Nico Mattans comments after the Ronde

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bret Wade, Apr 11, 2003.

  1. Bret Wade

    Bret Wade Guest

    From cyclingnews.com: "I'll dare to say that I was the best man in the race, I took the initiative
    so many times today. One minute on the Muur I had a bad moment, it's my black beast...I was the best
    today, but that doesn't mean anything. It's a pity they rode away like that on the Muur. In the
    chase I was feeling comfortable."

    "I was constantly on Museeuw's wheel, but I saw he wasn't top today. I just think it's just a
    pity, it was my place to be with PVP and VDB, it's a pity. I wouldn't have won the RVV, but I
    surely should have been third."

    Sure Mattan had a very good ride, but after seeing the OLN coverage I have to shake my head at
    these comments. How could anyone deny that PVP was strongest that day. The key moments were when
    PVP counter attacked Museeuw to bridge up to Mattan and Guesdon and then of course the attack on
    the Muur. Both were completely dominate moves. Mattan didn't see the former, but he got a good
    look at the latter. To write that off as an unlucky bad moment is delusional. VDB had the second
    best ride IMO.

    Bret

    Tags:

  2. Bart

    Bart Guest

    yes. Mattan just isn't good enough on the hills. He tried to bridge on the Bosberg too but didn't
    really get away. It was just post-race disappointment, done his best Ronde and coming close to
    podium with his buddy VDB and de Peet.

  3. "Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Sure Mattan had a very good ride, but after seeing the OLN coverage I have to shake my head at
    > these comments. How could anyone deny that PVP was strongest that day.

    <snip>

    You've never heard a bike racer make delusional excuses before?

    Unfortunately, excuse makers seem to be an inimicable part of the sport.

  4. Bret Wade wrote:

    > "I was constantly on Museeuw's wheel, but I saw he wasn't top today. I just think it's just a
    > pity, it was my place to be with PVP and VDB, it's a pity. I wouldn't have won the RVV, but I
    > surely should have been third."

    Do Europros really talk constantly in TLAs like this?

  5. Bret Wade

    Bret Wade Guest

    Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    > "Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Sure Mattan had a very good ride, but after seeing the OLN coverage I have to shake my head at
    >>these comments. How could anyone deny that PVP was strongest that day.
    >

    > <snip>
    >

    > You've never heard a bike racer make delusional excuses before?
    >

    > Unfortunately, excuse makers seem to be an inimicable part of the sport.

    Excuses for a bad performance are one thing, but claiming to have been the best in a race they
    didn't win is rare and usually reserved for cases where they got Boogerd*. A more typical comment
    would be something like, "I had good legs, but we saw a great PVP today".

    * - I don't fault the Rabobank tactics that day, but his name does make a great verb.

    Bret