Nexus 8 part 2

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tvrtko Ursulin, Jun 1, 2008.

  1. Hello again,

    Yesterday I had a go at my Nexus 8 hub in hope that this time I will find
    something obviously wrong which could then be fixed.

    At first I was optimistic because I found that the nut which locks the
    roller brake assembly was loose, so maybe that was it I thought. I also got
    rid of the washer inserted by the bike shop which did the previous
    unsuccessful repair attempt. After assembling everything back together it
    looked even better because I could dry-shift through all gears and the
    cassette joint unit would happily go back and forth even back from lower
    gears.

    However the following test ride showed that the problem was still there, and
    it even changed a bit and got slightly worse. Now I get intermittent loss
    of power in 5th gear, like clutch temporarily slips for half a second. I
    still mostly can't shift to 4th and lower, and still when trying I
    sometimes get a complete loss of power when I have to manually pull back
    the cassette join unit back into alignment.

    I think I checked all of the suggested stuff I could. Anti-rotation washers
    are fine, lock nuts seem fine (I played with the one on the sprocket side
    to see the effect - to tight and the whole hub gets difficult to turn, so I
    left it only slightly fastened as it was), chain is tight and everything
    else seems fine (cables, stops, etc).

    As next step I will be contacting one shop which may be capable of dealing
    with Nexus and if so probably putting the bike in car and taking it there.
    It shouldn't be more than 45 minutes drive one way so it's not so bad. I
    really hope they confirm they can deal with Nexus because the next
    candidate shop is roughly twice as far.

    Tvrtko

    Tags:

  2. Tvrtko Ursulin wrote:
    > Hello again,
    >
    > Yesterday I had a go at my Nexus 8 hub in hope that this time I will find
    > something obviously wrong which could then be fixed.
    >
    > At first I was optimistic because I found that the nut which locks the
    > roller brake assembly was loose, so maybe that was it I thought. I also got
    > rid of the washer inserted by the bike shop which did the previous
    > unsuccessful repair attempt. After assembling everything back together it
    > looked even better because I could dry-shift through all gears and the
    > cassette joint unit would happily go back and forth even back from lower
    > gears.
    >
    > However the following test ride showed that the problem was still there, and
    > it even changed a bit and got slightly worse. Now I get intermittent loss
    > of power in 5th gear, like clutch temporarily slips for half a second. I
    > still mostly can't shift to 4th and lower, and still when trying I
    > sometimes get a complete loss of power when I have to manually pull back
    > the cassette join unit back into alignment.
    >
    > I think I checked all of the suggested stuff I could. Anti-rotation washers
    > are fine, lock nuts seem fine (I played with the one on the sprocket side
    > to see the effect - to tight and the whole hub gets difficult to turn, so I
    > left it only slightly fastened as it was), chain is tight and everything
    > else seems fine (cables, stops, etc).
    >
    > As next step I will be contacting one shop which may be capable of dealing
    > with Nexus and if so probably putting the bike in car and taking it there.
    > It shouldn't be more than 45 minutes drive one way so it's not so bad. I
    > really hope they confirm they can deal with Nexus because the next
    > candidate shop is roughly twice as far.
    >
    > Tvrtko

    The moral of these things seems to be that when they break, buy a new
    one, especially if you have wheelbuilding skills. There are precious
    few people around who know anything about fixing them, and a new hub is
    only about 2 hours' labour. Unfortunately they seem to fall well short
    of the legendary Sturmey-Archer 3 speed reliability (although that's
    obviously a much simpler, and less versatile, hub).