Nike jerseys

So long as its tight fitting and you arent a purist you should be fine using that shirt on trianing rides. You will be missing the pockets, which come in very handy on long trips so make sure you have other places to keep things such as a wallet, phone, keys, etc...

Nike does also make cycling specific jerseys (not just US Postal either). You can buy them in the US from the Trek online store.

integra06 said:
Use whatever you're comfortable in, but remember that this shirt looks like it's just a plain cotton T. It isn't designed like a cycling jersey is in that it doen't have the same dryness properties. Cycling jerseys are designed to wick out the moisture, to draw it to the surface, to keep the rider cool and dry. If you're in a good workout, the cotton shirt just absorbs the sweat and you end up with a soaked shirt! Believe me, I know from exp. IMO, it's better to fork out the extra bucks and get a cheapie cycling jersey that will at least help in keeping you dry. Your body will thank you.

RL

lohsnest said:
Use whatever you're comfortable in, but remember that this shirt looks like it's just a plain cotton T. It isn't designed like a cycling jersey is in that it doen't have the same dryness properties. Cycling jerseys are designed to wick out the moisture, to draw it to the surface, to keep the rider cool and dry. If you're in a good workout, the cotton shirt just absorbs the sweat and you end up with a soaked shirt! Believe me, I know from exp. IMO, it's better to fork out the extra bucks and get a cheapie cycling jersey that will at least help in keeping you dry. Your body will thank you.

RL
Ooops, I stand corrected..... looks like it has the dryness proerties after all. I would try it out and if it works, you've got your jersey.....

DriFit is actually a pretty good material, not like plain old cotton. It's used in a lot of running gear. That being said, the benefit of pockets and a full zipper on a cycling jersey would be a plus. Check out Nashbar and Performance for some no-name jerseys at reasonable prices.

In addition to lacking the rear pockets that most cycling jerseys have, there is another reason to use a made-for-cycling jersey. Cycling jerseys are made to fit you comfortably while you are leaning forward with arms forward on the bike. They have a longer tail so it doesn't ride up over your shorts/bib for one, and are typically cut a bit differently in the upper arm/shoulder area.

capwater said:
DriFit is actually a pretty good material, not like plain old cotton. It's used in a lot of running gear. That being said, the benefit of pockets and a full zipper on a cycling jersey would be a plus. Check out Nashbar and Performance for some no-name jerseys at reasonable prices.

You can also check out eBay and sometimes get two or three inexpensive, used (but in good condition) jerseys for the price of one new jersey.

I use that shirt as a base layer under my long sleeve jersey for winter riding.