle-centric, as that is what was common
for unicycling skill progression when the skill levels were made. Right
now, work is being done to make skills levels that cover street,
trials, muni, and other areas of unicycling.

--
Gilby
Gilby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1

Regardless what you're really going for, learning a lot of the
pre-wheelwalk freestyle skills will grant you a solid skillset that
will be helpful in completely unrelated areas of unicycling--the
half-idles you might do on a MUni trail, the pedal efficiency granted
by knowing how to 1 foot ride, the knowledge of center supplemented by
knowing how to idle.

--
TheBadger587

Gliding, finally.

AIM:TheBadger587
TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576

I have no idea what you can do.

But riding one footed and riding backwards is good to know.. hard to
say if your 180 is done stillstand or rolling..
To idle is nice, and to wheelwalk is even nicer.

Your age doesn't really mather, it's more your time while riding.. in
the sadle so to speak, and your will to progress. :)

--
lleberg

I <3 my unicycle!
lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

Hi Chris!
When I couldn't decide which route to go down, trials or freestyle: I
just decided that it's worth learning everything that's cool! Seat out
hops and rolling hops. Try seat out riding and grinding. Uni spins,
jump mounts and crank grabs.

If you want to know what you can learn simply take a look at Wiki Books
and there are whole books about Trials and Freestyle skills.

Hope this helps,
AndyC

--
andycookuk

"Wisest is he who knows he knows nothing"
andycookuk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11138