NF-kappa B activation / iron

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Doe, Feb 14, 2004.

  1. Doe

    Doe Guest

    Comp Hepatol. 2004 Jan 14;3 Suppl 1:S36. Links

    Signaling role of iron in NF-kappa B activation in hepatic macrophages.

    Xiong S, She H, Tsukamoto H.

    Department of Pathology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, USA.
    [email protected]

    Iron is both essential and toxic for cells and impaired iron homeostasis has been shown to cause or
    potentiate various forms of liver injury. Research in our laboratory suggests that iron also plays a
    pivotal role in intracellular signaling for NF-kappa B activation in hepatic macrophages (HM). Our
    results showed: 1) HM from alcohol-fed rats had a increase in the nonheme iron content accompanied
    by NF-kappa B activation; 2) iron chelation normalized nonheme iron concentration and blocked
    enhanced NF-kappa B activation and TNF-alpha expression in these cells; 3) LPS-induced NF-kappa B
    activation was also blocked by iron chelator; 4) iron directly induced TNF-alpha expression via IKK
    and NF-kappa B activation in normal HM. We propose that iron acts as an independent proinflammatory
    molecule via induction of the intracellular signaling for NF-kappa B activation in HM and primes the
    liver for chronic inflammation and injury.

    PMID: 14960188 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

    ------

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  2. markd

    markd Guest

    As it says, iron is also needed for proper health. I posted an article in the last week or so, for
    the consideration of Tom and to which he did not respond, showing research where iron was an
    unexpected benefit to proper neurological activity; As I recall it was with regard to copper as a
    toxic agent. Maybe Tom can look it up and comment uopon it also. But wait, he almost never comments
    or expands the info posted into any meaningful larger picture, no doubt thinking his "unique" thesis
    so broadly understood that it's implication is obvious .. NOT ..

    >Comp Hepatol. 2004 Jan 14;3 Suppl 1:S36. Links
    >

    >Signaling role of iron in NF-kappa B activation in hepatic macrophages.
    >
    >Xiong S, She H, Tsukamoto H.
    >
    >Department of Pathology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, USA.
    >[email protected]
    >
    >Iron is both essential and toxic for cells and impaired iron homeostasis has been shown to cause or
    >potentiate various forms of liver injury. Research in our laboratory suggests that iron also plays
    >a pivotal role in intracellular signaling for NF-kappa B activation in hepatic macrophages (HM).
    >Our results showed: 1) HM from alcohol-fed rats had a increase in the nonheme iron content
    >accompanied by NF-kappa B activation; 2) iron chelation normalized nonheme iron concentration and
    >blocked enhanced NF-kappa B activation and TNF-alpha expression in these cells; 3) LPS-induced NF-
    >kappa B activation was also blocked by iron chelator; 4) iron directly induced TNF-alpha expression
    >via IKK and NF-kappa B activation in normal HM. We propose that iron acts as an independent
    >proinflammatory molecule via induction of the intracellular signaling for NF-kappa B activation in
    >HM and primes the liver for chronic inflammation and injury.
    >
    >PMID: 14960188 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

    >------
    >
    >Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    >http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING
    >http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/deadpeoplewalking

  3. Doe

    Doe Guest

    >Subject: Re: NF-kappa B activation / iron
    >From: [email protected]
    >Date: 2/14/2004 1:20 PM Mountain Standard Time
    >

    >As it says, iron is also needed for proper health. I posted an article in the last week or so, for
    >the consideration of Tom and to which he did not respond, showing research where iron was an
    >unexpected benefit to proper neurological activity; As I recall it was with regard to copper as a
    >toxic agent. Maybe Tom can look it up and comment uopon it also. But wait, he almost never comments
    >or expands the info posted into any meaningful larger picture, no doubt thinking his "unique"
    >thesis so broadly understood that it's implication is obvious .. NOT ..

    Maybe you simply didn't understand my .. 'take' .. on .. your .. contributions ..?

    Shite ..

    I'll spell it for ya ..

    S .. H .. I .. T .. E ..

    >>Comp Hepatol. 2004 Jan 14;3 Suppl 1:S36. Links
    >>

    >>Signaling role of iron in NF-kappa B activation in hepatic macrophages.
    >>
    >>Xiong S, She H, Tsukamoto H.
    >>
    >>Department of Pathology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, USA.
    >>[email protected]
    >>
    >>Iron is both essential and toxic for cells and impaired iron homeostasis has been shown to cause
    >>or potentiate various forms of liver injury. Research in our laboratory suggests that iron also
    >>plays a pivotal role in intracellular signaling for NF-kappa B activation in hepatic macrophages
    >>(HM). Our results showed: 1) HM from alcohol-fed rats had a increase in the nonheme iron
    >content
    >>accompanied by NF-kappa B activation; 2) iron chelation normalized nonheme
    >iron
    >>concentration and blocked enhanced NF-kappa B activation and TNF-alpha expression in these cells;
    >>3) LPS-induced NF-kappa B activation was also blocked by iron chelator; 4) iron directly induced
    >>TNF-alpha expression via
    >IKK
    >>and NF-kappa B activation in normal HM. We propose that iron acts as an independent
    >>proinflammatory molecule via induction of the intracellular signaling for NF-kappa B activation in
    >>HM and primes the liver for chronic inflammation and injury.
    >>
    >>PMID: 14960188 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

    >>------
    >>
    >>Who loves ya. Tom

    Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  4. markd

    markd Guest

    Ah, our good friend Tom can be scatological even different languages, no wait, in these days of the
    net dictionaries of languages are a dime a dozen; oh drat; we will find something he knows something
    about .. WE .. NEED .. ONLY PATIENCE.

  5. [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] Once upon a time, our fellow [email protected]
    net.com rambled on about "Re: NF-kappa B activation / iron." Our champion De-Medicalizing in
    sci.med.nutrition retorts, thusly ...

    >Ah, our good friend Tom can be scatological

    It is about time that you geeks started posting on a real topic.

    Just my opinion. But, I am *right* as usual!