Nexus thumb shifter on drop bar?

Ken Wright

Guest
How much trouble is it to modify a Nexus Rapidfire
shifter to fit a drop bar? An post several years ago
indicated one needs only to replace the clamp screw
with a longer one. Is this true?

How reliable are the Rapidfire shifters?

thanks,
kw

On Feb 5, 3:11 pm, Ken Wright <[email protected]> wrote:
> How much trouble is it to modify a Nexus Rapidfire
> shifter to fit a drop bar? An post several years ago
> indicated one needs only to replace the clamp screw
> with a longer one. Is this true?

That may work. It's a metal clamp, so you can bend it quite a bit.

> How reliable are the Rapidfire shifters?

I put 30-40K on a 7 speed Nexus thumb shifter. Not a single problem,
rain, snow, or summer heat. One of the most reliable bike related
doohickeys I've ever used.

Or you could use one of the little stub bars that Thorn make to fit a
Rohloff twist grip.

Ken Wright wrote:
> How much trouble is it to modify a Nexus Rapidfire
> shifter to fit a drop bar? An post several years ago
> indicated one needs only to replace the clamp screw
> with a longer one. Is this true?

I don't know if it's necessary, but the one it comes
with is pretty darn tiny, and it will make the job
much easier to have the longer one. It's trivial to
find a match in a hardware store.

I also dremelled some of the metal around the top of
the clamp to go around a wider or curvier bar easier.

> How reliable are the Rapidfire shifters?

I only have 200 miles on mine but so far seems great.
It is partly plastic so I wouldn't turn the bike
upside down onto it.

I just love making a tiny flick to shift while my
friends fiddle with their derailleurs trying to
find a ratio that doesn't scrape.