Nice Weekend in CT

Stephanie

Guest
Should be warm enough to ride here, even for someone who dislikes the cold as much as I do. Any
advice on how to dress for 40-50 degrees? This will be city streets and some country roads. First
time out in cold weather for more than a couple miles.

Thanks!

In article <[email protected]>, "Stephanie"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Should be warm enough to ride here, even for someone who dislikes the cold as much as I do. Any
> advice on how to dress for 40-50 degrees? This will be city streets and some country roads. First
> time out in cold weather for more than a couple miles.
>
> Thanks!

Layers

Windproof socks or booties.

Enjoy!

I got out last weekend for the first time a little east of you in RI, and it was about 50. I had a
sweatshirt under a windbreaker over a T- shirt, and long tights; it was too much. I should have worn
bike shorts, and just the shirt and windbreaker. If you are like me, and like to be a little warm
rather than a little cold, maybe long tights and a windbreaker, since it's going to be a little
cooler this weekend than last weekend was.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Should be warm enough to ride here, even for someone who dislikes the cold as much as I do. Any
> advice on how to dress for 40-50 degrees? This will be city streets and some country roads. First
> time out in cold weather for more than a couple miles.
>
> Thanks!

it's morning".

Yep that's what I'm thinking...the socks thing has me a bit concerned because my bike shoes are a
bit snug..warm socks won't fit in there. Maybe tights and a pair of regular 'ol socks. Deeply
unattractive I know, but that makes it more amusing. :)

I'm pretty new to the area, where are some good places to ride? I'm in New London but I like to hike
the beach near Watch Hill.

"archer" <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I got out last weekend for the first time a little east of you in RI, and it was about 50. I had a
> sweatshirt under a windbreaker over a T- shirt, and long tights; it was too much. I should have
> worn bike shorts, and just the shirt and windbreaker. If you are like me, and like to be a little
> warm rather than a little cold, maybe long tights and a windbreaker, since it's going to be a
> little cooler this weekend than last weekend was.
>
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > Should be warm enough to ride here, even for someone who dislikes the
cold
> > as much as I do. Any advice on how to dress for 40-50 degrees? This will
be
> > city streets and some country roads. First time out in cold weather for
more
> > than a couple miles.
> >
> > Thanks!
>

> --
> David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord, it's
> morning".
>
> Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.

Stephanie, there's a whole free RI bike route map available in most RI bike shops. The most scenic
riding is near the coast, but the whole state is small enough for you to do a long dayride to Pt.
Judith when the weather is warmer and the days a bit longer. And in the summer maybe cross to Block
Island on the ferry. But it is windier on the coast, so do dress in layers. I'm planning on a RI
ride on Sunday, along the east bay coast to Westport MA, and the weather report said in the 40's on
the coast.

C.C.

> From: "Stephanie" <[email protected]> Organization: Prodigy Internet http://www.prodigy.com
> 17:44:09 GMT Subject: Re: Nice Weekend in CT
>
> Yep that's what I'm thinking...the socks thing has me a bit concerned because my bike shoes are a
> bit snug..warm socks won't fit in there. Maybe tights and a pair of regular 'ol socks. Deeply
> unattractive I know, but that makes it more amusing. :)
>
> I'm pretty new to the area, where are some good places to ride? I'm in New London but I like to
> hike the beach near Watch Hill.
>
> "archer" <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I got out last weekend for the first time a little east of you in RI, and it was about 50. I had
>> a sweatshirt under a windbreaker over a T- shirt, and long tights; it was too much. I should have
>> worn bike shorts, and just the shirt and windbreaker. If you are like me, and like to be a little
>> warm rather than a little cold, maybe long tights and a windbreaker, since it's going to be a
>> little cooler this weekend than last weekend was.
>>
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> [email protected] says...
>>> Should be warm enough to ride here, even for someone who dislikes the
> cold
>>> as much as I do. Any advice on how to dress for 40-50 degrees? This will
> be
>>> city streets and some country roads. First time out in cold weather for
> more
>>> than a couple miles.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>

>> --
>> David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord, it's
>> morning".
>>
>> Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Yep that's what I'm thinking...the socks thing has me a bit concerned because my bike shoes are a
> bit snug..warm socks won't fit in there. Maybe tights and a pair of regular 'ol socks. Deeply
> unattractive I know, but that makes it more amusing. :)

For sure! Amusing enough that my wife laughs out loud when I wear my cooler-weather outfit out the
door. I don't care though; comfort is the key.

> I'm pretty new to the area, where are some good places to ride? I'm in New London but I like to
> hike the beach near Watch Hill.

I'm a little further east than that, and am not familiar with the Watch Hill area. I like to ride
along Ocean Road in Narragansett when it's not high tourist season; it gives me a nice 22 mile
round trip from my house. Any where along the ocean is likely to be nice as long as you can
handle the wind.

> "archer" <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I got out last weekend for the first time a little east of you in RI, and it was about 50. I had
> > a sweatshirt under a windbreaker over a T- shirt, and long tights; it was too much. I should
> > have worn bike shorts, and just the shirt and windbreaker. If you are like me, and like to be a
> > little warm rather than a little cold, maybe long tights and a windbreaker, since it's going to
> > be a little cooler this weekend than last weekend was.
> >
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] says...
> > > Should be warm enough to ride here, even for someone who dislikes the
> cold
> > > as much as I do. Any advice on how to dress for 40-50 degrees? This will
> be
> > > city streets and some country roads. First time out in cold weather for
> more
> > > than a couple miles.

it's morning".

Yep it's weird, I seem to live exactly in the wrong place for this area...I almost have to drive to
get a nice ride. I do like to ride to Ocean Beach and walk/run the beach. I am just going to have to
get used to traffic if I want to ride without getting in the truck first! My bike club
pequotcyclists.com have a ride on Sunday...since I've never ridden with them (it's true) I am going.
They should be a wealth of info.

I did a ride in Mexico in January for a week. It was really good to know I can do 240 miles in a
week. Learning to ride here at home is next!! Thanks for your help...ALL info is much appreciated.

"Carol Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA978677.47B39%[email protected]...
> Stephanie, there's a whole free RI bike route map available in most RI
bike
> shops. The most scenic riding is near the coast, but the whole state is small enough for you to do
> a long dayride to Pt. Judith when the weather
is
> warmer and the days a bit longer. And in the summer maybe cross to Block Island on the ferry. But
> it is windier on the coast, so do dress in layers. I'm planning on a
RI
> ride on Sunday, along the east bay coast to Westport MA, and the weather report said in the 40's
> on the coast.
>
> C.C.
>
> > From: "Stephanie" <[email protected]> Organization: Prodigy Internet http://www.prodigy.com
> > 2003 17:44:09 GMT Subject: Re: Nice Weekend in CT
> >
> > Yep that's what I'm thinking...the socks thing has me a bit concerned because my bike shoes are
> > a bit snug..warm socks won't fit in there.
Maybe
> > tights and a pair of regular 'ol socks. Deeply unattractive I know, but
that
> > makes it more amusing. :)
> >
> > I'm pretty new to the area, where are some good places to ride? I'm in
New
> > London but I like to hike the beach near Watch Hill.
> >
> > "archer" <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> I got out last weekend for the first time a little east of you in RI, and it was about 50. I
> >> had a sweatshirt under a windbreaker over a T- shirt, and long tights; it was too much. I
> >> should have worn bike
shorts,
> >> and just the shirt and windbreaker. If you are like me, and like to be
> >> little warm rather than a little cold, maybe long tights and a windbreaker, since it's going to
> >> be a little cooler this weekend than last weekend was.
> >>
> >> In article <[email protected]>,
> >> [email protected] says...
> > cold
> > be
> > more

> >> --
> >> David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord, it's
> >> morning".
> >>
> >> Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.

In article <[email protected]>, "H. M. Leary"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, "Stephanie"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Should be warm enough to ride here, even for someone who dislikes the cold as much as I do. Any
> > advice on how to dress for 40-50 degrees? This will be city streets and some country roads.
> > First time out in cold weather for more than a couple miles.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> Layers
>
> Windproof socks or booties.
>
> Enjoy!

Sorry for replying to my post...

Layers with zippers

you can always put a plastic bag over your socks..

Ride safe

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:10:57 GMT, "Stephanie" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Should be warm enough to ride here, even for someone who dislikes the cold as much as I do. Any
>advice on how to dress for 40-50 degrees? This will be city streets and some country roads. First
>time out in cold weather for more than a couple miles.
>
>Thanks!

I took a short ride last weekend on Sunday here on LI. I was fiddling with a new pair of aerobars
and couldn't resist taking them out for a test spin. Found quite a bit of gravel around and melting
snow was making puddles 4 inches deep in places. Should be even drier and warmer Sunday.

Looking forward to it.

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:15:35 -0500, Carol Cohen <[email protected]> wrote:

>Stephanie, there's a whole free RI bike route map available in most RI bike shops.

Be aware that I've riden a few of those roads and some don't exist. IE Pleasant Valley Road. The map
claims that this road runs north from where King's Factory Road ends between 138 and 102. It isn't a
big detour but the road just isn't there.

I love riding in RI. All those nice twisting rolling roads.

Andy

The most scenic riding is near the coast, but the whole state is
>small enough for you to do a long dayride to Pt. Judith when the weather is warmer and the days a
>bit longer. And in the summer maybe cross to Block Island on the ferry. But it is windier on the
>coast, so do dress in layers. I'm planning on a RI ride on Sunday, along the east bay coast to
>Westport MA, and the weather report said in the 40's on the coast.
>
>C.C.
>
>> From: "Stephanie" <[email protected]> Organization: Prodigy Internet http://www.prodigy.com
>> 17:44:09 GMT Subject: Re: Nice Weekend in CT
>>
>> Yep that's what I'm thinking...the socks thing has me a bit concerned because my bike shoes are a
>> bit snug..warm socks won't fit in there. Maybe tights and a pair of regular 'ol socks. Deeply
>> unattractive I know, but that makes it more amusing. :)
>>
>> I'm pretty new to the area, where are some good places to ride? I'm in New London but I like to
>> hike the beach near Watch Hill.
>>
>> "archer" <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> I got out last weekend for the first time a little east of you in RI, and it was about 50. I had
>>> a sweatshirt under a windbreaker over a T- shirt, and long tights; it was too much. I should
>>> have worn bike shorts, and just the shirt and windbreaker. If you are like me, and like to be a
>>> little warm rather than a little cold, maybe long tights and a windbreaker, since it's going to
>>> be a little cooler this weekend than last weekend was.
>>>
>>> In article <[email protected]>,
>>> [email protected] says...
>> cold
>> be
>> more

>>> --
>>> David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord, it's
>>> morning".
>>>
>>> Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.
>>

> From: [email protected] (amh)

> On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:15:35 -0500, Carol Cohen <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Stephanie, there's a whole free RI bike route map available in most RI bike shops.
>
> Be aware that I've riden a few of those roads and some don't exist. IE Pleasant Valley Road. The
> map claims that this road runs north from where King's Factory Road ends between 138 and 102. It
> isn't a big detour but the road just isn't there.
>
> I love riding in RI. All those nice twisting rolling roads.
>
> Andy

Sure, all those potholed hills through the scrub woods, if you go inland. Same geology in CT. But
near the coast it's flat, open, scenic, great. Once I went on a NBW ride that started at URI and
went west to CT, crossed the border, south to Watch Hill, then east partly along the coast. Then the
route turned inland. Uh-oh. I've learned to be leery of any road called "_____ Hill Road".

There's a road on all maps of Tiverton RI called Lafayette Rd. which is actually several miles of
solid woods, with a short block of houses on each end. Well the map's free and I always check a
new route against the big book of RI state street maps. Is Pleasant Valley Road therein? What
city or town?

C.C.
D.

E.

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 15:37:15 -0500, Carol Cohen <[email protected]> wrote:

>> From: [email protected] (amh)
>
>> On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:15:35 -0500, Carol Cohen <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Stephanie, there's a whole free RI bike route map available in most RI bike shops.
>>
>> Be aware that I've riden a few of those roads and some don't exist. IE Pleasant Valley Road. The
>> map claims that this road runs north from where King's Factory Road ends between 138 and 102. It
>> isn't a big detour but the road just isn't there.
>>
>> I love riding in RI. All those nice twisting rolling roads.
>>
>> Andy
>
>Sure, all those potholed hills through the scrub woods, if you go inland. Same geology in CT. But
>near the coast it's flat, open, scenic, great. Once I went on a NBW ride that started at URI and
>went west to CT, crossed the border, south to Watch Hill, then east partly along the coast. Then
>the route turned inland. Uh-oh. I've learned to be leery of any road called "_____ Hill Road".

I did a bike tour of the Hudson Valley with my gf and it seemed that every road we turned on was
named ____ Mountain Road. Its become a running (riding?) joke as in "How long are we on the Long
Island Expressway Mountain Road for?"

A little bit of flat and expansive and a little bit of wooded hills makes for a nice balanced diet.

>There's a road on all maps of Tiverton RI called Lafayette Rd. which is actually several miles of
>solid woods, with a short block of houses on each end. Well the map's free and I always check a
>new route against the big book of RI state street maps. Is Pleasant Valley Road therein? What
>city or town?

On the map it looks like a continuation of Kings Factory Road (rt
112). It is supposed to take you just west of Exeter on rt. 102.

Andy

>C.C.
>C.
>
>C.

I used to live in New Paltz...I really miss the mid-hudson valley...which side of the river were you
on? Ulster County is beautiful!! I miss it!!

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (amh) wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:15:35 -0500, Carol Cohen <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Stephanie, there's a whole free RI bike route map available in most RI bike shops.
>
> Be aware that I've riden a few of those roads and some don't exist. IE Pleasant Valley Road. The
> map claims that this road runs north from where King's Factory Road ends between 138 and 102. It
> isn't a big detour but the road just isn't there.
>
> I love riding in RI. All those nice twisting rolling roads.
>
> Andy
snip

The last sentence can be reolaced by one word.

BUMP!

HAND

"Stephanie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I used to live in New Paltz...I really miss the mid-hudson valley...which side of the river were
> you on? Ulster County is beautiful!! I miss it!!

Actually both sides. We started in Poughkeepsie and rode to Ellenville. then up and over the
Shawangunk ridge to visit friends in New Paltz (a favorite place of mine too). The last day we
rode back to Poughkeepsie and then south along the east side of the river to Cold Spring. In our
attempt to keep off of 9W we kept to the roads along the river and thus went up and over just
about every ridge.

Andy

Wow..we used to own a house just off the road on the way from New Paltz to the ridge...that pretty
point where there's a beautiful vista, just out of town...take a left...what a great place. We would
like to eventually get a house near Stone Ridge or High Falls. Thanks for the nice flashback. The
Rail trail is quite good also, only wish it were longer! :)

"amh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Stephanie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I used to live in New Paltz...I really miss the mid-hudson
valley...which
> > side of the river were you on? Ulster County is beautiful!! I miss it!!
> >

> Actually both sides. We started in Poughkeepsie and rode to Ellenville. then up and over the
> Shawangunk ridge to visit friends in New Paltz (a favorite place of mine too). The last day we
> rode back to Poughkeepsie and then south along the east side of the river to Cold Spring. In our
> attempt to keep off of 9W we kept to the roads along the river and thus went up and over just
> about every ridge.
>
> Andy

"Stephanie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... <<SNIP>>
> I'm pretty new to the area, where are some good places to ride? I'm in New London but I like to
> hike the beach near Watch Hill.

Stephanie,

Lots of nice rides on both sides of the Thames. If you head over the Gold Star bridge (i can send
you a route to avoid Hamburger Hill in Groton), take Rte 184 towards Mystic and Stonington. Any Left
after Gungywump road will take you towards Ledyard (rural and hilly), any Right will bring you
towards the L.I. Sound. My particular favorite is 184 to No. Anguilla Rd in stonington, over into
the coast, and back into Mystic.

If you like a bit of climbing, head from NLON towards Conn College, and take Old Colchester Road
toward Lake Oxoboxo. Return via Chesterfield Road to Fire Street (Fun road....like a roller
coaster..drop into the big ring and FLY)to Vauxhall.

The only areas to avoid like the plague is Rte 85 around the Crystal Mall, Rte 1 in Groton (between
95 and Buddington Road) and Rte 12 in Groton between (5 and the Submarine Base. Each of these,
however has alternates.

Welcome to SEConn....give me a shout if you need detailed routes.

John D.

_( )_ | @@&:%00' ( ` )_ \ _ / @@&:%00' ( ) ( `) -= (_) =- @@&:%00'
(__ (_ . _) _) / \ @@&:%00' / / / / / / / / / | @@&:%0' / / / / /
/ @@&:%0 John T. Deneka @@&:%0 [email protected] @&:%0 __O
RAIN,RAINBOWS, @&:%0 _-\<,_ It's all the same @&:%0 (_)/ (_) just
as long as I'm riding!!!
===================================================0

Mystic and Stonington are beautiful, but if you're up for a longer ride from New London, I'd
continue on Rt. 1 another 8-10 miles to Westerly, Rhode Island, then take a detour along scenic Rt.
1 to Misquamicut Beach. From there, I can give you good directions to Narragansett, RI or Pt.
Judith, RI, where you can catch a ferry to Block Island.

Another option is to ferry out of New London to Orient Point, LI. From there, you can ride a nice
wide bike lane to Greenport, take a short ferry to Shelter Island, ride across Shelter Island (watch
out for deer!), ferry to Long Island's south fork, and ride a beautful bike lane into Sag Harbor --
or even to South Hampton.

Let me know if you need any specific directions!

Well it will probably be a bit chilly for all of that, but the bike club is headed to Watch Hill
from Mystic on Sunday..can't wait!! It will be my first REAL ride with the bike club as I had some
mechanical trouble last weekend. I have had plans to do all those ferry rides and have since I moved
here but one thing or another has kept me off my bike. I look forward to confirming all your good
advice over the past year and will post here!

"NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mystic and Stonington are beautiful, but if you're up for a longer ride
from
> New London, I'd continue on Rt. 1 another 8-10 miles to Westerly, Rhode Island, then take a detour
> along scenic Rt. 1 to Misquamicut Beach. From there, I can give you good directions to
> Narragansett, RI or Pt. Judith,
RI,
> where you can catch a ferry to Block Island.
>
> Another option is to ferry out of New London to Orient Point, LI. From there, you can ride a nice
> wide bike lane to Greenport, take a short ferry to Shelter Island, ride across Shelter Island
> (watch out for deer!), ferry to Long Island's south fork, and ride a beautful bike lane into Sag
> Harbor -- or even to South Hampton.
>
> Let me know if you need any specific directions!

Oh, Stephanie. I didn't realize the original post was from you! I also didn't know you were planning
the ride for sometime so soon. Yeah, I'd say stay away from the beach! tOM m

--
Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides "Stephanie" <[email protected]>