Next Step...?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Chris Kennedy, Jan 19, 2006.

  1. I'm 14 years old and have been unicycling for about a month now using a
    torker lx.. 2004 i think.. anyway i'm wondering what new things i
    should learn. i am in the process of mastering 180s right now. what
    thing should i try or learn next. Thanks

    --
    Chris Kennedy
    Chris Kennedy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11530

  2. unign

    unign Guest

    TheBadger587 wrote:
    > I'd follow the skill levels until level 5/6... google search "unicycle
    > skill levels"... you'll find 'em

    I don't agree, I wouldn't reccomend the skill levels unless you are
    going to be in freestyle. And with what you are describing it sounds
    like you are slanting towards a street style. A great thing to always
    practice is the hop height. You can also try to get down uni spins and
    grinds. I'm suggesting these because they seem to be with the division
    of unicycling that you are working on. But if you want to do freestyle
    you should go with the skill levels. If you want to be with trials you
    need to really work with hopping, crank grabs, pedal grabs, and those
    types of skills.

    --
    unign
    unign's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10305

  3. litldude2

    litldude2 Guest

    unign wrote:
    > I don't agree, I wouldn't reccomend the skill levels unless you are
    > going to be in freestyle. And with what you are describing it sounds
    > like you are slanting towards a street style. A great thing to always
    > practice is the hop height. You can also try to get down uni spins and
    > grinds. I'm suggesting these because they seem to be with the division
    > of unicycling that you are working on. But if you want to do freestyle
    > you should go with the skill levels. If you want to be with trials you
    > need to really work with hopping, crank grabs, pedal grabs, and those
    > types of skills.

    How can you assume he wants to do street just because he is learing
    180s? 180s are just a good beginner skill to learn, and they aren't
    just used in street. If he was learning crankflips or something then I
    would understand.

    --
    litldude2

    Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
    Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
    _____________________________

    chosen wrote:
    > wish i could be in a signature...*sigh*

  4. koebwil

    koebwil Guest

    litldude2 wrote:
    > How can you assume he wants to do street just because he is learing
    > 180s? 180s are just a good beginner skill to learn, and they aren't
    > just used in street. If he was learning crankflips or something then I
    > would understand.

    I think that assumption may be based on age more than anything else.
    Most young people would, in my opinion, gravitate towards street. I
    would say he should do whatever he wants to learn. If he wants to
    learn freestyle I would suggest onefoot riding, if he wants to learn
    street I would say rolling hop height or one foot. In general I would
    suggest whatever sounds fun, but be reasonable, you won't be able to do
    some skills but you should be able to learn a few.

    --
    koebwil
    koebwil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11308

  5. leo

    leo Guest

    unign wrote:
    > I don't agree, I wouldn't reccomend the skill levels unless you are
    > going to be in freestyle.

    Well if you have a closer look at 'the list'
    (http://unicyclist.org/cont/levels.cfm)... how freestyle do you
    consider it?
    I think the major part is just essential basic, no matter what flavour
    you will start liking the most.

    --
    leo

    leo vandewoestijne
    *'+1 866-uni-cycl' (callto://+18668642925)
    'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/)

    'subscribe' (http://www.unicyclist.org/cont/subscribe.cfm) to
    'unicyclist.org' (http://www.unicyclist.org/)!*
    leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

  6. Gilby

    Gilby Guest

    Yes, the skill levels are freestyle-centric, as that is what was common
    for unicycling skill progression when the skill levels were made. Right
    now, work is being done to make skills levels that cover street,
    trials, muni, and other areas of unicycling.

    --
    Gilby
    Gilby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1

  7. TheBadger587

    TheBadger587 Guest

    Regardless what you're really going for, learning a lot of the
    pre-wheelwalk freestyle skills will grant you a solid skillset that
    will be helpful in completely unrelated areas of unicycling--the
    half-idles you might do on a MUni trail, the pedal efficiency granted
    by knowing how to 1 foot ride, the knowledge of center supplemented by
    knowing how to idle.

    --
    TheBadger587

    Gliding, finally.

    AIM:TheBadger587
    TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576

  8. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

    I have no idea what you can do.

    But riding one footed and riding backwards is good to know.. hard to
    say if your 180 is done stillstand or rolling..
    To idle is nice, and to wheelwalk is even nicer.

    Your age doesn't really mather, it's more your time while riding.. in
    the sadle so to speak, and your will to progress. :)

    --
    lleberg

    I <3 my unicycle!
    lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

  9. andycookuk

    andycookuk Guest

    Hi Chris!
    When I couldn't decide which route to go down, trials or freestyle: I
    just decided that it's worth learning everything that's cool! Seat out
    hops and rolling hops. Try seat out riding and grinding. Uni spins,
    jump mounts and crank grabs.

    If you want to know what you can learn simply take a look at Wiki Books
    and there are whole books about Trials and Freestyle skills.

    Hope this helps,
    AndyC

    --
    andycookuk

    "Wisest is he who knows he knows nothing"
    andycookuk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11138