Nexus 7sp Hub question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kbh, Apr 13, 2003.

  1. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    Considering a Shimano 7 Speed internal geared hub for a project and I have some questions:

    1) On Sheldon's site, he says the hubs are 130mm in one place

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nexus-mech.html#upgrade

    then lists them at 135 in another.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/shimano-nexus.html#sprockets

    Which one's right?

    2) I see Sheldon also sells the 7 speed shifter for these, I though that was included? Is the cable
    pull of the shifter compatible with 'old' Shimano 7 speed rapid fire shifters, or do you have to
    use the Nexus shifter?

    3) What's a recommended rim for these hubs (700C) or will anything work fine?

    Thx.

    Kyle

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, you say...
    >Considering a Shimano 7 Speed internal geared hub for a project and I have some questions:
    >1) On Sheldon's site, he says the hubs are 130mm in one place
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nexus-mech.html#upgrade then lists them at 135 in another.
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/shimano-nexus.html#sprockets Which one's right?

    The hub I have measures 130. It looks to me as if you can easily add a 5mm spacer to get these
    up to 135mm.

    >2) I see Sheldon also sells the 7 speed shifter for these, I though that was included? Is the cable
    > pull of the shifter compatible with 'old' Shimano 7 speed rapid fire shifters, or do you have to
    > use the Nexus shifter?

    The hubs don't necessarily come with a shifter. I don't now if these are compatible with prior
    shimano shifters

    >3) What's a recommended rim for these hubs (700C) or will anything work fine?

    I've seen bikes with both 26" mtb rims and 700c rims. What you use will depend on what size rim your
    frame requires. I just bought a bike that has one of these hubs built up to a 700C rim. If you are
    interested you can see a picture of the bike at http://www.vandesselsports.com/b_sfly.shtml.

    In case you are interested, I just listed one of these hubs, with shifter and roller brake, on r.b.m
    . I was going to build up a wheel, but since I found this bike with pretty much everything I wanted,
    I no longer need it.
    ----------------
    Alex

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Considering a Shimano 7 Speed internal geared hub for a project and I have some questions:
    >
    > 1) On Sheldon's site, he says the hubs are 130mm in one place
    >
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nexus-mech.html#upgrade
    >
    > then lists them at 135 in another.
    >
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/shimano-nexus.html#sprockets
    >
    > Which one's right?
    >
    > 2) I see Sheldon also sells the 7 speed shifter for these, I though that
    was
    > included? Is the cable pull of the shifter compatible with 'old' Shimano
    7
    > speed rapid fire shifters, or do you have to use the Nexus shifter?
    >
    > 3) What's a recommended rim for these hubs (700C) or will anything work fine?

    Nexus and SRAM 7 here are 130mm but they could be 135 in a moment if you so desire. AFAIK you are
    restricted in both sevens to their own shifter. Hubs don't care what size rim you build on them -
    but frames do! You might also consider the SRAM (Sachs) Super Seven, which is similarly priced but
    has some advantages to the commuter - -such as the ability to change a punctured tube. . . Here,
    price includes shifter and control cable which is common practice in the industry.