Nexus 8-speed efficiency

Harada1972

New Member
Dec 23, 2004
Shimano claims that efficiency of new 8-speed internal hub gear is much better than earlier models. Is it tested somewhere? How about comparing between other manufactures?

Harada1972 wrote:

> Shimano claims that efficiency of new 8-speed internal hub gear is much
> better than earlier models. Is it tested somewhere? How about comparing
> between other manufactures?

Bear in mind there are two models. The premium model with the orange
stripe (http://www.peeble.com/bikes/bikes.htm) uses ball bearings for
the planet gears, so it should be more efficient. it's also a bit
lighter. FWIW, I've never noticed any drag either when riding or when
turning the pedals with the bike upside down. It may be something like
90% efficient rather than 95% for a derailleur system. I think it's a
very good hub, provided it's more reliable than the woeful Nexus 7.