Night Lights???

RubberSideDown

Nov 17, 2003
How many you out there still sleep with night lights???? :D

Now on to my real question. I am looking to get my hands on lights for... well, what else? Night rides on the trails. I am not looking to spend $400, nor do I want cheap lights that I will only replace after a year. Anyone have some to recommend? Should I get bar lights AND helmet? Just helmet? Just bar lights?
How many watts? So forth and so on.

All of your great wisdom and experience is appreciated.

Thanks

RIDE ON!
RubberSideDown

RubberSideDown said:

Now on to my real question. I am looking to get my hands on lights for... well, what else? Night rides on the trails. I am not looking to spend $400, nor do I want cheap lights that I will only replace after a year. Anyone have some to recommend? Should I get bar lights AND helmet? Just helmet? Just bar lights?

Thanks

RIDE ON!
RubberSideDown

this might be pusing it price-wise but i'd look into the price of the topeak HID light, i have the enduro which is about $950 NZD so about $670 US but theyre probably cheaper there anyway.

i think HID is the way to go.. as long as you can spare the cash that is, theyre damn expensive but if you put one of those 10w HID next to like a 20w halogen the halogen is pathetic, not just because the HID is brighter but it gives alot whiter light as well. and of course they last longer so your carrying less battery weight but have more burn time.

as for helmet or bar mounts, i think try both, see whats best for you, i use 2 lights so have both. but would probably use helmet mounted if only using 1 light but being able to try both would be good.

and wattage: a 10w HID is equivilent to around 40w halogen but as i said i think theyre better because the light is whiter as well as putting out more light. 20w halogen is pretty good, though you would probly get away with 10w but at high speeds your going to be more confident and be able to see further if you have something brigher.

First of all, cheap lights suck. Especially on the trail. For some reason lights are less impressive on the trail than on the road. The trail seems to absorb the light. I prefer bar mounted which goes against the current trend. Helmet mounted light does not create as much shadow which shows the texture of the trail. Running both would be ideal but if I have to choose one its bar mounted.

I'm currently running an LED system from Dinotte. I started carrying it as a back up but now use it as my main light.

I guess the best advice is to go to a bike shop at night and see which light fits your needs and budget.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am currently looking into a less expensive light for my helmet (10W). I did some more research on MTBR.com and looked at all the reviews. The current light I am looking into seems to be a good light that will last and is under $100. Then I will splurge and go for a nice light for the bar mount. Like SRAM said, maybe even a nice HID light for the bar.

Thanks again!

RIDE ON!
RubberSideDown

Get your HID lights while you still can. Welch Allyn is doubling their prices. Might be a good idea to get replacement bulbs too.

Fun while it lasted.

I ride MTB while on patrol in Pennsylvania as a police officer. We use Schwinn MOD lights that we purchased 5 years ago. Despite replacing the rechargable batteries they have functioned very well and take a good bit of abuse on a regular basis. I've never tried these lights on the trails though. I'm sure that there are better lights out there now, but we have not had a reason to upgrade.

RubberSideDown said:

Thanks

RIDE ON!
RubberSideDown
for about 180$ USD you can have a light and battery can can be mounted in your handelbar or helmet. The battery can plase it in your jersey or cameback or frame. The best, they are lots of models but you can have strong light (for competition in EcoAventura, 24 hours, etc) that can last more than 3:45h. of light
They are serious an respopnsable company. I have one of them for 4 years and is rechargable and in perfect shape. Everytime someone sees my light they ask me what knind of light produces that amounyt of light; AND the bulb (last about 150h or so, cost 35$ and HID cost 100-150$ and the light is bluish but not more powerful) You be glad with this one, good costomer experience, they buck up the clientes and the light is simply amazing!!!!

I used to think HID lights were for Mercedes and BMW's...then I went to the mountain bike festival here in st louis and borrowed one from a dealer. It was like giving someone crack...I have to have one of those now. Anyway it was a Lights in Motion rep... I've seen the NiteRider and I think those look better(thougher) for trail riding. NiteRider has some nice non-HID stuff to http://www.niterider.com/products.php?sku=6330 these are around a hundred bucks...