nice SUV article

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Monty Montgomer, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.


  1. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 03:47:15 GMT, "Monty Montgomery" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >http://cgi.newcity.com/exitlog/frameset.php?close=http://www.newsreview.com/
    >issues/chico/2003-01-09/cover.asp&back=http://www.newcity.com

    Quote: "Like every muscle car before it, SUVs are big, dangerous and superfluous, but they're also
    poetry made of metal" - If so, the poetry is undoubtedly written by William Topaz McGonagall :-/

    Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    work. Apologies.
     
  2. Edward Dike

    Edward Dike Guest

    "Hijo de la Changa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | Here's the best article ever on the SUV issue:
    |
    | http://makeashorterlink.com/?N24911233
    |
    |

    from the article: "...These days moral energies are directed at health, safety and risk. Narcissism,
    dishonesty and promiscuity are regarded as mere lifestyle choices. But driving a car with trunk
    space is a sin worse than seven of the Ten Commandments. This is defining righteousness down...."

    ED3
     
  3. Max

    Max Guest

    "Edward Dike, III" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "...These days moral energies are directed at health, safety and risk. Narcissism, dishonesty and
    > promiscuity are regarded as mere lifestyle choices. But driving a car with trunk space is a sin
    > worse than seven of the Ten Commandments. This is defining righteousness down...."

    hmmm.... i'm thinking about how Wall Street is getting reamed six ways to sunday for non-disclosure
    and conflict of interest and ... well, dishonesty. And I don't believe we're on the verge of yet
    another foriegn war over narcissism or promiscuity.

    One of the big issues in the Tonka Truck/Kid-UV debate is the fundamental lying, the intellectual
    dishonesty of the drivers who shrilly claim their absolute incontrovertable neeeeeeed for their
    wheeled battlecruisers, vehicles used in exactly the same way their neighbors' little wind up cars
    are: going to the grocery store and visiting the mall and driving down well-maintained expressways
    to work and nothing more, ever. (want to give a Navigator owner a heart attack? Suggest moving a
    lawn mower or a garden tiller in their vehicle. Or offer to show them a nice offroad course. heh.)

    The author at least has the honesty to openly admit that Tonka Trucks are really just the post
    millenial verison of the 60's muscle car. Frankly, I can respect the position of someone who says
    "fuck you, i want a Big Giant SUV becuz its q00l!!!" much more than the mealy mouthed
    rationalizations of the greater majority of SUV owners.

    I might add that I find the author's choice of Narcissism as an unaddressed modern sin more worthy
    of attention than SUVs ... hilarious in the context of SUV purchasing motivational matrices.

    .max

    --
    the part of <[email protected]> was played by maxwell monningh 8-p
     
  4. Mark Jones

    Mark Jones Guest

    "Edward Dike, III" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > from the article: "...These days moral energies are directed at health, safety and risk.
    > Narcissism, dishonesty and promiscuity are regarded as mere lifestyle choices. But driving a car
    > with trunk space is a sin worse than seven of
    the
    > Ten Commandments. This is defining righteousness down...."

    The next line says it well:

    "If we're going to have moral fervors--and though they're insufferable, they're overall a positive
    feature of life--then let's at least have them about things that really matter."
     
  5. Mark Jones

    Mark Jones Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Quote: "Like every muscle car before it, SUVs are big, dangerous and superfluous, but they're also
    > poetry made of metal" - If so, the poetry is undoubtedly written by William Topaz McGonagall :-/

    Just because you don't want one doesn't make them a bad thing. Some of these vehicles are incredibly
    plush inside, have lots of interior volume and they can get around well in bad weather. I wouldn't
    spend the amount of money that is needed for one of the luxury models, but I don't have any problems
    at all if others want to buy them.
     
  6. Mark Jones wrote:
    >
    > Just because you don't want one doesn't make them a bad thing.

    That's not what makes them a bad thing! SUVs have plenty of characteristics that make them
    bad things.

    In fact, it's all those characteristics that make me not want one. IOW, you've things exactly
    backwards.

    --
    Frank Krygowski [email protected]
     
  7. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:58:45 -0600, <[email protected]>, "Mark Jones"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Some of these vehicles are incredibly plush inside, have lots of interior volume and they can get
    >around well in bad weather. I wouldn't spend the amount of money that is needed for one of the
    >luxury models

    To make the Escalade, GM essentially put lots of chrome and optional equipment on a GMC Yukon SUV,
    which in turn is little more than a fancy version of a Chevrolet Tahoe SUV. The Tahoe, in turn, uses
    the underbody and a lot of other parts from the full-size Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck. So
    Cadillac was essentially taking a $20,000 work truck, tricking it up with lots of chrome, leather
    seats, and a fancy stereo, and selling it for close to $50,000.
    --
    zk
     
  8. "Mark Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Quote: "Like every muscle car before it, SUVs are big, dangerous and superfluous, but they're
    > > also poetry made of metal" - If so, the poetry is undoubtedly written by William Topaz
    > > McGonagall :-/
    >
    > Just because you don't want one doesn't make them a bad thing.

    Yes, it does. This is what you are slow to understand. They don't like them, therefore they're bad.
    They have decided.

    Money = BAD Businesses = BAD Guns = BAD Churches = BAD SUVs = BAD Military = BAD

    Rosemary's Baby George Clooney ranting = Free Speech = GOOD Right Wing Talk Radio = Hate
    Speech = BAD

    Get with the program, learn the template. It'll save you a lot of painful and difficult thinking.
     
  9. Hijo de la Changa wrote:
    > They have decided.
    >
    > Money = BAD Businesses = BAD Guns = BAD Churches = BAD SUVs = BAD Military = BAD

    Since my opinions differ, you obviously weren't writing about me.

    > Get with the program, learn the template. It'll save you a lot of painful and difficult thinking.

    Sounds to me like you've got your own template - probably for the same reason!

    --
    Frank Krygowski [email protected]
     
  10. > Get with the program, learn the template. It'll save you a lot of painful and difficult thinking.

    Doesn't change the fact that a 'luxury' SUV is an inelegant, inefficient, unsafe, and uncouth
    vehicle. If I had fifty g's to drop on an auto, and didn't want to take it off-road, I'd look for
    something with a bit more class--and something that didn't handle like a whale on quaaludes.

    -Luigi

    "All reactionaries are paper tigers. In appearance, the reactionaries are terrifying, but in reality
    they are not so powerful. From a long-term point of view, it is not the reactionaries but the
    people who are really powerful."
    - Mao Tse-tung
     
  11. Mark Jones

    Mark Jones Guest

    "Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Mark Jones wrote:
    > >
    > > Just because you don't want one doesn't make them a bad thing.
    >
    > That's not what makes them a bad thing! SUVs have plenty of characteristics that make them
    > bad things.
    >
    > In fact, it's all those characteristics that make me not want one. IOW, you've things exactly
    > backwards.
    Actually, no I don't. I don't agree with your limited view of what people should do when it comes to
    picking a vehicle. If someone wants a big, plush, fuel hungry vehicle and they have the means to get
    it, I say go for it.

    SUVs are not bad just because some people don't like them. I don't want one because they don't fit
    my vehicle needs, but if I needed one, I wouldn't hesitate a second to go buy on.
     
  12. "Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:58:45 -0600, <[email protected]>, "Mark Jones"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:

    ...
    > To make the Escalade, GM essentially put lots of chrome and optional equipment on a GMC Yukon SUV,
    > which in turn is little more than a fancy version of a Chevrolet Tahoe SUV. The Tahoe, in turn,
    > uses the underbody and a lot of other parts from the full-size Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck.
    > So Cadillac was essentially taking a $20,000 work truck, tricking it up with lots of chrome,
    > leather seats, and a fancy stereo, and selling it for close to $50,000.
    > --
    > zk

    And addding weight and changing the tires for softer feel tires, so you have a heavier vehicle that
    gets poorer mileage for the same set-up and it is more dangerous to drive - all the while being sold
    to people less likely to know the difference (sure, the SUV is just a big car...)

    --
    Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...
     
  13. Mark Jones

    Mark Jones Guest

    "Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > To make the Escalade, GM essentially put lots of chrome and optional equipment on a GMC Yukon SUV,
    > which in turn is little more than a fancy version of a Chevrolet Tahoe SUV. The Tahoe, in turn,
    > uses the underbody and a lot of other parts from the full-size Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck.
    > So Cadillac was essentially taking a $20,000 work truck, tricking it up with lots of chrome,
    > leather seats, and a fancy stereo, and selling it for close to $50,000.
    You say this like it is a bad thing. I think it is great that the Silverado chassis is the starting
    point instead of some weaker chassis that isn't up to the task of handling the weight. If GM can
    turn a huge profit selling these, it just means that they have a vehicle that people want and are
    willing to pay the extra money for.
     
  14. Mark Jones

    Mark Jones Guest

    "Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Get with the program, learn the template. It'll save you a lot of
    painful
    > > and difficult thinking.
    >
    > Doesn't change the fact that a 'luxury' SUV is an inelegant, inefficient, unsafe, and uncouth
    > vehicle. If I had fifty g's to drop on an auto, and didn't want to take it off-road, I'd look for
    > something with a bit more class--and something that didn't handle like a whale on quaaludes.
    A luxury SUV is a plush riding, comfortable vehicle that is fairly efficient given its weight. It is
    only unsafe if driven by someone who doesn't know how to drive it properly. You can't drive it like
    a smaller vehicle, but this does not make it unsafe.

    They are nice looking and enjoyable vehicles to ride in. The plush interior makes them a good choice
    for a family that can afford on. The comfort of a luxury vehicle and an SUV in one package.

    Interesting quote. You sound like one of these reactionaries.
     
  15. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > 18 Jan 2003 17:52:47 -0800, R.White :
    > >> Here's the hummer site. http://www.hummer.com/hummerjsp/index.jsp
    > >>
    > >> Trust me, this is NOT a satire site.
    > >
    > > I just love the H1 propaganda,
    > >
    > > " A vehicle that can go almost anywhere and do almost anything. One that gives you an incredible
    > > freedom and allows you to experiance the world and your place in it like never before."
    > >
    > > This would apply more to a bicycle than a $100K vehicle.
    >
    > http://www.hummer.com/hummerjsp/popups/h2/images/h2_bike.jpg
    >
    > EXTRA WHEELS
    >
    > HUMMER Mountain Bike
    >
    > Like the HUMMER itself, the HUMMER Mountain Bike is durable, functional and tough as nails.
    > Created for U.S. Marine paratroopers by the Montague Corporation, its rugged design allows it to
    > be dropped from military aircraft, traverse any terrain at high speeds, and fold into a compact
    > 3ft. by 3ft. portable size with the turn of one quick release lever.
    >
    > Why is it a folding bike? Hummer is so big, that taking normal bike will be no problem. But normal
    > bikes are not so cool.
    >
    >
    > maciek
    >

    It's funny though, before they got is deal those low end groupo equiped bikes were just another
    novelty item at Wal-mart.
    --
    _________________________
    Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-online.com
     
  16. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Mark Jones wrote:
    > >
    > > Just because you don't want one doesn't make them a bad thing.
    >
    > That's not what makes them a bad thing! SUVs have plenty of characteristics that make them
    > bad things.
    >
    > In fact, it's all those characteristics that make me not want one. IOW, you've things exactly
    > backwards.
    >
    >
    > --
    > Frank Krygowski [email protected]
    >

    Bullshit about supporting terrorism makes me want one. Anything to piss off those do as I say but
    not as I do types.
    --
    _________________________
    Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-online.com
     
  17. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > "Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:58:45 -0600, <[email protected]>, "Mark Jones"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > ...
    > > To make the Escalade, GM essentially put lots of chrome and optional equipment on a GMC Yukon
    > > SUV, which in turn is little more than a fancy version of a Chevrolet Tahoe SUV. The Tahoe, in
    > > turn, uses the underbody and a lot of other parts from the full-size Chevrolet Silverado pickup
    > > truck. So Cadillac was essentially taking a $20,000 work truck, tricking it up with lots of
    > > chrome, leather seats, and a fancy stereo, and selling it for close to $50,000.
    > > --
    > > zk
    >
    > And addding weight and changing the tires for softer feel tires, so you have a heavier vehicle
    > that gets poorer mileage for the same set-up and it is more dangerous to drive - all the while
    > being sold to people less likely to know the difference (sure, the SUV is just a big car...)
    >
    >
    > --
    > Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...
    >
    >
    >

    Then they steped it up a notch and made the H2 out of it. Finally, all the offroad capability a 30
    year old house wife needs as illustrated by their ads. At least Toyota brought the 4 Runner to
    Everest to film the commercial. I think the H2 is driving through east LA in the lastest one. I
    wonder if it has an UZI gun rack.
    --
    _________________________
    Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-online.com
     
  18. In article <[email protected]>, luigi12081 @cox.net says...
    > > Get with the program, learn the template. It'll save you a lot of painful and difficult
    > > thinking.
    >
    > Doesn't change the fact that a 'luxury' SUV is an inelegant, inefficient, unsafe, and uncouth
    > vehicle. If I had fifty g's to drop on an auto, and didn't want to take it off-road, I'd look for
    > something with a bit more class--and something that didn't handle like a whale on quaaludes.
    >
    > -Luigi

    Unsafe? How many cars put 2 tones of steel and a computer controled stability system betewen you and
    the fleet of mini vans on the road? Sorry but you can't lump these luxury SUVs in with Ford
    Explorers, these things pretty much have you covered from every angle with airbags and a computer is
    doing half your driving for you.
    --
    _________________________
    Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-online.com
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...