Nimble vs HED

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by gooders, Aug 20, 2004.

  1. gooders

    gooders New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2004
    Messages:
    45
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm going to take the plunge and invest in some free speed for triathlons and TTs next season.

    I'm not sure which way to go, HED 3 or Nimble Crosswind.

    I loads of people use HED 3 but I havent seen anyone using the Nimbles. Their website reckons they're lighter, and in crosswinds they're faster as they don't have a deep a rim as the HED 3.

    Has anyone used the Crosswind or any view on which way to go?

    Also, I was going to buy a pair of tri-spokes rather than a tri-spoke front as disk rear as alot of the courses are rolling. Having never ridden a disk wheel is this what you'd advise or should I go for a tri-spoke front and something like a HED superlight disk rear?

    thanks
     
    Tags:


  2. Gonzo Bob

    Gonzo Bob New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2004
    Messages:
    187
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have a pair of 700C Nimble Crosswinds. I don't think they're any faster than the HED3. The wind tunnel test data (John Cobb tested them) I've seen says they're about the same.

    I regret not getting a disc wheel for the rear. Most of my races are gently rolling but I've also raced hilly courses in the Adirondacks and the Rockies where a disk would have been OK. I think the only time a disc loses out to a tri-spoke is an uphill time trial and there aren't any of these in triathlon since you return to where you started in most.

    What I would do if I could do it over again is buy one Crosswind wheelbody and get both a front and rear hub. The same wheel body fits on both hubs. Then I would get a rear disc - probably the Renn disc. I'd probaby run disc rear/tri-spoke front setup for 95% of my races and switch to tri-spoke rear/wire spoke front (Nimble Fly or similar - I actually have a home built 28-spoke aero rim wheel just sitting around not being used so I could use that) for the other 5% when it's too windy for a disc.
     
  3. rv

    rv New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2002
    Messages:
    331
    Likes Received:
    0
Loading...
Loading...