Night time lighting systems on a budget

davebee

Jan 15, 2004
Right folks, I am looking to equip myself with a lighting rig suitable for off road trail riding at night time. Would I be better off buying handlebar mount lights or headtorch type light? Whats good VFM and what isn't? Petzl headtorches look good. Can they be used in conjunction with a bike helmet?

There's a huge range of lighting equipment available spanning a wide range of prices. I use and am very happy with my Lumicycle halogens - www.lumicycle.co.uk.

Headtorches usually aren't bright enough for riding, although I do use my Petzl Tikka as well so that I've got convenient light for fixing punctures etc.

I run a 10W vistalite on my helmet and a 5W on the bars

works brilliantly and you can ride anything pretty much at 95% of day speed

to keep costs down i'd just buy the lights and the mounting brackets (helmet and bars) then make your own battery packs and cables if you have the skill

otherwise the killer is buying enough juice to keep em runnign for more than an hour or so

if you want to know how to make the packs just ask and i can tell you

Originally posted by Duckwah
I run a 10W vistalite on my helmet and a 5W on the bars

works brilliantly and you can ride anything pretty much at 95% of day speed

to keep costs down i'd just buy the lights and the mounting brackets (helmet and bars) then make your own battery packs and cables if you have the skill

otherwise the killer is buying enough juice to keep em runnign for more than an hour or so

if you want to know how to make the packs just ask and i can tell you

If you could email me at [email protected] explaining how to make the packs then that would be awesome. Cheers. Dave