Night time on a 'bent

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by wafflycat, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    Tonight Vernon & I cycled over to the local cycling club meeting. I went on
    my recumbent. Night time cycling on the 'bent is entirely *magical* The
    seating position means you have a glorious view of the night sky without
    having to crick your neck. Tonight was a clear night, no clouds, no moon, so
    the stars were unfurled in all their glory. Combine that with living out in
    the sticks so there is minimal light pollution and the heavens positively
    twinkled and glowed with starlight. I could have pulled in at the road side
    and stargazed for hours....

    To top it off, I won a lovely bottle of Rioja in the raffle :)

    Cheers, helen s

    --

    you may need to remove dependence
    on fame & fortune from organisation

    Tags:

  2. andy gee

    andy gee Guest

    "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in news:dqrqu2$2g7$1
    @nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:

    > Night time cycling on the 'bent is entirely *magical*

    You're braver than I am. I try to avoid being on the bent at night because
    I'm harder to see and because I can't see cross-street traffic through the
    windshields of parked cars like I can in the daytime. I agree that the
    view from a bent is always better, though!

    --ag

  3. Mike Rice

    Mike Rice Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 23:15:14 +0000 (UTC), "wafflycat"
    <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:

    >Tonight Vernon & I cycled over to the local cycling club meeting. I went on
    >my recumbent. Night time cycling on the 'bent is entirely *magical* The
    >seating position means you have a glorious view of the night sky without
    >having to crick your neck. Tonight was a clear night, no clouds, no moon, so
    >the stars were unfurled in all their glory. Combine that with living out in
    >the sticks so there is minimal light pollution and the heavens positively
    >twinkled and glowed with starlight. I could have pulled in at the road side
    >and stargazed for hours....
    >
    >To top it off, I won a lovely bottle of Rioja in the raffle :)
    >
    >Cheers, helen s

    Hi Helen.

    One of my favorite rides happened on my Tour Easy recumbent last
    summer. I rode to a neighboring town for the annual fiddler's
    gathering, then visited friends for a while, making the 13 mile ride
    home after dark. One stretch of road was very dark, with huge conifers
    hugging the rode on the right side. No traffic at all, and no ambient
    lighting for a mile or so, and those trees were filled with millions
    of fireflys. One even got hung inside my glasses, flashing,
    flashing...I just had to laugh out loud. It felt like riding through
    christmas trees!

    Indiana Mike

  4. In article <[email protected]>, andy gee
    ([email protected]) wrote:
    > "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in news:dqrqu2$2g7$1
    > @nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:
    >
    > > Night time cycling on the 'bent is entirely *magical*

    > You're braver than I am. I try to avoid being on the bent at night because
    > I'm harder to see

    ?

    By night a bike light is a bike light, irrespective of what it's
    attached to.

    I thought I saw his name on a jar of marmalade the other day, but when I
    looked more closely, I saw it read 'thick cut'.

  5. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    >?
    >
    >By night a bike light is a bike light, irrespective of what it's
    >attached to.

    And I find that I seem to be more visible when I'm on the 'bent, jusgiung by
    how much room passing motorists give me. Certainly more than when I'm on the
    upright. Possibly it's the WTFIT? factor at work. Mind you I do use a lot of
    lights and acres of reflectives...

    Cheers, helen s