nice SUV article

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 03:47:15 GMT, "Monty Montgomery" <[email protected]> wrote:

>http://cgi.newcity.com/exitlog/frameset.php?close=http://www.newsreview.com/
>issues/chico/2003-01-09/cover.asp&back=http://www.newcity.com

Quote: "Like every muscle car before it, SUVs are big, dangerous and superfluous, but they're also
poetry made of metal" - If so, the poetry is undoubtedly written by William Topaz McGonagall :-/

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

"Hijo de la Changa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| Here's the best article ever on the SUV issue:
|
| http://makeashorterlink.com/?N24911233

from the article: "...These days moral energies are directed at health, safety and risk. Narcissism,
dishonesty and promiscuity are regarded as mere lifestyle choices. But driving a car with trunk
space is a sin worse than seven of the Ten Commandments. This is defining righteousness down...."

ED3

"Edward Dike, III" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "...These days moral energies are directed at health, safety and risk. Narcissism, dishonesty and
> promiscuity are regarded as mere lifestyle choices. But driving a car with trunk space is a sin
> worse than seven of the Ten Commandments. This is defining righteousness down...."

hmmm.... i'm thinking about how Wall Street is getting reamed six ways to sunday for non-disclosure
and conflict of interest and ... well, dishonesty. And I don't believe we're on the verge of yet
another foriegn war over narcissism or promiscuity.

One of the big issues in the Tonka Truck/Kid-UV debate is the fundamental lying, the intellectual
dishonesty of the drivers who shrilly claim their absolute incontrovertable neeeeeeed for their
wheeled battlecruisers, vehicles used in exactly the same way their neighbors' little wind up cars
are: going to the grocery store and visiting the mall and driving down well-maintained expressways
to work and nothing more, ever. (want to give a Navigator owner a heart attack? Suggest moving a
lawn mower or a garden tiller in their vehicle. Or offer to show them a nice offroad course. heh.)

The author at least has the honesty to openly admit that Tonka Trucks are really just the post
millenial verison of the 60's muscle car. Frankly, I can respect the position of someone who says
"**** you, i want a Big Giant SUV becuz its q00l!!!" much more than the mealy mouthed
rationalizations of the greater majority of SUV owners.

I might add that I find the author's choice of Narcissism as an unaddressed modern sin more worthy
of attention than SUVs ... hilarious in the context of SUV purchasing motivational matrices.

.max

--
the part of <[email protected]> was played by maxwell monningh 8-p

"Edward Dike, III" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> from the article: "...These days moral energies are directed at health, safety and risk.
> Narcissism, dishonesty and promiscuity are regarded as mere lifestyle choices. But driving a car
> with trunk space is a sin worse than seven of
the
> Ten Commandments. This is defining righteousness down...."

The next line says it well:

"If we're going to have moral fervors--and though they're insufferable, they're overall a positive
feature of life--then let's at least have them about things that really matter."

> Quote: "Like every muscle car before it, SUVs are big, dangerous and superfluous, but they're also
> poetry made of metal" - If so, the poetry is undoubtedly written by William Topaz McGonagall :-/

Just because you don't want one doesn't make them a bad thing. Some of these vehicles are incredibly
plush inside, have lots of interior volume and they can get around well in bad weather. I wouldn't
spend the amount of money that is needed for one of the luxury models, but I don't have any problems
at all if others want to buy them.

Mark Jones wrote:

> Just because you don't want one doesn't make them a bad thing.

That's not what makes them a bad thing! SUVs have plenty of characteristics that make them
bad things.

In fact, it's all those characteristics that make me not want one. IOW, you've things exactly
backwards.

--
Frank Krygowski [email protected]

Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:58:45 -0600, <[email protected]>, "Mark Jones"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Some of these vehicles are incredibly plush inside, have lots of interior volume and they can get
>around well in bad weather. I wouldn't spend the amount of money that is needed for one of the
>luxury models

To make the Escalade, GM essentially put lots of chrome and optional equipment on a GMC Yukon SUV,
which in turn is little more than a fancy version of a Chevrolet Tahoe SUV. The Tahoe, in turn, uses
the underbody and a lot of other parts from the full-size Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck. So
Cadillac was essentially taking a $20,000 work truck, tricking it up with lots of chrome, leather
seats, and a fancy stereo, and selling it for close to $50,000.
--
zk

"Mark Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Quote: "Like every muscle car before it, SUVs are big, dangerous and superfluous, but they're
> > also poetry made of metal" - If so, the poetry is undoubtedly written by William Topaz
> > McGonagall :-/
>
> Just because you don't want one doesn't make them a bad thing.

Yes, it does. This is what you are slow to understand. They don't like them, therefore they're bad.
They have decided.

Money = BAD Businesses = BAD Guns = BAD Churches = BAD SUVs = BAD Military = BAD

Rosemary's Baby George Clooney ranting = Free Speech = GOOD Right Wing Talk Radio = Hate
Speech = BAD

Get with the program, learn the template. It'll save you a lot of painful and difficult thinking.

Hijo de la Changa wrote:
> They have decided.
>
> Money = BAD Businesses = BAD Guns = BAD Churches = BAD SUVs = BAD Military = BAD

Since my opinions differ, you obviously weren't writing about me.

> Get with the program, learn the template. It'll save you a lot of painful and difficult thinking.

Sounds to me like you've got your own template - probably for the same reason!

--
Frank Krygowski [email protected]

> Get with the program, learn the template. It'll save you a lot of painful and difficult thinking.

Doesn't change the fact that a 'luxury' SUV is an inelegant, inefficient, unsafe, and uncouth
vehicle. If I had fifty g's to drop on an auto, and didn't want to take it off-road, I'd look for
something with a bit more class--and something that didn't handle like a whale on quaaludes.

-Luigi

"All reactionaries are paper tigers. In appearance, the reactionaries are terrifying, but in reality
they are not so powerful. From a long-term point of view, it is not the reactionaries but the
people who are really powerful."
- Mao Tse-tung

"Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Mark Jones wrote:
> >
> > Just because you don't want one doesn't make them a bad thing.
>
> That's not what makes them a bad thing! SUVs have plenty of characteristics that make them
> bad things.
>
> In fact, it's all those characteristics that make me not want one. IOW, you've things exactly
> backwards.
Actually, no I don't. I don't agree with your limited view of what people should do when it comes to
picking a vehicle. If someone wants a big, plush, fuel hungry vehicle and they have the means to get
it, I say go for it.

SUVs are not bad just because some people don't like them. I don't want one because they don't fit
my vehicle needs, but if I needed one, I wouldn't hesitate a second to go buy on.

"Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:58:45 -0600, <[email protected]>, "Mark Jones"
> <[email protected]> wrote:

> To make the Escalade, GM essentially put lots of chrome and optional equipment on a GMC Yukon SUV,
> which in turn is little more than a fancy version of a Chevrolet Tahoe SUV. The Tahoe, in turn,
> uses the underbody and a lot of other parts from the full-size Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck.
> So Cadillac was essentially taking a $20,000 work truck, tricking it up with lots of chrome,
> leather seats, and a fancy stereo, and selling it for close to $50,000.
> --
> zk

And addding weight and changing the tires for softer feel tires, so you have a heavier vehicle that
gets poorer mileage for the same set-up and it is more dangerous to drive - all the while being sold
to people less likely to know the difference (sure, the SUV is just a big car...)

--
Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...

"Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> To make the Escalade, GM essentially put lots of chrome and optional equipment on a GMC Yukon SUV,
> which in turn is little more than a fancy version of a Chevrolet Tahoe SUV. The Tahoe, in turn,
> uses the underbody and a lot of other parts from the full-size Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck.
> So Cadillac was essentially taking a $20,000 work truck, tricking it up with lots of chrome,
> leather seats, and a fancy stereo, and selling it for close to $50,000.
You say this like it is a bad thing. I think it is great that the Silverado chassis is the starting
point instead of some weaker chassis that isn't up to the task of handling the weight. If GM can
turn a huge profit selling these, it just means that they have a vehicle that people want and are
willing to pay the extra money for.

"Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Get with the program, learn the template. It'll save you a lot of
painful
> > and difficult thinking.
>
> Doesn't change the fact that a 'luxury' SUV is an inelegant, inefficient, unsafe, and uncouth
> vehicle. If I had fifty g's to drop on an auto, and didn't want to take it off-road, I'd look for
> something with a bit more class--and something that didn't handle like a whale on quaaludes.
A luxury SUV is a plush riding, comfortable vehicle that is fairly efficient given its weight. It is
only unsafe if driven by someone who doesn't know how to drive it properly. You can't drive it like
a smaller vehicle, but this does not make it unsafe.

They are nice looking and enjoyable vehicles to ride in. The plush interior makes them a good choice
for a family that can afford on. The comfort of a luxury vehicle and an SUV in one package.

Interesting quote. You sound like one of these reactionaries.

In article <slrn.pl.b2ngre.26t.mefju@mefju>, [email protected] says...
> 18 Jan 2003 17:52:47 -0800, R.White :
> >> Here's the hummer site. http://www.hummer.com/hummerjsp/index.jsp
> >>
> >> Trust me, this is NOT a satire site.
> >
> > I just love the H1 propaganda,
> >
> > " A vehicle that can go almost anywhere and do almost anything. One that gives you an incredible
> > freedom and allows you to experiance the world and your place in it like never before."
> >
> > This would apply more to a bicycle than a $100K vehicle.
>
> http://www.hummer.com/hummerjsp/popups/h2/images/h2_bike.jpg
>
> EXTRA WHEELS
>
> HUMMER Mountain Bike
>
> Like the HUMMER itself, the HUMMER Mountain Bike is durable, functional and tough as nails.
> Created for U.S. Marine paratroopers by the Montague Corporation, its rugged design allows it to
> be dropped from military aircraft, traverse any terrain at high speeds, and fold into a compact
> 3ft. by 3ft. portable size with the turn of one quick release lever.
>
> Why is it a folding bike? Hummer is so big, that taking normal bike will be no problem. But normal
> bikes are not so cool.
>

> maciek

It's funny though, before they got is deal those low end groupo equiped bikes were just another
novelty item at Wal-mart.
--
_________________________

> Mark Jones wrote:
> >
> > Just because you don't want one doesn't make them a bad thing.
>
> That's not what makes them a bad thing! SUVs have plenty of characteristics that make them
> bad things.
>
> In fact, it's all those characteristics that make me not want one. IOW, you've things exactly
> backwards.
>

> --
> Frank Krygowski [email protected]

******** about supporting terrorism makes me want one. Anything to ******** those do as I say but
not as I do types.
--
_________________________

> "Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:58:45 -0600, <[email protected]>, "Mark Jones"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > To make the Escalade, GM essentially put lots of chrome and optional equipment on a GMC Yukon
> > SUV, which in turn is little more than a fancy version of a Chevrolet Tahoe SUV. The Tahoe, in
> > turn, uses the underbody and a lot of other parts from the full-size Chevrolet Silverado pickup
> > truck. So Cadillac was essentially taking a $20,000 work truck, tricking it up with lots of
> > chrome, leather seats, and a fancy stereo, and selling it for close to $50,000.
> > --
> > zk
>
> And addding weight and changing the tires for softer feel tires, so you have a heavier vehicle
> that gets poorer mileage for the same set-up and it is more dangerous to drive - all the while
> being sold to people less likely to know the difference (sure, the SUV is just a big car...)
>

> --
> Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...

Then they steped it up a notch and made the H2 out of it. Finally, all the offroad capability a 30
year old house wife needs as illustrated by their ads. At least Toyota brought the 4 Runner to
Everest to film the commercial. I think the H2 is driving through east LA in the lastest one. I
wonder if it has an UZI gun rack.
--
_________________________

In article <[email protected]>, luigi12081 @cox.net says...
> > Get with the program, learn the template. It'll save you a lot of painful and difficult
> > thinking.
>
> Doesn't change the fact that a 'luxury' SUV is an inelegant, inefficient, unsafe, and uncouth
> vehicle. If I had fifty g's to drop on an auto, and didn't want to take it off-road, I'd look for
> something with a bit more class--and something that didn't handle like a whale on quaaludes.
>
> -Luigi

Unsafe? How many cars put 2 tones of steel and a computer controled stability system betewen you and
the fleet of mini vans on the road? Sorry but you can't lump these luxury SUVs in with Ford
Explorers, these things pretty much have you covered from every angle with airbags and a computer is
doing half your driving for you.
--