Niaspan vs Slo-Niacin

Oliver Costich

Guest
I have been taking Niaspan but my prescription coverage is
now gone and a I was startled to discover the 1000mg Niasapn
is over $2 per tablet. That's absurd. Costco sells a product
called Slo-Niacin at a far lower price. I have heard that
these slow release products can cause liver problems but I
tolerated the time release Niaspan well. Would I expect the
Slo-Niacin to be any diferent?

Oliver Costich wrote:

> I have been taking Niaspan but my prescription coverage is
> now gone and a I was startled to discover the 1000mg
> Niasapn is over $2 per tablet. That's absurd.

That's life and capitalism.

> Costco sells a product called Slo-Niacin at a far lower
> price. I have heard that these slow release products can
> cause liver problems but I tolerated the time release
> Niaspan well. Would I expect the Slo-Niacin to be any
> diferent?

Ime, the pharmacokinetics are different. You may not
tolerate Slo-Niacin though you tolerated Niaspan.
Nonetheless, you should inform your doctor if/when you make
the change so that s/he will monitor you more closely.

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

**
http://makeashorterlink.com/?L26062048

What is all this about?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?P28052048

Is this spam?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867

Oliver Costich wrote:
| I have been taking Niaspan but my prescription coverage is
| now gone and a I was startled to discover the 1000mg
| Niasapn is over $2 per tablet. That's absurd. Costco sells
| a product called Slo-Niacin at a far lower price. I have
| heard that these slow release products can cause liver
| problems but I tolerated the time release Niaspan well.
| Would I expect the Slo-Niacin to be any diferent?

Oliver,

Some forms of sustained release forms of Niacin have known
problems. You should work with your Dr in selecting an
alternative to Niaspan.

OTC NR (normal release) niacin (nicotinic acid) is the least
expensive alternative to Niaspan but you may experiance
greater flushing with its use. You may need to divide the
dose if the flushing is a problem for you. Of course the
daily dosage will need to be determined by your Dr to
acheive the same affect as Niaspan.

A slightly more costly version of Niacin is found in the
form of Inositol Hexanicotinate, the so called Flush Free
Niacin. Here nicotinic acid is bound to inositol which
creates a natural time release. Niacin is unbound from
inositol as the compound is broken down in your body. Here
is a good explanation: http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/fulltext/inositol1-
3.html (keep in mind the data may be outdated or not
accurate; this is an Internet source.) I find the Spring
Valley brand of IHN found at Wal-Mart to be pretty
reasonable: 60 capsules, 500 mg, ~$6.50.

Don't get confused with Niacinamide, this is not the same.

NR Niacin was long used before the invention of Niaspan.
Niaspan was a breakthorugh in Niacin treatment as it help
avoid the Niacin flush. Since it was now marketable as a
prescription medicine the drug company was able to invest in
safety and efficiacy studies. Frankly, without a means of

IMHO, Kevin

On Mon, 10 May 2004 21:45:55 -0400, "kahout"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Oliver Costich wrote:
>| I have been taking Niaspan but my prescription coverage
>| is now gone and a I was startled to discover the 1000mg
>| Niasapn is over $2 per tablet. That's absurd. Costco
>| sells a product called Slo-Niacin at a far lower price. I
>| have heard that these slow release products can cause
>| liver problems but I tolerated the time release Niaspan
>| well. Would I expect the Slo-Niacin to be any diferent?
>
>Oliver,
>
>Some forms of sustained release forms of Niacin have known
>problems. You should work with your Dr in selecting an
>alternative to Niaspan.
>
>OTC NR (normal release) niacin (nicotinic acid) is the
>least expensive alternative to Niaspan but you may
>experiance greater flushing with its use. You may need to
>divide the dose if the flushing is a problem for you. Of
>course the daily dosage will need to be determined by your
>Dr to acheive the same affect as Niaspan.
>
>A slightly more costly version of Niacin is found in the
>form of Inositol Hexanicotinate, the so called Flush Free
>Niacin. Here nicotinic acid is bound to inositol which
>creates a natural time release. Niacin is unbound from
>inositol as the compound is broken down in your body. Here
>is a good explanation: http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/fulltext/inositol1-
>3.html (keep in mind the data may be outdated or not
>accurate; this is an Internet source.) I find the Spring
>Valley brand of IHN found at Wal-Mart to be pretty
>reasonable: 60 capsules, 500 mg, ~$6.50.

Thanks. I have looked into this before and can't find
anything specific about its effect on HDL except that it is
presumed to work like ordinary niacin. What does it do for
you? My HDL without Niaspan is low 30s, with it mid 50s.

puritanspride.com has the 500mg for $10 for 3x50 capsules

Oliver Costich wrote in reply to:
|| A slightly more costly version of Niacin is found in the
|| form of Inositol Hexanicotinate, the so called Flush Free
|| Niacin. Here nicotinic acid is bound to inositol which
|| creates a natural time release. Niacin is unbound from
|| inositol as the compound is broken down in your body.
|| Here is a good explanation: http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/fulltext/inositol1-
|| 3.html (keep in mind the data may be outdated or not
|| accurate; this is an Internet source.) I find the Spring
|| Valley brand of IHN found at Wal-Mart to be pretty
|| reasonable: 60 capsules, 500 mg, ~$6.50.
|
| Thanks. I have looked into this before and can't find
| anything specific about its effect on HDL except that it
| is presumed to work like ordinary niacin. What does it
| do for you? My HDL without Niaspan is low 30s, with it
| mid 50s.
|
| puritanspride.com has the 500mg for $10 for 3x50 capsules

I have not yet returned to my doctor to get another lipid
profile. I am a bit remiss at doing this; my last result (pre-
niacin) were within acceptable limit but my goal was to
increase HDL, further lower lower LDL and Trg beyond my
regimin of low-carb and fish oil supplements.

The amount of material available on the Internet concerning
INH is slim. Here is one example: http://www.life-
enhancement.com/article_template.asp?ID=7#top I believe the
topic was somewhat covered in this forum some time ago. If
my memory is correct Dr Blanchard was supportive of INH for
use in Niacin therapy. You may want to google the subject or
ask Dr Blanchard (Sonos) yourself. He has his own website at
http://www.sonoscore.com/

Kevin

I've taken both the Rx and over the counter forms of niacin and have received sterling blood test results, My MD suggested I add the the niacin, as it heightens the oils & statin Rx results. I agree!

My MD is delighted. Understand, I also take Vytorin and Fish/Borage & Flax oils all along. Make sure the niacin is a slow release form, rapid release will not be effective, per my MD.

Rx is so expensive and a waste of $ for me.

Tim S.
Colorado