Nimble vs HED

gooders

Jul 30, 2004
I'm going to take the plunge and invest in some free speed for triathlons and TTs next season.

I'm not sure which way to go, HED 3 or Nimble Crosswind.

I loads of people use HED 3 but I havent seen anyone using the Nimbles. Their website reckons they're lighter, and in crosswinds they're faster as they don't have a deep a rim as the HED 3.

Has anyone used the Crosswind or any view on which way to go?

Also, I was going to buy a pair of tri-spokes rather than a tri-spoke front as disk rear as alot of the courses are rolling. Having never ridden a disk wheel is this what you'd advise or should I go for a tri-spoke front and something like a HED superlight disk rear?

thanks

I have a pair of 700C Nimble Crosswinds. I don't think they're any faster than the HED3. The wind tunnel test data (John Cobb tested them) I've seen says they're about the same.

I regret not getting a disc wheel for the rear. Most of my races are gently rolling but I've also raced hilly courses in the Adirondacks and the Rockies where a disk would have been OK. I think the only time a disc loses out to a tri-spoke is an uphill time trial and there aren't any of these in triathlon since you return to where you started in most.

What I would do if I could do it over again is buy one Crosswind wheelbody and get both a front and rear hub. The same wheel body fits on both hubs. Then I would get a rear disc - probably the Renn disc. I'd probaby run disc rear/tri-spoke front setup for 95% of my races and switch to tri-spoke rear/wire spoke front (Nimble Fly or similar - I actually have a home built 28-spoke aero rim wheel just sitting around not being used so I could use that) for the other 5% when it's too windy for a disc.