Nights of the week ...

Nick Kew

Guest
Pedalled home tonight, about 10pm from Plymouth.

That's by no means unusual - I ride in to town for the evening
quite often. But going on a Tuesday is exceptional.

Coming home, was the worst ride I've had in a long time. Traffic
(and pollution) was *much* higher than I am accustomed to at that
time of evening, mostly coming in the opposite direction (into
Plymouth). And it seemed most of the buggers wouldn't dip their
headlights for me, so I spent half the time shading the eyes:-(
Add to that a disproportionate number of them passing me far
too close, and a very high pollution level, and I was not happy.

Now, I wonder if there's any kind of weekly thing here, that might
make some days more trouble than others? I regularly make that
journey on Mondays and Fridays, and not infrequently on Wednesdays,
but I don't recollect it ever being as bad as this. It's Fridays
I tend to think I should avoid cycling, due to the risk of more
drunks, but when in practice Fridays don't seem any worse than the
rest of the week, except for the immediate area of the nightclubs.

--
Nick Kew

On 2/6/04 1:57 am, in article [email protected], "Nick Kew"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Pedalled home tonight, about 10pm from Plymouth.

<snip>
> And it seemed most of the buggers wouldn't dip their
> headlights for me, so I spent half the time shading the eyes:-(

<snip>

Ah! that's because you are too far south. Didn't even need to think about
lights till gone 10.30 last night and it wasn't dark enough to worry about
car headlamps till gone 11.

...d

Nick Kew wrote:
> Pedalled home tonight, about 10pm from Plymouth.
>
> That's by no means unusual - I ride in to town for the evening
> quite often. But going on a Tuesday is exceptional.
>
> Coming home, was the worst ride I've had in a long time. Traffic
> (and pollution) was *much* higher than I am accustomed to at that
> time of evening, mostly coming in the opposite direction (into
> Plymouth). And it seemed most of the buggers wouldn't dip their
> headlights for me, so I spent half the time shading the eyes:-(
> Add to that a disproportionate number of them passing me far
> too close, and a very high pollution level, and I was not happy.
>
> Now, I wonder if there's any kind of weekly thing here, that might
> make some days more trouble than others? I regularly make that
> journey on Mondays and Fridays, and not infrequently on Wednesdays,
> but I don't recollect it ever being as bad as this. It's Fridays
> I tend to think I should avoid cycling, due to the risk of more
> drunks, but when in practice Fridays don't seem any worse than the
> rest of the week, except for the immediate area of the nightclubs.

It's a TUESDAY. It's long been observed that more bad things happen on
Tuesdays. It's the worst day of the week. What were you expecting?

"Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Pedalled home tonight, about 10pm from Plymouth.
>
> That's by no means unusual - I ride in to town for the evening
> quite often. But going on a Tuesday is exceptional.

Maybe people going home after a long Bank Holiday weekend. You should see
the hordes of West Yorks people from Leeds and Bradford heading back from
the East Coast resorts on a Bank Holiday, although Tuesday would be a day
late.

--

Simon M.

Doki wrote:
> It's a TUESDAY. It's long been observed that more bad things happen on
> Tuesdays. It's the worst day of the week. What were you expecting?

That would explain why Cliff Hanger (a story published in School Fun, an
early 80s comic) had at least one panel in each strip where a sign
appeared in one corner, or a mouse holding a placard, or something
similar, with the slogan "Abolish Tuesdays".

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Doki wrote:
> > It's a TUESDAY. It's long been observed that more bad things happen on
> > Tuesdays. It's the worst day of the week. What were you expecting?

> That would explain why Cliff Hanger (a story published in School Fun, an
> early 80s comic) had at least one panel in each strip where a sign
> appeared in one corner, or a mouse holding a placard, or something
> similar, with the slogan "Abolish Tuesdays".

Mondays - everyone hates them.
Wednesdays - middle of the week.
Thursdays - Pay day? Nearly over.
Friday - phew!

Tuesdays ............. Argggggh

Cheers
John

Nick Kew [email protected] opined the following...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Wirral John" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Tuesdays ............. Argggggh

> Well, for the record, the same journey tonight was *much* better:)

While riding home last night, I came across another cyclist getting
grief from a driver. He had apparently stopped in an ASL and when the
driver started to enter the ASL he shook his head. She responded by
beeping her horn. This led to a "conversation" about them and her
getting increasingly agressive. He did at one point attempt to remove
her wing mirror which I considered a little excessive, but her attitude
was to keep pushing into the ASLs and to undertake on a bus lane (Out of
hours) while leaning out of the window and shouting abuse. Another daft
eegit who'd obviously seen some of this decided that overtaking and
shouting abuse from his window would help matters. The funniest moment
was when she threatened to call the police. After a period of
comparatively calm cycling that has lasted a few months, the madness
seems to have begun again!

Jon

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 08:00:08 +0100, Jon Senior
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote (more or less):

>Nick Kew [email protected] opined the following...
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> "Wirral John" <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>> > Tuesdays ............. Argggggh

>> Well, for the record, the same journey tonight was *much* better:)

>While riding home last night, I came across another cyclist getting
>grief from a driver. He had apparently stopped in an ASL and when the
>driver started to enter the ASL he shook his head. She responded by
>beeping her horn. This led to a "conversation" about them and her
>getting increasingly agressive. He did at one point attempt to remove
>her wing mirror which I considered a little excessive, but her attitude
>was to keep pushing into the ASLs and to undertake on a bus lane (Out of
>hours) while leaning out of the window and shouting abuse. Another daft
>eegit who'd obviously seen some of this decided that overtaking and
>shouting abuse from his window would help matters. The funniest moment
>was when she threatened to call the police. After a period of
>comparatively calm cycling that has lasted a few months, the madness
>seems to have begun again!

Yesterday I was overtaken by two cars as we approached a red light
uphill.

One was turning right.

The other pulled in in front of me to cover both th eleft han-side of
the ASL and to cover completely the approach lane, making sure he got
his left wheel right over the inner-most of the double-red lines, just
to make sure it was covered.

Mind you, he was driving a Nissan Micra, so possibly felt he had to
make up for it...

Red Nissan Micra reg. K331 LsomethingS (Could be N or V. I really
wish I'd had the digicam on me then. For the first time, something
that happened that didn't require me to have already taken the picture
by the time I realised I ought to take a picture.)

--
Cheers,
Euan

Jon Senior <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> He did at one point attempt to remove her wing mirror which I considered
> a little excessive...

Foolish thing to do. Windscreen wipers are so much more convenient.

--
Dave...

Gawnsoft <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> The other pulled in in front of me to cover both th eleft han-side of
> the ASL and to cover completely the approach lane, making sure he got
> his left wheel right over the inner-most of the double-red lines, just
> to make sure it was covered.

Approaching a car waiting behind a right-turning car is hazardous at
the best of times. The fact that there is clearly not room to pass on
the left does not stop the driver from moving to the extreme left edge
of the road as though there were. In addition many eejits will first
stop in a sensible position and then suddenly dart left without
warning, generally when a cyclist is planning to ride through.

> Red Nissan Micra reg. K331 LsomethingS (Could be N or V. I really
> wish I'd had the digicam on me then. For the first time, something
> that happened that didn't require me to have already taken the picture
> by the time I realised I ought to take a picture.)

After my experiences with the Harrow Egger and one or 2 others I'm
seriously thinking of using a h*lm*t cam.

--
Dave...

Dave Kahn [email protected] opined the following...
> Foolish thing to do. Windscreen wipers are so much more convenient.

Brilliant... just pop one or both up so that they wave uselessly in the
air. That conjures up a wonderful image.

Jon

On 3 Jun 2004 07:00:04 -0700, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote
(more or less):

>Gawnsoft <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>> The other pulled in in front of me to cover both th eleft han-side of
>> the ASL and to cover completely the approach lane, making sure he got
>> his left wheel right over the inner-most of the double-red lines, just
>> to make sure it was covered.

>Approaching a car waiting behind a right-turning car is hazardous at
>the best of times. The fact that there is clearly not room to pass on
>the left does not stop the driver from moving to the extreme left edge
>of the road as though there were.

In this case, the car had enough room. In fact, by dint of driving
onto the ASL, he had effectively undertaken teh right-turning car that
was ahead of him in the road marked as one lane (plus thin ASL
lead-in).