"Nice bike!"

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Luigi De Guzman, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. so I'm walking down the street when I see a most unusual bike:

    It's grey, dirty, and full-fendered. Low-profile TT bullhorn bars. 700Cx25 tires, full fenders. BIG
    cantilever front brakes, no rear--wait, it's a fixed-gear! Track fork ends, at that....

    I'm busy contemplating this unusual species of two-wheeled life when its owner comes out of a door;
    he's a messenger, and I look very bike-thief-like. "nice bike" i say.

    "what's so nice about it?" he challenges me.

    "That's a fixed-gear, isn't it?" This must have passed a test. The messenger relaxes. I'm not going
    to jack him for his bike (which would have fit me just fine, too).

    "Yeah it is. Best thing for riding around town, this. You into bikes?"

    "A bit."

    anyway, this got me thinking: is there a sort of bike-admiration etiquette to be followed? I did
    feel rather embarassed to be caught examining his bike so closely, but I was only curious about the
    details of how it was put together and its interesting setup--but then, I did look rather dodgy. am
    I just too sad for my own good?

    [i never did get ask him too closely about the bike--he was working after all, and if the bike is
    feeding him, i didn't feel right holding him up unduly. maybe a track frame with a cyclocross fork
    installed?]

    (I should say that the london messenger crowd seems to ride everything and anything, which makes
    them interesting to watch. I've seen battered road frames, track bikes, mtbs, and...this, which
    seems to defy any real classification)

    -Luigi

    Tags:

  2. "Bernie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone out there have some wheel advice for my 700c wheels? I'd sure
    like
    > them to be tougher, just so I can ride country roads (on the edge where
    the
    > metal junk, cracks, and holes are) at night at speed. I love to ride my
    hybrid,
    > but had the innocent exptation that the wheel/spoke assembly would be
    tougher.
    > Bernie

    I've been riding my Gary Fisher Utopia with Rolf Vector Hybrid wheels for over two years now. In the
    wintertime I've put studded Nokia tires on it and go everywhere at full speed. Especially on
    clubrides. I haven't even had a flat.

    --
    Replace the dots to reply

    Perre

  3. Andrew Price

    Andrew Price Guest

    "Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > so I'm walking down the street when I see a most unusual bike:
    >
    > anyway, this got me thinking: is there a sort of bike-admiration etiquette to be followed?

    After morning cycle training I shower in my building and change into the office clobber and get a
    coffee (long strong skinny cap to go) from a Brazilian guy outside our building, who for some reason
    seems to attract the cycle courier lads in Sydney between deliveries (a reliable indicator of good
    cheap coffee I think).

    Because it takes a couple of minutes to making proper coffee I spend those moments watching how the
    couriers have set up their bikes.

    Interesting things noticed -

    Detachable plastic fenders (didn't know they could go on and off so easily)

    Surprising number of fixed gear bikes

    Surprisingly few suspended mtbs (they go to bunny hopping school early)

    More mtb pedals and shoes than road cleats

    Easily moveable but bright LED's

    Not a lot of valuable removable items on the bike

    Quick, much used locks

    Bomb proof 32or36 spoked wheels

    I have started a daily conversation with these guys and I think they are still bemused with the
    office guy who seems to take an active interest in their day jobs !

    Little do they know I harbour a desire to do a few laps of the city with them, when that days
    training was a bit short or easy !

    best, Andrew (remove the .x1 to reply)

    "But riding is my special gift, my chiefest, sole delight; Just ask a wild duck can it swim, a
    wildcat can it fight... I'll ride this here two-wheeled concern, right straight away, at sight." A B
    'Banjo' Patterson - "Mulga Bill" 25 July 1896.

  4. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Andrew Price"
    <[email protected]> writes:

    > Interesting things noticed -

    > Surprising number of fixed gear bikes

    Apparently they're harder to steal, and offer would-be thieves a Big Surprise when they try to
    ride them.

    cheers, Tom