Nice letter to the editor on Lance and doping

No_Positives

Aug 15, 2007
http://www.cyclingnews.com/letters.php?id=letters/2008/08-28letters#7

Lance and the doping debate

Yes Steve is right; Lance's performances show a consistency throughout his career which is atypical of doping. Here's a bloke who had always been strong. In a powerhouse performance that really stood out, he rode the field off his wheel to win the Worlds [2003 in Oslo, Norway - Ed].

Yes he did bonk and recover in 2000 which was either like Landis or like Indurain in 1996 take your pick. Granted he did recover remarkably well but generally his form hasn't had the variations of say Riis who in 1995 was lucky to come 3rd and looked utterly finished but came back to flatten everyone in 1996 or Rasmussen's long-term up and down form (as remarked on by Cadel Evans who's ridden against him for years). I remain open to the possibility that he did dope but hopeful that he didn't. On balance (especially as NO ONE has produced any evidence that Lance did dope and I like those quaint principles like innocent till proven guilty) I think Lance is probably one of the most phenomenal athletes I have ever seen.

As to the back and forth around Evans, can anyone remember a rider coming down so hard (over the bars and onto his back hard enough to crack his helmet) and still finishing 2nd? Given the known physiological affects of a bad crash it was a remarkable feat.

David Thompson you are quite right Miguel Indurain won 5 Tours without once winning a road stage.

Justin Larkin

Friday, August 22, 2008

No_Positives said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/letters.php?id=letters/2008/08-28letters#7

Lance and the doping debate

Yes Steve is right; Lance's performances show a consistency throughout his career which is atypical of doping. Here's a bloke who had always been strong. In a powerhouse performance that really stood out, he rode the field off his wheel to win the Worlds [2003 in Oslo, Norway - Ed].

Yes he did bonk and recover in 2000 which was either like Landis or like Indurain in 1996 take your pick. Granted he did recover remarkably well but generally his form hasn't had the variations of say Riis who in 1995 was lucky to come 3rd and looked utterly finished but came back to flatten everyone in 1996 or Rasmussen's long-term up and down form (as remarked on by Cadel Evans who's ridden against him for years). I remain open to the possibility that he did dope but hopeful that he didn't. On balance (especially as NO ONE has produced any evidence that Lance did dope and I like those quaint principles like innocent till proven guilty) I think Lance is probably one of the most phenomenal athletes I have ever seen.

As to the back and forth around Evans, can anyone remember a rider coming down so hard (over the bars and onto his back hard enough to crack his helmet) and still finishing 2nd? Given the known physiological affects of a bad crash it was a remarkable feat.

David Thompson you are quite right Miguel Indurain won 5 Tours without once winning a road stage.

Justin Larkin

Friday, August 22, 2008

Leave aside the discussion about Lance - we all know what the evidence is; it either convinces you or it does not.

But everyone always says that Indurain never won a road stage. Utter **** - he won two. Yes, they were both before his first tour win. He always gave the stage to his companion thereafter.

Whatever you think of Indurain's methods and preparation - he was a true sportsman and a gentleman.

258Troll_spray.jpg

Clueless troll alert, better get out the spray

Runitout said:
Whatever you think of Indurain's methods and preparation - he was a true sportsman and a gentleman.
umm?? huh?? what?? You're admitting that his preparation was questionable, but he's a true sportsman???

thoughtforfood said:
Damn, I could have sworn you huffed gas exclusively.

Armstrong took drugs, the moon landings really happened, the twin towers were bombed by the US government, america caused the war in Georgia.

Or the other way around. I forget.

Eldron said:
Armstrong took drugs, the moon landings really happened, the twin towers were bombed by the US government, america caused the war in Georgia.

Or the other way around. I forget.
you left out "professional wrestling is fake" from your list.

thoughtforfood said:
Yea, I know, grandma' thinks I am crazy for talkin' such blasphemy but I done heared the chairs are made of cardboard.
but, but,.....

where's the effin fern