Nimbyism

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Howard, May 30, 2003.

  1. Howard

    Howard Guest

    Sorry folks, but I just had to share this one...

    One couldn't wish to find a better example of the nimby, petty mindedness of 'Middle England' (Oh
    and the UK's seemingly genetic hostility to cyclists...). It's all so wonderfully over the top at
    first I thought it was a spoof...

    Kenilworth Weekly News

    Friday 30 may 2003.

    KENILWORTH ON A ROAD TO RUIN

    Abbey Fields will be 'ruined' if county officials get their way and allow cyclists to cross it.

    Kenilworth residents are outraged by proposals, discussed last week, to put a cycle route through
    the Fields. The plans are part of a much larger scheme to develop cycle links between Kenilworth,
    Warwick University, Coventry, Warwick and Leamington. Exact paths have not yet been chosen but one
    possibility is for bikes to be allowed on to Abbey Fields. Forge Road resident John Drew is furious
    about the suggestion. He said: "It is absolutely scandalous and goes against everything I believe.
    "Ever since I can remember it has been taboo to have bikes in Abbey Fields. It would be the
    destruction of the countryside and it must not take place. Kids on bikes won't stick to the path.
    Can you imagine them putting a cycle path through the Jephson Gardens? It would be horrendous. This
    could ruin Kenilworth completely. I have never heard of anything so awful and I can't believe anyone
    is so crass to even think about it."

    http://www.kenilworthtoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=698&ArticleID=525408

    Anyone know if it is possible for a UK citizen to claim asylum in somewhere like France, Denmark or
    the Netherlands? Seriously though, anyone else got any good tales of Nimbyism (especially cycling
    related nimbyism of course)? I'll start you off with a tale of my own...

    When I worked for the local council Ferriby parish council put high security padlocks on a path
    along the River Humber (and which had been reconstructed at a cost of £670,000) to deter 'unwelcome'
    users (including cyclists of course). When I asked if they were concerned that it might prevent
    disabled users gaining access I was told 'If a disabled person is so keen to use it they will be
    keen enough to do some research and find out who owns the padlock'! I was also told the path could
    not be used by cyclists as the area was used as the local dogs toilet by 'up to 100 dogs daily'. The
    path was supposed to form a section of the Trans Pennine Trail which at the time was routed along a
    main road. When the undesirability of this was pointed out the parish council sent a letter
    suggesting that cyclists who did not wish to use the main road should take a train!

    Tags:

  2. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Howard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sorry folks, but I just had to share this one...
    >
    > One couldn't wish to find a better example of the nimby, petty mindedness of 'Middle England' (Oh
    > and the UK's seemingly genetic hostility to cyclists...). It's all so wonderfully over the top at
    > first I thought it was a spoof...
    >
    > Kenilworth Weekly News
    >
    > Friday 30 may 2003.
    >
    > KENILWORTH ON A ROAD TO RUIN
    >
    > Abbey Fields will be 'ruined' if county officials get their way and allow cyclists to cross it.
    >

    > Kenilworth residents are outraged by proposals, discussed last week, to put a cycle route through
    > the Fields. The plans are part of a much larger scheme to develop cycle links between Kenilworth,
    > Warwick University, Coventry, Warwick and Leamington. Exact paths have not yet been chosen but one
    > possibility is for bikes to be allowed on to Abbey Fields. Forge Road resident John Drew is
    > furious about the suggestion. He said: "It is absolutely scandalous and goes against everything I
    > believe. "Ever since I can remember it has been taboo to have bikes in Abbey Fields. It would be
    > the destruction of the countryside and it must not take place. Kids on bikes won't stick to the
    > path. Can you imagine them putting a cycle path through the Jephson Gardens? It would be
    > horrendous. This could ruin Kenilworth completely. I have never heard of anything so awful and I
    > can't believe anyone is so crass to even think about it."

    <snip> You can see their point though, Howard. I for one certainly wouldn't even consider buying a
    property anywhere near Kenilworth, let alone IN IT!! if they were to allow CYCLISTS (of all
    people!!) through Abbey Fields and as for Jephson Gardens!!...perish the very thought......

    Actually, I think I feel a FREE PARTY coming on...they'd be so grateul to have mere cyclists using
    it thereafter ;o) Dave.

  3. Rg

    Rg Guest

    "Howard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sorry folks, but I just had to share this one...
    >
    > One couldn't wish to find a better example of the nimby, petty mindedness of 'Middle England' (Oh
    > and the UK's seemingly genetic hostility to cyclists...). It's all so wonderfully over the top at
    > first I thought it was a spoof...
    >
    > Kenilworth Weekly News
    >
    > Friday 30 may 2003.
    >
    > KENILWORTH ON A ROAD TO RUIN
    >
    > Abbey Fields will be 'ruined' if county officials get their way and allow cyclists to cross it.
    >

    > Kenilworth residents are outraged by proposals, discussed last week, to put a cycle route through
    > the Fields. The plans are part of a much larger scheme to develop cycle links between Kenilworth,
    > Warwick University, Coventry, Warwick and Leamington. Exact paths have not yet been chosen but one
    > possibility is for bikes to be allowed on to Abbey Fields. Forge Road resident John Drew is
    > furious about the suggestion. He said: "It is absolutely scandalous and goes against everything I
    > believe. "Ever since I can remember it has been taboo to have bikes in Abbey Fields. It would be
    > the destruction of the countryside and it must not take place. Kids on bikes won't stick to the
    > path. Can you imagine them putting a cycle path through the Jephson Gardens? It would be
    > horrendous. This could ruin Kenilworth completely. I have never heard of anything so awful and I
    > can't believe anyone is so crass to even think about it."

    http://www.kenilworthtoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=698&ArticleID=525408

    > Anyone know if it is possible for a UK citizen to claim asylum in somewhere like France, Denmark
    > or the Netherlands? Seriously though, anyone else got any good tales of Nimbyism (especially
    > cycling related nimbyism of course)? I'll start you off with a tale of my own...
    >
    > When I worked for the local council Ferriby parish council put high security padlocks on a path
    > along the River Humber (and which had been reconstructed at a cost of £670,000) to deter
    > 'unwelcome' users (including cyclists of course). When I asked if they were concerned that it
    > might prevent disabled users gaining access I was told 'If a disabled person is so keen to use it
    > they will be keen enough to do some research and find out who owns the padlock'! I was also told
    > the path could not be used by cyclists as the area was used as the local dogs toilet by 'up to 100
    > dogs daily'. The path was supposed to form a section of the Trans Pennine Trail which at the time
    > was routed along a main road. When the undesirability of this was pointed out the parish council
    > sent a letter suggesting that cyclists who did not wish to use the main road should take a train!

    ... just a quick point about the Trans Pennine Trail beside the Humber - I was along there on the
    designated cycle part 2 weeks ago and there IS a gate that is locked - it actually has a stile which
    makes for a really interesting situation when you have to lift your loaded bike over it ! ... being
    aware of these nonsenses (an although not disabled) I was armed with the standard RADAR key - guess
    what ... it wasn't a RADAR lock.

    But then we all know the joke about God giving England a rectum (the Humber estuary) and as for the
    location of the city of Kingston upon Hull !!! [that should get the flamers going! - steady, it's
    only a joke!]

    RG

  4. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    <snip>

    Awful nimby story. I am greatly amused by those people who don't like wind power stations
    (windmills) personally I think they look quite nice. Some claim they are an eye sore. Well I've news
    for you, bloody great coal fired stations all down the Trent don't look great I can tell you. And
    the two headed sheep of Cumbria aren't too lovely.

    > Anyone know if it is possible for a UK citizen to claim asylum in somewhere like France, Denmark
    > or the Netherlands? Seriously though, anyone else got any good tales of Nimbyism (especially
    > cycling related nimbyism of course)? I'll start you off with a tale of my own...

    I read a letter in the Guardian recently (Oh no, a cycle riding Guardian reader what a cliché!)
    which called for the abolition of the Monarchy which is an offence under the treason act punishable
    by Transportation. The letter went on to point out that Australia was nice at this time of year!

    --
    Andrew

    "Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
    stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

  5. M Series

    M Series Guest

    What's a RADAR lock ? Is it really RADAR like planes and ships use ? I presume its some sort of
    automatic gate opener. Bit like though bus lanes that get priority at traffic lights because the
    buses have transponders on. Trouble is us cyclists do not cause the lights to change so have to take
    our chances with the other traffic of jump the light. What about the temporary traffic lights that
    are Radar which do not pick up small objects like cycles ? How many of us have zig zagged up to them
    waving our arms around.

    I once threw up in Kenilworth as it happens.

    "RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> [...]
    > > parish council sent a letter suggesting that cyclists who did not wish to use the main road
    > > should take a train!
    >
    > ... just a quick point about the Trans Pennine Trail beside the Humber - I was along there on the
    > designated cycle part 2 weeks ago and there IS a
    gate
    > that is locked - it actually has a stile which makes for a really interesting situation when you
    > have to lift your loaded bike over it !
    > being aware of these nonsenses (an although not disabled) I was armed with the standard RADAR key
    > - guess what ... it wasn't a RADAR lock.
    >
    > But then we all know the joke about God giving England a rectum (the
    Humber
    > estuary) and as for the location of the city of Kingston upon Hull !!!
    [that
    > should get the flamers going! - steady, it's only a joke!]

  6. Thus spake "M Series" <[email protected]>

    > What's a RADAR lock ?

    It's a lock that can be opened by people with a RADAR key.

    The idea is that disabled people can use a loo or get a wheelchair through various obstructions.

    RADAR stands for Royal Association for Disability and Rehabilitation.

    > Is it really RADAR like planes and ships use ? I presume its some sort of automatic gate opener.

    It is no more automatic than a normal front door key.

    > Bit like though bus lanes that get priority at traffic lights because the buses have
    > transponders on. Trouble is us cyclists do not cause the lights to change so have to take our
    > chances with the other traffic of jump the light. What about the temporary traffic lights that
    > are Radar which do not pick up small objects like cycles ? How many of us have zig zagged up to
    > them waving our arms around.

  7. Howard

    Howard Guest

  8. "Howard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > For the full story on this gate see
    >
    > http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/confessions/coaco10.html
    >
    > As far as I know this section still does not have official access for
    cycles...

    An interesting but disheartening tale. Seems like you might have had the makings there of a
    constructive unfair dismissal claim. I just find it incomprehensible why some Authorities seem
    wilfully to want to thwart decent cycle provision on networks like the TPT, which can provide
    important social and economic benefits to the local towns and countryside.

    Rich