Night Sweats?

eeiecoe

Dec 4, 2008
Anyone else suffer night sweats post hard training and or racing? what is the cause of this?

I sweat profusely to begin with, but once the intensity ramps up I turn into a furnace. My skin literally feels like celophane and is hot to the touch all the time. Yes, if I sleep with anything more than a sheet on I'll end up soaking wet in the middle of the night.

The nutritionist tells me it's because of an increase in metabolism from the higher intensity workouts.

thats mad...I would'nt say I sweat profusely during exercise but at night I'll wake at 1-2am with a damp bed...this is worst after racing and at stages races a complete pain in the ass as I'm loosing out on valuable sleep time.

I thought it was something in my diet but after eliminating everything I think its the strain of hard exercise

don't eat before bed.

it can be a serious medical problem like cancer or an infection.... or insulin problems

I'll add to the wealth of medical knowledge dished here: do you masturbate a lot in bed? Getting exercise while in bed can make you sweat. If the answer is 'yes', then you might consider sitting up or standing when you give yourself a hand shandy. That will allow greater air flow, and thus, cooling, around your torso.

eeiecoe said:
Anyone else suffer night sweats post hard training and or racing? what is the cause of this?

Not a doctor.
But.
Sounds like your metabolism (metabolic rate) doesn't come down by the time you go to bed.
Do you train/race late in the day?
If you're training late in the evening - you should try to train earlier if possible or go to bed later, if you can only train late in the evening.
I think you need to try to get to bed when your system has relaxed.

If you're worried about it - consult your doctor.

eeiecoe said:
I thought it was something in my diet but after eliminating everything I think its the strain of hard exercise
Are you taking any Aspirin?

It's absolutely normal to have sweats in the hours after training / races because of the altered metabolism....nothing new. Sometimes it also can prevent you from sleeping, this is normal, too.

Keep in mind that, generally, the more you are trained the less they last.

Don't bother, be relaxed, remove clothes (sometimes also almost all of them) in order to sleep comfortably but be prepared to wake up and dress again in the middle of the night when it becomes colder and you feel it (or you'll get various diseases etc.).

eeiecoe said:

Believe it or not, this can be caused by low blood sugar. I usually drink a pre-bedtime protein powder with moderate carbs (or a bowl of oatmeal) about 30 minutes before bedtime.

I too ride/work out in the evenings and it's important that you eat/drink something afterwards especially because your body is fasting throughout the night.

Also, depending on your age it would not hurt to get checked for Diabetes.

A quick check on iamgoingtodie.com reveals that night sweats are seen with HIV infection (most often during seroconversion), cancer, diabetes, ebola, bubonic plague and hepititis....

... so lay off the same sex nookie and doing things with small animals especially if you don't know where they've been. Also quit sharing needles, smoking and scarfing that 4lb black forest gateaux late in the evening and you should be good to go.

alienator said:
I've got a mild case of ebola and have been having unprotected sex with the neighbor's chimpanzee. Should I be taking Vitamin C supplements?

I'd change to spreading peanut butter on your nether regions and visiting the neighbors dog instead... Personally, I'd sacrafice the chimp because it's obviously been sleeping around. Dirty, dirty primate.

There are many ways to help relieve night sweats. By keeping a cool glass of water on the night stand and wearing moisture wicking pajamas, many people suffering from night sweats have found relief.

Hello Friends......

There are many different causes of night sweats.Some of the known conditions that can cause night sweats are:

1.Menopause

2.Infections

3.Cancers

4.Medications

Thanks

I have them too after really pushing it towards the night hours. Freaked me out at first as well.