NI killer jailed

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Just Zis Guy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/2761943.stm

(I'd format it better, but being at work and using MS Outhouse, festering heap of sh*t that it is,
every time I try it Dr Watsons).

A County Antrim mother of six has been sentenced to two years in prison for the manslaughter of a
teenage boy.

Alison McKeown, 33, admitted killing 16-year-old Thomas McDonald by dangerous driving at the
Whitewell Road in September 2001, but denied murdering him. The Protestant youth was knocked from
his bike by the Catholic woman's car when she chased him along a footpath after he had thrown a
brick at her windscreen. Sectarian tensions were high at the time during the loyalist protest
outside the Holy Cross Girls' primary school in another part of north Belfast.

Circus The incident followed rioting between rival loyalist and nationalist crowds at the Whitewell
interface. McKeown's defence counsel had argued that although it had been a rash and dangerous act,
it had been carried out in the heat of the moment. "To me that's a circus in there... you murder
someone and you do a year in jail and you're out - there's no justice there" - Thomas McDonald Snr
"It was just a few moments of loss of self control for which she and her family have already paid a
huge price," said defence counsel Jim Gallagher. He said Mckeown "recognised the tragedy of the loss
of this young man's life and what it represents to his family". There was anger in court when the
sentence was imposed on Friday. Friends and relatives of the teenager shouted abuse at Mrs McKeown,
describing what had happened in court as "a joke and a circus". The boy's stepfather, Thomas
McDonald Snr, said: "To me that's a circus in there... you murder someone and you do a year in jail
and you're out - there's no justice there." McKeown will also serve three years probation. Lord
Justice McCollum said he had taken into account the fact that Mrs McKeown was unlikely to commit any
other offences in the future. He accepted what she had done was the reaction of an impulsive woman
and her response had not been premeditated.

--
Guy
===
I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103 http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#104

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/2761943.stm
>
> (I'd format it better, but being at work and using MS Outhouse, festering heap of sh*t that it is,
> every time I try it Dr Watsons).
>
> A County Antrim mother of six has been sentenced to two years in prison
for
> the manslaughter of a teenage boy.
>
> Alison McKeown, 33, admitted killing 16-year-old Thomas McDonald by dangerous driving at the
> Whitewell Road in September 2001, but denied murdering him. The Protestant youth was knocked from
> his bike by the Catholic woman's car when she chased him along a footpath after he had thrown a
> brick at her windscreen. Sectarian tensions were high at the time during the loyalist protest
outside
> the Holy Cross Girls' primary school in another part of north Belfast.
>
> Circus The incident followed rioting between rival loyalist and nationalist
crowds
> at the Whitewell interface. McKeown's defence counsel had argued that although it had been a rash
> and dangerous act, it had been carried out in the heat of the moment. "To me that's a circus in
> there... you murder someone and you do a year in jail and you're out - there's no justice there" -
> Thomas McDonald Snr "It was just a few moments of loss of self control for which she and her
> family have already paid a huge price," said defence counsel Jim
Gallagher.
> He said Mckeown "recognised the tragedy of the loss of this young man's
life
> and what it represents to his family". There was anger in court when the sentence was imposed on
> Friday. Friends and relatives of the teenager shouted abuse at Mrs McKeown, describing what had
> happened in court as "a joke and a circus". The boy's stepfather, Thomas McDonald Snr, said: "To
> me that's a circus in there... you murder someone and you do a year in jail and you're out -
> there's no justice there." McKeown will also serve three years probation. Lord Justice McCollum
> said he had taken into account the fact that Mrs McKeown was unlikely to commit any other offences
> in the future. He accepted what she had done was the reaction of an impulsive woman and
her
> response had not been premeditated.
>
> --
> Guy
> ===
> I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
> about it perhaps you could think when we talk
of
> bicycles, that you see them printing their proud wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.
>
> http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103 http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#104
>
>
>
What has this got to do with cycling ? The thug would have been run down by the other thug
whether they were on a bike or not.

Graham

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 18:38:01 +0000, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

>I do sometimes wonder whether or not the sentence passed is based on the crime actually commited or
>on the possibility of that same person misbehaving in the future.

I am occasionally given to wonder whether the sentence is in fact related to an entirely different
and less serious offence :-/

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 19:50:50 +0000 (UTC), "Graham" <[email protected]> wrote:

>What has this got to do with cycling ?

The dead person was riding a bike, and the original report of the offence was discussed hereabouts.
Please uninstall the plug-in which forces you to read posts you don't want to read.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

> On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 19:50:50 +0000 (UTC), "Graham" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >What has this got to do with cycling ?
>
> The dead person was riding a bike, and the original report of the offence was discussed
> hereabouts. Please uninstall the plug-in which forces you to read posts you don't want to read.
>
> Guy
> ===
> ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
> dynamic DNS permitting)
> NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
> work. Apologies.

Therefore any story involving riding a bike, be the rider of the bike a criminal or other thug,
has to be discussed on this newsgroup ?

Graham

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/2761943.stm
>
> (I'd format it better, but being at work and using MS Outhouse, festering heap of sh*t that it is,
> every time I try it Dr Watsons).
>
> A County Antrim mother of six has been sentenced to two years in prison
for
> the manslaughter of a teenage boy.
>
> Alison McKeown, 33, admitted killing 16-year-old Thomas McDonald by dangerous driving at the
> Whitewell Road in September 2001, but denied murdering him. The Protestant youth was knocked from
> his bike by the Catholic woman's car when she chased him along a footpath after he had thrown a
> brick at her windscreen. Sectarian tensions were high at the time during the loyalist protest
outside
> the Holy Cross Girls' primary school in another part of north Belfast.
>
> Circus The incident followed rioting between rival loyalist and nationalist
crowds
> at the Whitewell interface. McKeown's defence counsel had argued that although it had been a rash
> and dangerous act, it had been carried out in the heat of the moment. "To me that's a circus in
> there... you murder someone and you do a year in jail and you're out - there's no justice there" -
> Thomas McDonald Snr "It was just a few moments of loss of self control for which she and her
> family have already paid a huge price," said defence counsel Jim
Gallagher.
> He said Mckeown "recognised the tragedy of the loss of this young man's
life
> and what it represents to his family". There was anger in court when the sentence was imposed on
> Friday. Friends and relatives of the teenager shouted abuse at Mrs McKeown, describing what had
> happened in court as "a joke and a circus". The boy's stepfather, Thomas McDonald Snr, said: "To
> me that's a circus in there... you murder someone and you do a year in jail and you're out -
> there's no justice there." McKeown will also serve three years probation. Lord Justice McCollum
> said he had taken into account the fact that Mrs McKeown was unlikely to commit any other offences
> in the future. He accepted what she had done was the reaction of an impulsive woman and
her
> response had not been premeditated.
>
> --
> Guy
> ===
> I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
> about it perhaps you could think when we talk
of
> bicycles, that you see them printing their proud wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.
>
> http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103 http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#104
>
>
This is 'merely' secretarian violence and should be treated with the contempt it so richly deserves.
The car / cycle were purely coincidental. My opinion only and not a criticism of its inclusion on
this ng. cheers, Dave.

Graham wrote:

>
> Therefore any story involving riding a bike, be the rider of the bike a criminal or other thug,
> has to be discussed on this newsgroup ?

Yes, that's the rules, if you don't like them, ********.

James
PS I rode my bike yesterday.

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 22:11:04 +0000 (UTC), "Graham" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> The dead person was riding a bike, and the original report of the offence was discussed
>> hereabouts. Please uninstall the plug-in which forces you to read posts you don't want to read.

>Therefore any story involving riding a bike, be the rider of the bike a criminal or other thug, has
>to be discussed on this newsgroup ?

The original report of the offence was discussed hereabouts. Please uninstall the plug-in which
forces you to read posts you don't want to read.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/2761943.stm
> >
> > (I'd format it better, but being at work and using MS Outhouse,
festering
> > heap of sh*t that it is, every time I try it Dr Watsons).
> >
> > A County Antrim mother of six has been sentenced to two years in prison
> for
> > the manslaughter of a teenage boy.
> >
> > Alison McKeown, 33, admitted killing 16-year-old Thomas McDonald by dangerous driving at the
> > Whitewell Road in September 2001, but denied murdering him. The Protestant youth was knocked
> > from his bike by the Catholic woman's
car
> > when she chased him along a footpath after he had thrown a brick at her windscreen. Sectarian
> > tensions were high at the time during the loyalist protest
> outside
> > the Holy Cross Girls' primary school in another part of north Belfast.
> >
> > Circus The incident followed rioting between rival loyalist and nationalist
> crowds
> > at the Whitewell interface. McKeown's defence counsel had argued that although it had been
> > a rash
and
> > dangerous act, it had been carried out in the heat of the moment. "To me that's a circus in
> > there... you murder someone and you do a year
in
> > jail and you're out - there's no justice there" - Thomas McDonald Snr "It was just a few moments
> > of loss of self control for which she and her family have already paid a huge price," said
> > defence counsel Jim
> Gallagher.
> > He said Mckeown "recognised the tragedy of the loss of this young man's
> life
> > and what it represents to his family". There was anger in court when the sentence was imposed on
> > Friday. Friends and relatives of the teenager shouted abuse at Mrs McKeown, describing what had
> > happened in court as "a joke and a circus". The boy's stepfather, Thomas McDonald Snr, said: "To
> > me that's a circus
in
> > there... you murder someone and you do a year in jail and you're out - there's no justice
> > there." McKeown will also serve three years probation. Lord Justice McCollum said he had taken
> > into account the fact that Mrs McKeown was unlikely to commit any other offences in the future.
> > He accepted what she had done was the reaction of an impulsive woman and
> her
> > response had not been premeditated.
> >
> > --
> > Guy
> > ===
> > I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
> > about it perhaps you could think when we talk
> of
> > bicycles, that you see them printing their proud wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.
> >
> > http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103 http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#104
> >
> >
> This is 'merely' secretarian violence and should be treated with the contempt it so richly
> deserves. The car / cycle were purely coincidental. My opinion only and not a criticism of its
> inclusion on this ng. cheers, Dave.
>
>
Well said Dave, as for James it's all very well telling people to ******** on a newsgroup,
especially when they are only expressing an opinion. But would you say it to them in person ?
Disagree by all means but keep a civil tongue in your head, or you might find it getting ripped
out and fed back to you !

Graham

Graham wrote:
> as for James it's all very well telling people to ******** on a newsgroup, especially when
> they are only expressing an opinion. But would you say it to them in person ?

When they say something as mind-numbingly stupid as you did, what sort of response would you expect?

> Disagree by all means but keep a civil tongue in your head, or you might find it getting ripped
> out and fed back to you !

Ah, that's a 'civil' threat of violence is it?

James

James Annan wrote:
> Graham wrote:
>
>> as for James it's all very well telling people to ******** on a newsgroup, especially when
>> they are only expressing an opinion. But would you say it to them in person ?
>
>
> When they say something as mind-numbingly stupid as you did, what sort of response would
> you expect?

OTOH I had just been reading uk.tosspot, maybe my judgement was a little impaired!

Sorry,

James

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 16:42:51 -0000 someone who may be "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Lord Justice McCollum said he had taken into account the fact that Mrs McKeown was unlikely to
>commit any other offences in the future.

On the contrary, it sounds quite likely that she will do it again in similar circumstances.

>He accepted what she had done was the reaction of an impulsive woman

Precisely.

>and her response had not been premeditated.

Armed robbers could say the same thing. I didn't intend to kill anyone, they shouldn't have annoyed
me. I doubt if the courts would accept such a line.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E I will always explain revoked
keys, unless the UK government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 22:11:04, Graham <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > The dead person was riding a bike, and the original report of the offence was discussed
> > hereabouts. Please uninstall the plug-in which forces you to read posts you don't want to read.
>
> Therefore any story involving riding a bike, be the rider of the bike a criminal or other
> thug, has to be discussed on this newsgroup ?

I scrounged a redundant filing-cabinet from work during the week, and then brought it home
yesterday. It was a bit of a strugglke getting it in the car, and I wasn't sure where to put it when
I got home (the study is due for a reorganisation, which will accomodate it in due course). Anyway,
it was fine in teh end, because when I got home I found I could fit it in teh garagge, if I moved
one of the BIKEs.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
|/ \|

"James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> James Annan wrote:
> > Graham wrote:
> >
> >> as for James it's all very well telling people to ******** on a newsgroup, especially when
> >> they are only expressing an opinion. But would you say it to them in person ?
> >
> >
> > When they say something as mind-numbingly stupid as you did, what sort of response would you
> > expect?
>
> OTOH I had just been reading uk.tosspot, maybe my judgement was a little impaired!
>
> Sorry,
>
> James
>

Apology accepted, and it wasn't a civil threat of violence, it was a promise !

Graham

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 08:54:02 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>I scrounged a redundant filing-cabinet from work during the week, and then brought it home
>yesterday. It was a bit of a strugglke getting it in the car, and I wasn't sure where to put it
>when I got home (the study is due for a reorganisation, which will accomodate it in due course).
>Anyway, it was fine in teh end, because when I got home I found I could fit it in teh garagge, if I
>moved one of the BIKEs.

Oh come on, Ian, you know that's only on topic if you're going to keep your spare tubes on top of
the thing ;-)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.