Nice move by Simoni

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Robert Chung, May 20, 2003.

  1. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    He showed good aggressiveness. The chase behind was just a tiny bit too disorganized. I can see the
    maglia rosa swapping shoulders a couple more times before Milano.

    Tags:

  2. Tc Rider

    Tc Rider Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > He showed good aggressiveness. The chase behind was just a tiny bit too disorganized. I can see
    > the maglia rosa swapping shoulders a couple more times before Milano.

    Yeah, it was wonderful to see a major tour contendor actually attack somewhere besides a mountain
    stage. As much as I have to admire the calculating style of riders nowadays, I really admire someone
    pugnacious enough to try and put their competitors in a world of hurt, Hinault-style. This whole
    stage reminds of a flattened version of Hinault's attack on the Stelvio (1980?) when he sent
    Bernadeu up the road, then attacked and joined him to put minutes and minutes into everyone else.
    It's too bad Simoni's teammate didn't have better legs -- with a little more help on the flats,
    Simoni could have easily taken a minute out of Garzelli.

    This is going to be a stormin' Giro...

    TC

  3. J999w

    J999w Guest

    How about those pulls by Casagrande ... he had the bunch S T R U N G out !

    jw

  4. Jamce1

    Jamce1 Guest

    yeah, i wonder if bruyneel was watching?

    his "one size fits all" method of attacking the last half of the last mountain on a stage works fine
    for armstrong, but not heras. i dont know if this strategy cost heras spain last year, but it
    certainly did not help. and, who is to say he could have taken more time out of gonzalez by
    attacking earlier in stages? but, why not at least try???

    regardless, simoni understands he needs all the time he can get with the long time trials coming up,
    and acted accordingly. bruyneel would have had heras sit in the group eating banannas all day.

    chris

    >Subject: Re: Nice move by Simoni From: "TC Rider" [email protected] Date: 5/20/03 11:57 AM
    >Pacific Daylight Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    >

    >"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> He showed good aggressiveness. The chase behind was just a tiny bit too disorganized. I can see
    >> the maglia rosa swapping shoulders a couple more times before Milano.
    >
    >Yeah, it was wonderful to see a major tour contendor actually attack somewhere besides a mountain
    >stage. As much as I have to admire the calculating style of riders nowadays, I really admire
    >someone pugnacious enough to try and put their competitors in a world of hurt, Hinault-style. This
    >whole stage reminds of a flattened version of Hinault's attack on the Stelvio (1980?) when he sent
    >Bernadeu up the road, then attacked and joined him to put minutes and minutes into everyone else.
    >It's too bad Simoni's teammate didn't have better legs -- with a little more help on the flats,
    >Simoni could have easily taken a minute out of Garzelli.
    >
    >This is going to be a stormin' Giro...
    >
    >TC

  5. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > He showed good aggressiveness. The chase behind was just a tiny bit
    too
    > disorganized. I can see the maglia rosa swapping shoulders a couple
    more
    > times before Milano.

    This really shows something - last year we have Garzelli and Simoni being treated like dopers and
    there were claims of "That's why they're so much faster than the rest". But this year they have
    the vampires on them like leeches and they are still the two guys head and shoulders above
    everyone else.

    Any bets that the Tour is going to be as interesting as the rest of this Giro?

    Especially without Cipo. We won't even have his outrageous jerseys to liven it up.

  6. Benjo Maso

    Benjo Maso Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > He showed good aggressiveness. The chase behind was just a tiny bit too disorganized. I can see
    > the maglia rosa swapping shoulders a couple more times before Milano.

    Simoni's own comment on his website ( http://www.simonigilberto.it )

    `When I got away I didn't aspect they would let me go, but when I saw I had a lead of 30 seconds I
    said to myself ... now they must come and get me.The pink jersey, that pink jersey I had two years
    before, and which I couldn't put on last year. My opponents now have to suffer to take it away from
    me. However, now begins the hard part ... in my opinion the next four days will be decisive'

    Benjo Maso

  7. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Very strong race by Simoni. Should give gim a lot of confidence for the climb of the Zoncolan on
    thursday. I expect Garzelli to crack there. He's good but he has the disadvantage of the little
    competition that he had before the giro. Someday he's gonna pay the price for that.