Nexus 7 speed coaster brake questions

I could not find much here on the coaster brake version of the Nexus 7
hub. What type of service are folks getting from the 7 speed Nexus
coaster brake hubs??? How well do they stop? Life of brake in "normal"
conditions. (NOT salt and ice)

Ease of shifting, life of hub, maintenance???? Failures of any
kind???

I like coaster brakes and will be using a front brake , so I'm just
looking for info from informed folks .

Thanks,
Robert

On Jun 5, 1:32 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> I could not find much here on the coaster brake version of the Nexus 7
> hub. What type of service are folks getting from the 7 speed Nexus
> coaster brake hubs??? How well do they stop? Life of brake in "normal"
> conditions. (NOT salt and ice)
>
> Ease of shifting, life of hub, maintenance???? Failures of any
> kind???
>
> I like coaster brakes and will be using a front brake , so I'm just
> looking for info from informed folks .

All I can tell ya is that all my relatives in Sweden use that hub,
it's immensely popular on city bikes there, and I don't think they've
ever had to service them. It's perfectly suited to pairing with a
front rim brake. I've borrowed and ridden one there down some major
steep hills, it's as nice a coaster brake as you'll ever need.

I'm not sure how easy it is to get brake shoes for it if you wear them
out or even the composition (brass?) but as far as greasing, unless
you ride major miles, it'll be a long time in the future.

I've put tens of K on the roller brake version with zero problems.
Slop or sun, doesn't matter.

[email protected] wrote:
> I could not find much here on the coaster brake version of the Nexus 7
> hub. What type of service are folks getting from the 7 speed Nexus
> coaster brake hubs??? How well do they stop? Life of brake in "normal"
> conditions. (NOT salt and ice)
>
> Ease of shifting, life of hub, maintenance???? Failures of any
> kind???
>
> I like coaster brakes and will be using a front brake , so I'm just
> looking for info from informed folks .

Landotter answered your question. But I'll add that if you have a front
brake, you won't need to use the rear hub brake. The front brake alone
has all the stopping power you'll need. The only time to use the rear
brake is:

-On loose surfaces (i.e. gravel) where there is a chance of front wheel
skidding that would cause loss of steering control
-On long descents, to help prevent the front brake from overheating
-As an emergency brake should your front brake fail.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.