Nice Weekend in CT

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Stephanie, Mar 14, 2003.

  1. Stephanie

    Stephanie Guest

    Should be warm enough to ride here, even for someone who dislikes the cold as much as I do. Any
    advice on how to dress for 40-50 degrees? This will be city streets and some country roads. First
    time out in cold weather for more than a couple miles.

    Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Stephanie"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Should be warm enough to ride here, even for someone who dislikes the cold as much as I do. Any
    > advice on how to dress for 40-50 degrees? This will be city streets and some country roads. First
    > time out in cold weather for more than a couple miles.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Layers

    Windproof socks or booties.

    Enjoy!

  3. Archer

    Archer Guest

    I got out last weekend for the first time a little east of you in RI, and it was about 50. I had a
    sweatshirt under a windbreaker over a T- shirt, and long tights; it was too much. I should have worn
    bike shorts, and just the shirt and windbreaker. If you are like me, and like to be a little warm
    rather than a little cold, maybe long tights and a windbreaker, since it's going to be a little
    cooler this weekend than last weekend was.

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Should be warm enough to ride here, even for someone who dislikes the cold as much as I do. Any
    > advice on how to dress for 40-50 degrees? This will be city streets and some country roads. First
    > time out in cold weather for more than a couple miles.
    >
    > Thanks!

    it's morning".

  4. Stephanie

    Stephanie Guest

    Yep that's what I'm thinking...the socks thing has me a bit concerned because my bike shoes are a
    bit snug..warm socks won't fit in there. Maybe tights and a pair of regular 'ol socks. Deeply
    unattractive I know, but that makes it more amusing. :)

    I'm pretty new to the area, where are some good places to ride? I'm in New London but I like to hike
    the beach near Watch Hill.

    "archer" <[email protected]_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I got out last weekend for the first time a little east of you in RI, and it was about 50. I had a
    > sweatshirt under a windbreaker over a T- shirt, and long tights; it was too much. I should have
    > worn bike shorts, and just the shirt and windbreaker. If you are like me, and like to be a little
    > warm rather than a little cold, maybe long tights and a windbreaker, since it's going to be a
    > little cooler this weekend than last weekend was.
    >
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > > Should be warm enough to ride here, even for someone who dislikes the
    cold
    > > as much as I do. Any advice on how to dress for 40-50 degrees? This will
    be
    > > city streets and some country roads. First time out in cold weather for
    more
    > > than a couple miles.
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    >

    > --
    > David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord, it's
    > morning".
    >
    > Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.

  5. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    Stephanie, there's a whole free RI bike route map available in most RI bike shops. The most scenic
    riding is near the coast, but the whole state is small enough for you to do a long dayride to Pt.
    Judith when the weather is warmer and the days a bit longer. And in the summer maybe cross to Block
    Island on the ferry. But it is windier on the coast, so do dress in layers. I'm planning on a RI
    ride on Sunday, along the east bay coast to Westport MA, and the weather report said in the 40's on
    the coast.

    C.C.

    > From: "Stephanie" <[email protected]> Organization: Prodigy Internet http://www.prodigy.com
    > 17:44:09 GMT Subject: Re: Nice Weekend in CT
    >
    > Yep that's what I'm thinking...the socks thing has me a bit concerned because my bike shoes are a
    > bit snug..warm socks won't fit in there. Maybe tights and a pair of regular 'ol socks. Deeply
    > unattractive I know, but that makes it more amusing. :)
    >
    > I'm pretty new to the area, where are some good places to ride? I'm in New London but I like to
    > hike the beach near Watch Hill.
    >
    > "archer" <[email protected]_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> I got out last weekend for the first time a little east of you in RI, and it was about 50. I had
    >> a sweatshirt under a windbreaker over a T- shirt, and long tights; it was too much. I should have
    >> worn bike shorts, and just the shirt and windbreaker. If you are like me, and like to be a little
    >> warm rather than a little cold, maybe long tights and a windbreaker, since it's going to be a
    >> little cooler this weekend than last weekend was.
    >>
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> [email protected] says...
    >>> Should be warm enough to ride here, even for someone who dislikes the
    > cold
    >>> as much as I do. Any advice on how to dress for 40-50 degrees? This will
    > be
    >>> city streets and some country roads. First time out in cold weather for
    > more
    >>> than a couple miles.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>

    >> --
    >> David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord, it's
    >> morning".
    >>
    >> Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.

  6. Archer

    Archer Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Yep that's what I'm thinking...the socks thing has me a bit concerned because my bike shoes are a
    > bit snug..warm socks won't fit in there. Maybe tights and a pair of regular 'ol socks. Deeply
    > unattractive I know, but that makes it more amusing. :)

    For sure! Amusing enough that my wife laughs out loud when I wear my cooler-weather outfit out the
    door. I don't care though; comfort is the key.

    > I'm pretty new to the area, where are some good places to ride? I'm in New London but I like to
    > hike the beach near Watch Hill.

    I'm a little further east than that, and am not familiar with the Watch Hill area. I like to ride
    along Ocean Road in Narragansett when it's not high tourist season; it gives me a nice 22 mile
    round trip from my house. Any where along the ocean is likely to be nice as long as you can
    handle the wind.

    > "archer" <[email protected]_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I got out last weekend for the first time a little east of you in RI, and it was about 50. I had
    > > a sweatshirt under a windbreaker over a T- shirt, and long tights; it was too much. I should
    > > have worn bike shorts, and just the shirt and windbreaker. If you are like me, and like to be a
    > > little warm rather than a little cold, maybe long tights and a windbreaker, since it's going to
    > > be a little cooler this weekend than last weekend was.
    > >
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > [email protected] says...
    > > > Should be warm enough to ride here, even for someone who dislikes the
    > cold
    > > > as much as I do. Any advice on how to dress for 40-50 degrees? This will
    > be
    > > > city streets and some country roads. First time out in cold weather for
    > more
    > > > than a couple miles.

    it's morning".

  7. Stephanie

    Stephanie Guest

    Yep it's weird, I seem to live exactly in the wrong place for this area...I almost have to drive to
    get a nice ride. I do like to ride to Ocean Beach and walk/run the beach. I am just going to have to
    get used to traffic if I want to ride without getting in the truck first! My bike club
    pequotcyclists.com have a ride on Sunday...since I've never ridden with them (it's true) I am going.
    They should be a wealth of info.

    I did a ride in Mexico in January for a week. It was really good to know I can do 240 miles in a
    week. Learning to ride here at home is next!! Thanks for your help...ALL info is much appreciated.

    "Carol Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA978677.47B39%[email protected]m...
    > Stephanie, there's a whole free RI bike route map available in most RI
    bike
    > shops. The most scenic riding is near the coast, but the whole state is small enough for you to do
    > a long dayride to Pt. Judith when the weather
    is
    > warmer and the days a bit longer. And in the summer maybe cross to Block Island on the ferry. But
    > it is windier on the coast, so do dress in layers. I'm planning on a
    RI
    > ride on Sunday, along the east bay coast to Westport MA, and the weather report said in the 40's
    > on the coast.
    >
    > C.C.
    >
    > > From: "Stephanie" <[email protected]> Organization: Prodigy Internet http://www.prodigy.com
    > > 2003 17:44:09 GMT Subject: Re: Nice Weekend in CT
    > >
    > > Yep that's what I'm thinking...the socks thing has me a bit concerned because my bike shoes are
    > > a bit snug..warm socks won't fit in there.
    Maybe
    > > tights and a pair of regular 'ol socks. Deeply unattractive I know, but
    that
    > > makes it more amusing. :)
    > >
    > > I'm pretty new to the area, where are some good places to ride? I'm in
    New
    > > London but I like to hike the beach near Watch Hill.
    > >
    > > "archer" <[email protected]_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> I got out last weekend for the first time a little east of you in RI, and it was about 50. I
    > >> had a sweatshirt under a windbreaker over a T- shirt, and long tights; it was too much. I
    > >> should have worn bike
    shorts,
    > >> and just the shirt and windbreaker. If you are like me, and like to be
    > >> little warm rather than a little cold, maybe long tights and a windbreaker, since it's going to
    > >> be a little cooler this weekend than last weekend was.
    > >>
    > >> In article <[email protected]>,
    > >> [email protected] says...
    > > cold
    > > be
    > > more

    > >> --
    > >> David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord, it's
    > >> morning".
    > >>
    > >> Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.

  8. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "H. M. Leary"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, "Stephanie"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Should be warm enough to ride here, even for someone who dislikes the cold as much as I do. Any
    > > advice on how to dress for 40-50 degrees? This will be city streets and some country roads.
    > > First time out in cold weather for more than a couple miles.
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >

    > Layers
    >
    > Windproof socks or booties.
    >
    > Enjoy!

    Sorry for replying to my post...

    Layers with zippers

    you can always put a plastic bag over your socks..

    Ride safe

  9. Amh

    Amh Guest

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:10:57 GMT, "Stephanie" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Should be warm enough to ride here, even for someone who dislikes the cold as much as I do. Any
    >advice on how to dress for 40-50 degrees? This will be city streets and some country roads. First
    >time out in cold weather for more than a couple miles.
    >
    >Thanks!

    I took a short ride last weekend on Sunday here on LI. I was fiddling with a new pair of aerobars
    and couldn't resist taking them out for a test spin. Found quite a bit of gravel around and melting
    snow was making puddles 4 inches deep in places. Should be even drier and warmer Sunday.

    Looking forward to it.

  10. Amh

    Amh Guest

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:15:35 -0500, Carol Cohen <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Stephanie, there's a whole free RI bike route map available in most RI bike shops.

    Be aware that I've riden a few of those roads and some don't exist. IE Pleasant Valley Road. The map
    claims that this road runs north from where King's Factory Road ends between 138 and 102. It isn't a
    big detour but the road just isn't there.

    I love riding in RI. All those nice twisting rolling roads.

    Andy

    The most scenic riding is near the coast, but the whole state is
    >small enough for you to do a long dayride to Pt. Judith when the weather is warmer and the days a
    >bit longer. And in the summer maybe cross to Block Island on the ferry. But it is windier on the
    >coast, so do dress in layers. I'm planning on a RI ride on Sunday, along the east bay coast to
    >Westport MA, and the weather report said in the 40's on the coast.
    >
    >C.C.
    >
    >> From: "Stephanie" <[email protected]> Organization: Prodigy Internet http://www.prodigy.com
    >> 17:44:09 GMT Subject: Re: Nice Weekend in CT
    >>
    >> Yep that's what I'm thinking...the socks thing has me a bit concerned because my bike shoes are a
    >> bit snug..warm socks won't fit in there. Maybe tights and a pair of regular 'ol socks. Deeply
    >> unattractive I know, but that makes it more amusing. :)
    >>
    >> I'm pretty new to the area, where are some good places to ride? I'm in New London but I like to
    >> hike the beach near Watch Hill.
    >>
    >> "archer" <[email protected]_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>> I got out last weekend for the first time a little east of you in RI, and it was about 50. I had
    >>> a sweatshirt under a windbreaker over a T- shirt, and long tights; it was too much. I should
    >>> have worn bike shorts, and just the shirt and windbreaker. If you are like me, and like to be a
    >>> little warm rather than a little cold, maybe long tights and a windbreaker, since it's going to
    >>> be a little cooler this weekend than last weekend was.
    >>>
    >>> In article <[email protected]>,
    >>> [email protected] says...
    >> cold
    >> be
    >> more

    >>> --
    >>> David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord, it's
    >>> morning".
    >>>
    >>> Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.

  11. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    > From: [email protected] (amh)

    > On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:15:35 -0500, Carol Cohen <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Stephanie, there's a whole free RI bike route map available in most RI bike shops.
    >
    > Be aware that I've riden a few of those roads and some don't exist. IE Pleasant Valley Road. The
    > map claims that this road runs north from where King's Factory Road ends between 138 and 102. It
    > isn't a big detour but the road just isn't there.
    >
    > I love riding in RI. All those nice twisting rolling roads.
    >
    > Andy

    Sure, all those potholed hills through the scrub woods, if you go inland. Same geology in CT. But
    near the coast it's flat, open, scenic, great. Once I went on a NBW ride that started at URI and
    went west to CT, crossed the border, south to Watch Hill, then east partly along the coast. Then the
    route turned inland. Uh-oh. I've learned to be leery of any road called "_____ Hill Road".

    There's a road on all maps of Tiverton RI called Lafayette Rd. which is actually several miles of
    solid woods, with a short block of houses on each end. Well the map's free and I always check a
    new route against the big book of RI state street maps. Is Pleasant Valley Road therein? What
    city or town?

    C.C.
    D.

    E.

  12. Amh

    Amh Guest

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 15:37:15 -0500, Carol Cohen <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> From: [email protected] (amh)
    >
    >> On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:15:35 -0500, Carol Cohen <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Stephanie, there's a whole free RI bike route map available in most RI bike shops.
    >>
    >> Be aware that I've riden a few of those roads and some don't exist. IE Pleasant Valley Road. The
    >> map claims that this road runs north from where King's Factory Road ends between 138 and 102. It
    >> isn't a big detour but the road just isn't there.
    >>
    >> I love riding in RI. All those nice twisting rolling roads.
    >>
    >> Andy
    >
    >Sure, all those potholed hills through the scrub woods, if you go inland. Same geology in CT. But
    >near the coast it's flat, open, scenic, great. Once I went on a NBW ride that started at URI and
    >went west to CT, crossed the border, south to Watch Hill, then east partly along the coast. Then
    >the route turned inland. Uh-oh. I've learned to be leery of any road called "_____ Hill Road".

    I did a bike tour of the Hudson Valley with my gf and it seemed that every road we turned on was
    named ____ Mountain Road. Its become a running (riding?) joke as in "How long are we on the Long
    Island Expressway Mountain Road for?"

    A little bit of flat and expansive and a little bit of wooded hills makes for a nice balanced diet.

    >There's a road on all maps of Tiverton RI called Lafayette Rd. which is actually several miles of
    >solid woods, with a short block of houses on each end. Well the map's free and I always check a
    >new route against the big book of RI state street maps. Is Pleasant Valley Road therein? What
    >city or town?

    On the map it looks like a continuation of Kings Factory Road (rt
    112). It is supposed to take you just west of Exeter on rt. 102.

    Andy

    >C.C.
    >C.
    >
    >C.

  13. Stephanie

    Stephanie Guest

    I used to live in New Paltz...I really miss the mid-hudson valley...which side of the river were you
    on? Ulster County is beautiful!! I miss it!!

    "amh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 15:37:15 -0500, Carol Cohen <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >> From: [email protected] (amh)

    > >> Be aware that I've riden a few of those roads and some don't exist. IE Pleasant Valley Road.
    > >> The map claims that this road runs north from where King's Factory Road ends between 138 and
    > >> 102. It isn't a big detour but the road just isn't there.
    > >>
    > >> I love riding in RI. All those nice twisting rolling roads.
    > >>
    > >> Andy
    > >
    > >Sure, all those potholed hills through the scrub woods, if you go inland. Same geology in CT. But
    > >near the coast it's flat, open, scenic, great. Once I went on a NBW ride that started at URI and
    > >went west to CT,
    crossed
    > >the border, south to Watch Hill, then east partly along the coast. Then
    the
    > >route turned inland. Uh-oh. I've learned to be leery of any road called "_____ Hill Road".
    >
    > I did a bike tour of the Hudson Valley with my gf and it seemed that every road we turned on was
    > named ____ Mountain Road. Its become a running (riding?) joke as in "How long are we on the Long
    > Island Expressway Mountain Road for?"
    >
    > A little bit of flat and expansive and a little bit of wooded hills makes for a nice
    > balanced diet.
    >

    > >There's a road on all maps of Tiverton RI called Lafayette Rd. which is actually several miles of
    > >solid woods, with a short block of houses on
    each
    > >end. Well the map's free and I always check a new route against the big book of RI state street
    > >maps. Is Pleasant Valley Road therein? What city
    or
    > >town?
    >
    > On the map it looks like a continuation of Kings Factory Road (rt
    > 112). It is supposed to take you just west of Exeter on rt. 102.
    >

    > Andy
    > >
    > >C.C.
    > >C.
    > >
    > >C.

  14. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (amh) wrote:

    > On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:15:35 -0500, Carol Cohen <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Stephanie, there's a whole free RI bike route map available in most RI bike shops.
    >
    > Be aware that I've riden a few of those roads and some don't exist. IE Pleasant Valley Road. The
    > map claims that this road runs north from where King's Factory Road ends between 138 and 102. It
    > isn't a big detour but the road just isn't there.
    >
    > I love riding in RI. All those nice twisting rolling roads.
    >
    > Andy
    snip

    The last sentence can be reolaced by one word.

    BUMP!

    HAND

  15. Amh

    Amh Guest

    "Stephanie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I used to live in New Paltz...I really miss the mid-hudson valley...which side of the river were
    > you on? Ulster County is beautiful!! I miss it!!

    Actually both sides. We started in Poughkeepsie and rode to Ellenville. then up and over the
    Shawangunk ridge to visit friends in New Paltz (a favorite place of mine too). The last day we
    rode back to Poughkeepsie and then south along the east side of the river to Cold Spring. In our
    attempt to keep off of 9W we kept to the roads along the river and thus went up and over just
    about every ridge.

    Andy

  16. Stephanie

    Stephanie Guest

    Wow..we used to own a house just off the road on the way from New Paltz to the ridge...that pretty
    point where there's a beautiful vista, just out of town...take a left...what a great place. We would
    like to eventually get a house near Stone Ridge or High Falls. Thanks for the nice flashback. The
    Rail trail is quite good also, only wish it were longer! :)

    "amh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Stephanie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I used to live in New Paltz...I really miss the mid-hudson
    valley...which
    > > side of the river were you on? Ulster County is beautiful!! I miss it!!
    > >

    > Actually both sides. We started in Poughkeepsie and rode to Ellenville. then up and over the
    > Shawangunk ridge to visit friends in New Paltz (a favorite place of mine too). The last day we
    > rode back to Poughkeepsie and then south along the east side of the river to Cold Spring. In our
    > attempt to keep off of 9W we kept to the roads along the river and thus went up and over just
    > about every ridge.
    >
    > Andy

  17. "Stephanie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... <<SNIP>>
    > I'm pretty new to the area, where are some good places to ride? I'm in New London but I like to
    > hike the beach near Watch Hill.

    Stephanie,

    Lots of nice rides on both sides of the Thames. If you head over the Gold Star bridge (i can send
    you a route to avoid Hamburger Hill in Groton), take Rte 184 towards Mystic and Stonington. Any Left
    after Gungywump road will take you towards Ledyard (rural and hilly), any Right will bring you
    towards the L.I. Sound. My particular favorite is 184 to No. Anguilla Rd in stonington, over into
    the coast, and back into Mystic.

    If you like a bit of climbing, head from NLON towards Conn College, and take Old Colchester Road
    toward Lake Oxoboxo. Return via Chesterfield Road to Fire Street (Fun road....like a roller
    coaster..drop into the big ring and FLY)to Vauxhall.

    The only areas to avoid like the plague is Rte 85 around the Crystal Mall, Rte 1 in Groton (between
    95 and Buddington Road) and Rte 12 in Groton between (5 and the Submarine Base. Each of these,
    however has alternates.

    Welcome to SEConn....give me a shout if you need detailed routes.

    John D.

    _( )_ | @@&:%00' ( ` )_ \ _ / @@&:%00' ( ) ( `) -= (_) =- @@&:%00'
    (__ (_ . _) _) / \ @@&:%00' / / / / / / / / / | @@&:%0' / / / / /
    / @@&:%0 John T. Deneka @@&:%0 [email protected] @&:%0 __O
    RAIN,RAINBOWS, @&:%0 _-\<,_ It's all the same @&:%0 (_)/ (_) just
    as long as I'm riding!!!
    ===================================================0

  18. Nyrides

    Nyrides Guest

    Mystic and Stonington are beautiful, but if you're up for a longer ride from New London, I'd
    continue on Rt. 1 another 8-10 miles to Westerly, Rhode Island, then take a detour along scenic Rt.
    1 to Misquamicut Beach. From there, I can give you good directions to Narragansett, RI or Pt.
    Judith, RI, where you can catch a ferry to Block Island.

    Another option is to ferry out of New London to Orient Point, LI. From there, you can ride a nice
    wide bike lane to Greenport, take a short ferry to Shelter Island, ride across Shelter Island (watch
    out for deer!), ferry to Long Island's south fork, and ride a beautful bike lane into Sag Harbor --
    or even to South Hampton.

    Let me know if you need any specific directions!

  19. Stephanie

    Stephanie Guest

    Well it will probably be a bit chilly for all of that, but the bike club is headed to Watch Hill
    from Mystic on Sunday..can't wait!! It will be my first REAL ride with the bike club as I had some
    mechanical trouble last weekend. I have had plans to do all those ferry rides and have since I moved
    here but one thing or another has kept me off my bike. I look forward to confirming all your good
    advice over the past year and will post here!

    "NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mystic and Stonington are beautiful, but if you're up for a longer ride
    from
    > New London, I'd continue on Rt. 1 another 8-10 miles to Westerly, Rhode Island, then take a detour
    > along scenic Rt. 1 to Misquamicut Beach. From there, I can give you good directions to
    > Narragansett, RI or Pt. Judith,
    RI,
    > where you can catch a ferry to Block Island.
    >
    > Another option is to ferry out of New London to Orient Point, LI. From there, you can ride a nice
    > wide bike lane to Greenport, take a short ferry to Shelter Island, ride across Shelter Island
    > (watch out for deer!), ferry to Long Island's south fork, and ride a beautful bike lane into Sag
    > Harbor -- or even to South Hampton.
    >
    > Let me know if you need any specific directions!

  20. Nyrides

    Nyrides Guest

    Oh, Stephanie. I didn't realize the original post was from you! I also didn't know you were planning
    the ride for sometime so soon. Yeah, I'd say stay away from the beach! tOM m

    --
    Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides "Stephanie" <[email protected]>