Nexus Inter7 (SG7R41, 7-speed hub) Maintenance

Stav99

Guest
Hello, I know the recommendation has been to leave the Nexus
7-speed internal hubs alone, but after three 'bike across
Michigan' rides with my Nexus over the past five years and
various day tours, I thought I'd have the hub serviced. I
noticed some occasional gear slippage and also worried that
the lubrication was breaking down. I took it back to the
shop where the Raliegh SC-200 was purchased and signed up
for maintenance. It was the first work they attempted on
that kind of hub as they only sold about 5 or 6 over the
past few years. I've got the bike back, but I notice that if
I lift the wheel off the ground to give it a gentle spin to
see how long it rotates until internal frictions bring it to
a stop, it barely makes it a couple of revolutions. I would
have sworn that it did a much longer free spin before I took
it in -- and certainly when it was new. Does anyone know how
to make a simple adjustment to this hub to free it up just a
little so I'm not fighting all this internal friction? I'm
off on another six-day ride with it in June and need this
bike rolling more freely. Has anyone found a website devoted
to the Shimano Nexus hubs or their internal hub brakes? I
notice the Shimano website doesn't really have much for them
in FAQs or otherwise.

Thank you in advance... Mark Stav

[email protected] (stav99) wrote in message news:<597-
[email protected]>... <snip>
> Does anyone know how to make a simple adjustment to
> this hub to free it up just a little so I'm not
> fighting all this internal friction? I'm off on another
> six-day ride with it in June and need this bike rolling
> more freely. Has anyone found a website devoted to the
> Shimano Nexus hubs or their internal hub brakes? I
> notice the Shimano website doesn't really have much for
> them in FAQs or otherwise.

Some instructions at http://www.shimano-
europe.com/cycling/catalogue/content_prodx.phtml?pid=10091&-
psid=10497 More, better information is at
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nexus.html

Jeff

Thank you, Jeff. You've pointed out some good sources. The
Nexus diagrams are excellent and the Nexus commentary from
the Sheldon Brown site looks great as well. I'll have to
read up. If anyone else has some experince adjusting the
hub, I'd appreciate it. I saw in .tech or .misc where people
were discussing fixing a flat without taking the wheel off
the bike. That seems extreme to me but might be necessary.
The hubs are fairly well wired to cables from both the
brakes and the gear lever.

--- Thanks again, Mark Stav

news:<[email protected]>...