Nightprovision lights

Dennis09

Sep 18, 2018
I'm looking to buy some rear bike lights and found Nightprovision brand on Amazon. Anybody have any idea if it's a good brand at all?

i think it's a new brand of light, you can either take your chances and buy one or wait till more people have bought them and reviewed them, so far only 13 people have reviewed them and 10 were negative, this is not a good sign, and I think all the negatives were due to quality control issues. I would look for a different light and stay with the main brands.

Reactions: Dennis09
I'm looking to buy some rear bike lights and found Nightprovision brand on Amazon. Anybody have any idea if it's a good brand at all?
Here are a ton of reviews of the light, most with five star ratings. The main complaint seems to be the handlebar mount, but as one man admitted, he didn't read the instruction that tells you to fasten the clip. Looks like a good light to me, but I'm a bit suspicious about most of the reviews having the five stars.

Night Provision Bike Light Reviews

Reactions: Dennis09
I think I looked at the wrong set of reviews, I looked at this instead: https://www.amazon.com/Night-Provision-COLOR-Bike-Light/product-reviews/B01FU99L6E?pageNumber=2 But regardless I would stay away from anything generic, my experiences with anything generic, as well as people that I know, have been far below average.
I got the feeling that most of the reviews I showed, were shills. I looked at page 8 of the reviews, and the last person said that they were all shills, and wonders why Amazon allows them. If this is so, then we can't even trust reviews.

I use a Serfas rechargeable. Had it for over two years and only one problem with it; the recharging socket broke off, but Serfas repaired it under warranty. I bought it at the LBS, and it was a floor model so he let me have it for $80. He said it costs over a hundred. I just now did a search for the light on Amazon, and the only one I could find that looks like mine, sells for $65, and that's a combo!

There are so many rechargeable lights that it seems to be a matter of picking one and hoping for the best.

Amazing! I was just reading an article about fake reviews concerning TripAdvisor. There's a company that analyzes reviews; it's called Fakespot. So I went to it and analyzed the reviews of the Night Provision bike light on Amazon. The result is not good. Apparently, we can't trust the reviews. Here is a picture of Fakespot's review.

reviews.png

When I bought my Schwinn 5th Avenue hybrid bike 2 years ago, I went by the Amazon reviews. They were great, considering the bike was only $199. When I got the bike it was not rideable because of the terrible inner tubes and tires. Right out of the box it was basically a piece of junk. I'm capable of doing my own mechanical work so I was able to take care of the problems. To be fair, I didn't expect much for the price, but I thought it would at least be rideable. For those people who bought one, and expected to ride it, I guess they were disappointed.

I would suggest, when looking at reviews, take the negative ones into consideration, too, and don't go by all the positive ones.

So, to answer Dennis09, I'd say, don't judge the light as being bad because of Fakespot's analysis of the Amazon reviews. Just don't believe all of the 5 star reviews.

Last edited:
Trip Adviser gets mean to people that give negative reviews, they will allow a company that got the negative review to SUE, yes I said SUE, anyone that gives a negative review because the company will claim that it's not a true review and thus it's defamation against them. No way you say? read this: https://www.urbo.com/content/when-leaving-a-bad-review-gets-you-sued/ I know that manufactures that sell stuff, especially if that stuff is manufactured in China, will have employees from the company post a bunch of good high reviews for their products, it's just a different way of hacking stuff which the Chinese are known for. So I read the negatives to see if there is something I need to be aware of.

I bought a bunch of low cost camping gear online that I made decisions on based on customer reviews and all the stuff that I got has worked well. For example, I got an ultralight camping stove from Etekcity for just $14 that had over 3,000 reviews and it got 4 1/2 stars so I figured it should be good...and it was! in fact it surprised a friend of mine who has a Jetboil that he paid $140 for and we tested it to see which boiled water the fastest...we tied, he was shocked and even more shocked as to how much I paid for it. Personally I think the expensive stoves are rip off because there isn't that much to them to make them charge more than $15 for! His main stove unit looked similar to mine.

Anyway I said all of that in regards to that one example is that if you find something that has a lot of reviews chances are you have quite a few real ones, but if it only has a couple of dozen reviews I would be a bit hesitant especially if they're all 5 star ratings. On the flip side you will get fake negative reviews too on Amazon, probably posted either by disgruntled employees or from a competitor trying to keep the other company from taking their business. I read many negative reviews on stuff I owned that I could tell that the reviewer never owned the product, and I would mention that negative comment on my review and tell people that it was fake and why. There are also other places that do reviews, if you google the product and put "reviews" at the end a bunch of review sites should pop up; another trick is to google the product and type "problems" or "issues" then sites will pop up that will discuss any known issues.

Even with the fake reviews finding out if a product is good or bad is in today's world with the internet much easier to find out about then it was before when you had to buy a product blindly and only going by what you read in a magazine; so I'll take what I can find out about stuff in today's world then to buy something blindly like I use to have to do. I would say as a guess from what I can remember, that in the days prior to reviews on the internet I had about a 75% chance of getting a decent product, today it's closer to 95%; of course yesterdays products were made better than they are today which accounts for a higher 75% success rate, if had to buy stuff today without reviews I would venture to say my success rate would be around 15%!!

Trip Adviser gets mean to people that give negative reviews, they will allow a company that got the negative review to SUE, yes I said SUE, anyone that gives a negative review because the company will claim that it's not a true review and thus it's defamation against them. No way you say? read this: https://www.urbo.com/content/when-leaving-a-bad-review-gets-you-sued/
I'm very careful when I post a review. As your article pointed out, there's a difference between a personal opinion and hard facts. I'm also aware that anyone can sue for any reason. Even if their lawsuit fails, it's still a worry for the defendant.

When I first found a LBS, they were very attentive when selling me a new bike. They proudly told me that they guarantee everything for the first year, and if I ever have any complaints. to tell them and let them take care of it. I was very pleased with their service until the problems began, which I already related to you in another post. I no longer deal with that LBS.

So, at first I was pleased with them and posted a good review with Yelp. That review ended up in the 'Not Recommended' list. Their explanation was that if it sounds too good, it could have come from the business owner or an employee. I contacted Yelp and explained that I was new to the area, had never dealt with this business before, and my review was accurate. I asked that they move it to the 'Recommended' list. They said it can't be moved. Later, somebody else told me that Yelp contacts the business and offers to move a review to the 'Recommended' list for a price. I found others who made the same claim about Yelp. So I went back into my review and tried to delete it, but they don't allow deletions. They do, however, allow editing, so I edited it and made it a bunch of junk. I daresay Yelp probably removed it but I never went back to check, and I will never post another review with them.

I know how to post a review of a business on Google but I have not done that with the LBS. I know the businesses see the reviews. My reasons for not posting all the bad stuff the LBS did are: 1. If I told of all that they did, it would seem like sour grapes, that I was out to get them. And 2. I knew I could not prove the five botch jobs because they fixed two of them, and I fixed the other three. In other words, there was nothing to show. And if I mentioned the bad-tempered mechanic who had snapped at me and humiliated me on two occasions, it would be his word against mine, but it could be perceived I was defaming him. Yes, I know I could post my opinion about the shop without having to prove anything, but I decided it was best to leave it alone. Would such a review have cost them business by guiding a prospective buyer away? Am I doing a disservice to a potential customer by not warning them?

I haven't been near that LBS since May 2017. Then a woman posted a very nice review of the LBS on their Facebook page only a couple of months ago. She said "how kind" the mechanic was to her. And she 'Liked' my review that I'd left over two years before. This irked me because I'd forgotten my positive review. I went to their page to delete it, and to remove my photos I'd posted. I noticed that another woman, had previously posted a Facebook review stating "how kind" the mechanic was. It seems he's kind to women, only, and he has a problem with men. He's neurotic so it could stem from abuse earlier in his life. That is still no reason to be rude to a paying customer when no reason was given for him to snap at me.

I daresay the LBS noticed my review and photos missing from their Facebook page, so they must get the idea I'm not pleased with them. The thing is, they don't know the reasons.

And one thing I take from all of this talk about reviews, is not to pay too much attention and expecting them all to be truthful. And in the same way, not to accept everything the LBS says. I know for a fact that the mechanic fed me BS on at least two occasions.

Where can I find more information on the subject?
Unless you can find a few people that have the light, your only other resource would be the manufacturer, but they're not going to tell you if their product is faulty. I'd say you'll be fine with the Night Provision, at least, I would try it. The only bad reviews I saw on it was about the handlebar mount, but at least one person admitted he hadn't done the clip up properly. So if you get it, read the instructions, first.

I have one made by Serfas which is a good brand according to my former LBS, but they'd say it's good just because they want to sell it. I only had one problem with it in two years, and it was covered by the warranty. And it was returned to me very quickly. To my mind, that's a good thing when a manufacturer honors the warranty, and you don't have to jump through hoops to contact them.

I read the instructions for my Serfas before I mounted it. I noted that it has a ram air system to keep it cool on high power. In other words, standing still for a long time in hot weather could cause it to temporarily turn off. It has three powers and flash. The on/off button on top glows blue when it's on, and it slowly flashes red when the battery is low. I always run it on its lowest power, but on a dark, wet night you'd need to run it on high. That's good for about two hours, more on the lower powers. The handlebar mount is quick, easy and foolproof, and can be easily removed when you park the bike. I'll buy another one if it ever goes bad, but I'm not saying it's any better than the Night Provision. A new battery for mine runs around $40.

Incidentally, the Fakespot analysis isn't saying the Night Provision light is bad in any way. It's only saying that the reviews are suspicious. If it's a good light, though, I don't know why it would get so many shills posting fake reviews.

Last edited: