Nibali's worlds participation in doubt after vuelta a espana crash

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
Vincenzo Nibali’s participation in the World Championships road race is in doubt in the wake of his crash on the descent of El Cordal on Saturday’s penultimate stage of the Vuelta a España. The Bahrain-Merida rider finished the stage to secure second place overall behind Chris Froome, but he suffered a heavy blow to his left rib cage in the incident.

“The pain in his ribs is still there. It’s not insufferable, but Vincenzo will need to go and do an x-ray on Monday to remove all doubt,” Nibali’s coach Paolo Slongo told Tuttobici.

Although the course in Bergen is not believed to be selective enough for a rider of Nibali’s characteristics, he is understood to be in the running for a place in Italian coach Davide Cassani’s final, nine-man selection. In the wake of the Vuelta crash, however, Nibali may yet recuse himself from consideration.
ADVERTISEMENT

“I can’t say if Vincenzo would be able to respond to a call-up from Cassani for the Bergen Worlds, although I think it would be very difficult,” Slongo said. “The blow was a hard one, and breathing is causing him pain. On Saturday, he did something truly great in defending second place with such calmness. Now he needs to undergo scans and we’ll find out more. Let’s say that for Bergen, I think it’s going to be difficult. I think instead that Vincenzo should think about riding Il Lombardia as best he can. It’s a race that he really likes.”

Nibali was equally circumspect about his prospects of lining out at the Worlds when he spoke to La Gazzetta dello Sport on Sunday, suggesting that he had doubts about his participation even before his Vuelta crash.

“First of all, I have to understand how I’m feeling and see what I’ve done to my ribs, because I felt the blow,” Nibali told La Gazzetta. “I’ll decide based on that. Certainly, having spoken with the national coach, I realised that the course wasn’t suited to me and that the national team already has the right pieces. What role could I play?”

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com

Continue reading: Nibali's Worlds participation in doubt after Vuelta a Espana crash