Nights of the week ...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Nick Kew, Jun 1, 2004.

  1. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    Pedalled home tonight, about 10pm from Plymouth.

    That's by no means unusual - I ride in to town for the evening
    quite often. But going on a Tuesday is exceptional.

    Coming home, was the worst ride I've had in a long time. Traffic
    (and pollution) was *much* higher than I am accustomed to at that
    time of evening, mostly coming in the opposite direction (into
    Plymouth). And it seemed most of the buggers wouldn't dip their
    headlights for me, so I spent half the time shading the eyes:-(
    Add to that a disproportionate number of them passing me far
    too close, and a very high pollution level, and I was not happy.

    Now, I wonder if there's any kind of weekly thing here, that might
    make some days more trouble than others? I regularly make that
    journey on Mondays and Fridays, and not infrequently on Wednesdays,
    but I don't recollect it ever being as bad as this. It's Fridays
    I tend to think I should avoid cycling, due to the risk of more
    drunks, but when in practice Fridays don't seem any worse than the
    rest of the week, except for the immediate area of the nightclubs.

    --
    Nick Kew

    Tags:

  2. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 2/6/04 1:57 am, in article [email protected], "Nick Kew"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Pedalled home tonight, about 10pm from Plymouth.

    <snip>
    > And it seemed most of the buggers wouldn't dip their
    > headlights for me, so I spent half the time shading the eyes:-(

    <snip>

    Ah! that's because you are too far south. Didn't even need to think about
    lights till gone 10.30 last night and it wasn't dark enough to worry about
    car headlamps till gone 11.

    ...d

  3. Doki

    Doki Guest

    Nick Kew wrote:
    > Pedalled home tonight, about 10pm from Plymouth.
    >
    > That's by no means unusual - I ride in to town for the evening
    > quite often. But going on a Tuesday is exceptional.
    >
    > Coming home, was the worst ride I've had in a long time. Traffic
    > (and pollution) was *much* higher than I am accustomed to at that
    > time of evening, mostly coming in the opposite direction (into
    > Plymouth). And it seemed most of the buggers wouldn't dip their
    > headlights for me, so I spent half the time shading the eyes:-(
    > Add to that a disproportionate number of them passing me far
    > too close, and a very high pollution level, and I was not happy.
    >
    > Now, I wonder if there's any kind of weekly thing here, that might
    > make some days more trouble than others? I regularly make that
    > journey on Mondays and Fridays, and not infrequently on Wednesdays,
    > but I don't recollect it ever being as bad as this. It's Fridays
    > I tend to think I should avoid cycling, due to the risk of more
    > drunks, but when in practice Fridays don't seem any worse than the
    > rest of the week, except for the immediate area of the nightclubs.

    It's a TUESDAY. It's long been observed that more bad things happen on
    Tuesdays. It's the worst day of the week. What were you expecting?

  4. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Pedalled home tonight, about 10pm from Plymouth.
    >
    > That's by no means unusual - I ride in to town for the evening
    > quite often. But going on a Tuesday is exceptional.

    Maybe people going home after a long Bank Holiday weekend. You should see
    the hordes of West Yorks people from Leeds and Bradford heading back from
    the East Coast resorts on a Bank Holiday, although Tuesday would be a day
    late.

    --

    Simon M.

  5. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Doki wrote:
    > It's a TUESDAY. It's long been observed that more bad things happen on
    > Tuesdays. It's the worst day of the week. What were you expecting?

    That would explain why Cliff Hanger (a story published in School Fun, an
    early 80s comic) had at least one panel in each strip where a sign
    appeared in one corner, or a mouse holding a placard, or something
    similar, with the slogan "Abolish Tuesdays".

  6. Wirral John

    Wirral John Guest

    "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Doki wrote:
    > > It's a TUESDAY. It's long been observed that more bad things happen on
    > > Tuesdays. It's the worst day of the week. What were you expecting?

    > That would explain why Cliff Hanger (a story published in School Fun, an
    > early 80s comic) had at least one panel in each strip where a sign
    > appeared in one corner, or a mouse holding a placard, or something
    > similar, with the slogan "Abolish Tuesdays".

    Mondays - everyone hates them.
    Wednesdays - middle of the week.
    Thursdays - Pay day? Nearly over.
    Friday - phew!

    Tuesdays ............. Argggggh

    Cheers
    John

  7. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Wirral John" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Tuesdays ............. Argggggh

    Well, for the record, the same journey tonight was *much* better:)

    --
    Nick Kew

  8. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Nick Kew [email protected] opined the following...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Wirral John" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > > Tuesdays ............. Argggggh

    > Well, for the record, the same journey tonight was *much* better:)

    While riding home last night, I came across another cyclist getting
    grief from a driver. He had apparently stopped in an ASL and when the
    driver started to enter the ASL he shook his head. She responded by
    beeping her horn. This led to a "conversation" about them and her
    getting increasingly agressive. He did at one point attempt to remove
    her wing mirror which I considered a little excessive, but her attitude
    was to keep pushing into the ASLs and to undertake on a bus lane (Out of
    hours) while leaning out of the window and shouting abuse. Another daft
    eegit who'd obviously seen some of this decided that overtaking and
    shouting abuse from his window would help matters. The funniest moment
    was when she threatened to call the police. After a period of
    comparatively calm cycling that has lasted a few months, the madness
    seems to have begun again!

    Jon

  9. Gawnsoft

    Gawnsoft Guest

    On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 08:00:08 +0100, Jon Senior
    <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote (more or less):

    >Nick Kew [email protected] opined the following...
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> "Wirral John" <[email protected]> writes:
    >>
    >> > Tuesdays ............. Argggggh

    >> Well, for the record, the same journey tonight was *much* better:)

    >While riding home last night, I came across another cyclist getting
    >grief from a driver. He had apparently stopped in an ASL and when the
    >driver started to enter the ASL he shook his head. She responded by
    >beeping her horn. This led to a "conversation" about them and her
    >getting increasingly agressive. He did at one point attempt to remove
    >her wing mirror which I considered a little excessive, but her attitude
    >was to keep pushing into the ASLs and to undertake on a bus lane (Out of
    >hours) while leaning out of the window and shouting abuse. Another daft
    >eegit who'd obviously seen some of this decided that overtaking and
    >shouting abuse from his window would help matters. The funniest moment
    >was when she threatened to call the police. After a period of
    >comparatively calm cycling that has lasted a few months, the madness
    >seems to have begun again!

    Yesterday I was overtaken by two cars as we approached a red light
    uphill.

    One was turning right.

    The other pulled in in front of me to cover both th eleft han-side of
    the ASL and to cover completely the approach lane, making sure he got
    his left wheel right over the inner-most of the double-red lines, just
    to make sure it was covered.

    Mind you, he was driving a Nissan Micra, so possibly felt he had to
    make up for it...

    Red Nissan Micra reg. K331 LsomethingS (Could be N or V. I really
    wish I'd had the digicam on me then. For the first time, something
    that happened that didn't require me to have already taken the picture
    by the time I realised I ought to take a picture.)

    --
    Cheers,
    Euan

  10. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Jon Senior <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > He did at one point attempt to remove her wing mirror which I considered
    > a little excessive...

    Foolish thing to do. Windscreen wipers are so much more convenient.

    --
    Dave...

  11. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Gawnsoft <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > The other pulled in in front of me to cover both th eleft han-side of
    > the ASL and to cover completely the approach lane, making sure he got
    > his left wheel right over the inner-most of the double-red lines, just
    > to make sure it was covered.

    Approaching a car waiting behind a right-turning car is hazardous at
    the best of times. The fact that there is clearly not room to pass on
    the left does not stop the driver from moving to the extreme left edge
    of the road as though there were. In addition many eejits will first
    stop in a sensible position and then suddenly dart left without
    warning, generally when a cyclist is planning to ride through.

    > Red Nissan Micra reg. K331 LsomethingS (Could be N or V. I really
    > wish I'd had the digicam on me then. For the first time, something
    > that happened that didn't require me to have already taken the picture
    > by the time I realised I ought to take a picture.)

    After my experiences with the Harrow Egger and one or 2 others I'm
    seriously thinking of using a h*lm*t cam.

    --
    Dave...

  12. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Dave Kahn [email protected] opined the following...
    > Foolish thing to do. Windscreen wipers are so much more convenient.

    Brilliant... just pop one or both up so that they wave uselessly in the
    air. That conjures up a wonderful image.

    Jon

  13. Gawnsoft

    Gawnsoft Guest

    On 3 Jun 2004 07:00:04 -0700, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote
    (more or less):

    >Gawnsoft <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >> The other pulled in in front of me to cover both th eleft han-side of
    >> the ASL and to cover completely the approach lane, making sure he got
    >> his left wheel right over the inner-most of the double-red lines, just
    >> to make sure it was covered.

    >Approaching a car waiting behind a right-turning car is hazardous at
    >the best of times. The fact that there is clearly not room to pass on
    >the left does not stop the driver from moving to the extreme left edge
    >of the road as though there were.

    In this case, the car had enough room. In fact, by dint of driving
    onto the ASL, he had effectively undertaken teh right-turning car that
    was ahead of him in the road marked as one lane (plus thin ASL
    lead-in).