Ni-Cad problems

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by W K, Feb 15, 2003.

  1. W K

    W K Guest

    I have finally got round to getting my Sigma ellipsoid working, and wow,
    2.4W is more than I've had before. Anyway as luck had it I fiddled with it on the last 50 yards of
    my journey after using it only for ~50 minutes, and it fell off.

    It bounced twice and went out... On inspection, the bulb is OK, the unit lights up when filled with
    almost decharged AAs, and finally I see that the nicads do make it light very very dimly.

    This all seems very odd, but I suppose it comes down to: Do nicads bugger up if you drop them?

    [hmmm I've just thought of an alternative explanation] The bulb mount might have bent enough to
    short out the batteries. I suppose shorting out nicads doesn't do much for them.

    OTOH- they were cheapo nicads from the market -8 for a fiver.

    Tags:

  2. Fred

    Fred Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, W K <[email protected]> writes
    >This all seems very odd, but I suppose it comes down to: Do nicads bugger up if you drop them?
    Yes, they can break an internal connection, but need to be dropped pretty hard, no need to treat as
    glass or eggs.

    Actually I lie, it was duracells that stopped working on me after a drop. When inspected, the pos
    nipple had been pushed in a bit. Similar risk may apply.
    --
    fred

  3. W K

    W K Guest

    "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > [hmmm I've just thought of an alternative explanation] The bulb mount might have bent enough to
    > short out the batteries.

    OK, the batteries are nice and recharged, so it was the above.

    OTOH thinking about it : 700mAHr / 0.4A isn't very long. But still, I have a rechargeable 2.4W set
    up that cost <15 quid total.