Nimbus Cranks.

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by juggle508, Jul 18, 2004.

  1. juggle508

    juggle508 Guest

    Ok I want to buy the Nimbus trials unicycle. I have heard that the
    cranks are pretty weak. I don't have much money so which ones are
    better? The bicycle euro's or the Nimbus X's? I don't have enough
    money to buy a splined set so which one out of these two? Ok say I got
    the KH cranks would they fit on a nimbus axle?

    --
    juggle508 - Look Mom a Tricycle

    My goal is for people to start to see unicycling as an extreme sport and
    forget about the circus.
    juggle508's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6701

  2. daino149

    daino149 Guest

    I haven't used either the Nimbus or the BEs, but I heard good things
    about both.

    I do know that KH cranks (or any other splinded cranks) will NOT work on
    the Nimbus axle.

    Daniel

    --
    daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

    Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.07.03
    Kaena
    Bugman - "if you are a little left of them, it would seem like they are
    on the right"
    Sig count: 2

    04.05.23 11214
    04.05.25 11284
    04.05.26 11329

  3. I had the standard cranks on for a while and they held up fine until I
    got splined set up. The Bicycle Euros are pretty good, I had them on my
    muni before I got a KH set, though I did bend two sets, though they were
    150s and 170s. I *think* the Nimbus X cranks are lighter, but apart from
    that I don't know.

    --
    one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

    OWS

    "I'm going to be polite in this whole message except for here.

    Idiot." - John Foss

    one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

  4. tom_edmonds

    tom_edmonds Guest

    the BE 125's take awhile to bend but once they start going they go
    quickly or mine did, i went through 2 sets, theyre cheap and good value
    though.
    for the price of the nimbus x cranks in addition to the nimbus trials
    uni cant you get a Qu-ax splined trials uni, well more or less anyway?

    --
    tom_edmonds - Finally...less talking, more riding

    Got me another 28" uni :D
    tom_edmonds's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3992

  5. muniracer

    muniracer Guest

    i have found that square tapered cranks are really unreliable. I have
    had Sun generic cranks that lasted for months, United cranks that lasted
    for under an hour, and BE cranks that lasted for a weekend. I have the
    nimbus x cranks on my muni right now and have ridden muni maybe four or
    five times with them. they have not bent yet, but still they have
    lasted longer than the United cranks and about the same as the BE
    cranks.

    so my suggestion is for the nimbus x cranks, but if you did a poll, i
    think more people would suggest the BEs.

    plus, try searching for threads about this, as there are quite a few.
    there are probably some one the first or second (or third) page of the
    Product Reviews section.

    --
    muniracer - Hell On Wheel

    The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!

    http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuq25
    muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

  6. I'm more worried about the KH cranks fitting the frame. It seems that
    something with a 140mm length will hit the frame when they reach the top
    of a rotation. The reason I say this is because the Nimbus frame gets
    wider further up the frame. I'll have to test that out some time,
    unless one of you guys know what the deal is.

    Back on topic: The stock Nimbus cranks on the Nimbus trials are pretty
    good, but they will bend if you do more than a few big drops. The
    Nimbus X cranks are stronger, but will bend in the same fashion as the
    originals. I'd say just save up around $200 and get a splined hub and
    crank set. I have not used the BEs, so I cannot offer an opinion.

    --
    digitalattrition - Rat Fink

    Unicycling consists of the two Bs: balance and balls. Without these,
    you cannot progress
    digitalattrition's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6430

  7. daino149 wrote:
    > * I do know that KH cranks (or any other splinded cranks) will NOT
    > work on the Nimbus axle.
    >
    > Daniel *

    thats wrong, i have KH crank and hub on my nimbus, and it goes perfect,
    i had 2 put in a couple of extra spacers to make the bearings fit the
    frame a bit better, but i have had no real dramas.

    > I'm more worried about the KH cranks fitting the frame. It seems that
    > something with a 140mm length will hit the frame when they reach the
    > top of a rotation

    my 140s dont hit, but it is very close, maybe about 4mm clearances, but
    it doesnt seem to have any effect otherwise

    --
    unicyclistjoe - Wellingtons 2nd Best

    Well a MOPED or whatever you call it...yeah good one security

    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/joesphotos
    unicyclistjoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6856

  8. > thats wrong, i have KH crank and hub on my nimbus, and it goes
    > perfect, i had 2 put in a couple of extra spacers to make the bearings
    > fit the frame a bit better, but i have had no real dramas.

    Do you mean you have the KH splined cranks and regular nimbus hub or
    that you have a KH splined hub and crankset?

    --
    digitalattrition - Rat Fink

    Unicycling consists of the two Bs: balance and balls. Without these,
    you cannot progress
    digitalattrition's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6430

  9. lol whoops! im a stupid idiot, i read that wrong. i read it as if you
    meant that an ENTIRE splined hub and crankset wouldnt work....i have the
    full set. now seeing what you meant, no splined cranks wouldnt work on
    the axle :)