Nina's Dumbell Weights Routine

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Roger Zoul, Dec 13, 2004.

  1. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Original here: http://tinyurl.com/9dvl

    Dumbell Weights Routine:

    These work with whatever dumbells you have (obviously) but your best
    (and most economical) bet is to get some adjustable plate dumbells.
    Those are dumbells where you can put on different weight plates. You
    can get a 40 lb set with collars and rods for something like $20, but
    check out Play it Again Sports if you have one in your area, they've
    got 'em for cheap. I suggest adjustable as you'll make quick progress,
    and so you don't have to keep going out and buying more dumbells as you
    progress.

    Some basic sites to check out:
    Info & WT form:
    http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

    FAQ on WT (from misc.fitness.weights):
    http://www.trygve.com/mfw_faq.html

    There are many types of routines: full body, upper/lower split,
    push/pull, what have you. You can pyramid up in weight or start heavy
    and go light, or start light and go heavy. Personally, for teh basic
    weight trainer, you don't really need to be so complicated.

    For beginners, I like to suggest a full body routine 2-3 times a week,
    making sure there's at least a day of rest inbetween. Why full body?
    Because you'll won't be lifting as heavy as you can when you begin (as
    you're getting your form down) and newbies generally make excellent
    progress. Doing full body more frequently at the beginning makes sense
    as it gives your brain time to adapt to the movements you'll be doing.
    This is called CNS adaptation, or Central Nervous System adaptation.

    Usually people think "wow, I must be putting on scads of muscle" because
    your weight may stagnate or rise and your lifts will go up; however,
    this is generally due to the fact that your muscles are carrying a bit
    of extra water to repair the damage and CNS adapatation. In the end,
    don't worry. You'll progress how you progress. It doesn't matter if
    you're lifting 5 pounds or 500 pounds, it matters that you're expending
    maximum effort with good form. Add some cardio and eat correctly and
    you'll be happy with the results.

    Ah, cardio. The evil word. If you're doign cardio on WT days, do it
    after you lift. Sure, you'll want to warm up 3-10 minutes on whatever
    cardio machine of torture is least painful, but longform cardio shoul d
    be kept to the end. You'll get more benefit out of your weight training
    session, and lifting on depleted glycogen stores is no fun at all, while
    doing cardio with depleted glycogen is slightly less painful.

    So now it's time to lift!

    You'll start light, but end lifting as heavy as you can in GOOD FORM.
    Form is key. Do 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps per exercise. Rest 1-3 minutes
    between sets. You'll probably start out resting less when you begin,
    but as you lift heavier, you'll have longer rest periods. Up to you.
    Nothing magic about it. Okay, let's go:

    squats (legs, butt, thighs)
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/DBSquat.html
    another pic:
    http://www.hardtrainer.com/ex_dbsquats.htm
    take notes on form from:
    http://www.stumptuous.com/badsquat.html

    The squat is a tricky exercise, one that takes getting used to. I'd
    suggest starting to do it without dumbells, just with bodyweight. And
    check out everything here:
    http://www.stumptuous.com/learnsquat.html

    For women, generally a stace with feet slightly wider than shoulder
    width apart - or even wider (not shoulder width like most trainers will
    tell you) and toes pointed slightly out is more suited to out personal
    biomechanics. But experiment and see what feels right for you. My only
    caveat: once you find a comfortable unweighted stance, use it for when
    you add weight. Don't start tinkering too much until you've got your
    form down right.

    Sit back and down. Keep chest high. Ah,squats.

    dumbell presses (chest)
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/DBBenchPress.html

    SLDL (hamstrings)
    http://www.stumptuous.com/baddl.html - bottom of the page

    She's using a barbell but you can use dumbells. Please note the form!
    As soon as your back starts to round, come back up. Do NOT go to the
    floor. You should only lower yourself to the point right before your
    back starts to round. What that point is depends on your flexibility.

    A lot of sites (and a lot of trainers) teach this in a dangerous manner,
    insisteing the trainee go al the way to the floor. What you're doing
    when you round your back is letting all those lovely little muscles in
    the low back take the entire load as opposed to the hamstrings. And
    M-O-O-N, that can spell injury. So listen to your friendly neighborhood
    SlackMistress, mmmkay?

    rows (back)
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/DBBentOverRow.html

    bicep curls (biceps)
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Biceps/DBCurl.html

    calf raise
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Gastrocnemius/DBSingleLegCalfRais...
    ml

    tricep extension (triceps) *** if this exercise bugs your elbows, pick
    another exercise fom the exrx.net site.

    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/DBTriExt.html

    shoulder press (shoulders)
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidAnterior/DBShoulderPress.html

    weight crunches with the dumbell on your chest

    This is roughly the order I'd do 'em in, going from larger muscle groups
    to smaller.

    I'm missing a lat exercise: you could add in chins if you've got a chin
    up bar at home. But I wouldn't worry about 'em for now. You can start
    adding in different exercises or such once you get used to this.
    Fr'example, one workout day I might do squats, the next workout day I
    might deadlift. Or workout day one I might do bench press and workout
    day two I'll do incline bench. But just get the basics down for now.

    Have fun, be careful, and DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness, which
    you will be having) can be alleviated by some light cardio the next
    day.

    As to diet, if you're not doign a TKD or CKD, then simply have a protein
    shake after you lift. Or have your highest-carb meal of the day
    directly after you lift. Keep it as low fat as poosible, though, as you
    want all that goodness to go straight to your muscles and not spend time
    in your stomach waitin' to get all disgested-like.

    A few more things:

    The soreness will go away. Just 'cause you're sore doesn't mean you've
    accomplished anything more, and just because you're not sore doesn't
    mean that you've accomplished anything less. Being sore just
    means....being sore.

    If your weight skyrockets after lifting, check your diet. Yup, food
    journals, people. Chances are you're not a genetic freak that's putting
    on six pounds of muscle a week. And if you are, I think Joe Weider
    might want to see you.

    Keep a lifting journal. Write it down as you go, bring it to the gym,
    whatever. It's nice to see progress, or look at sticking points, or see
    if you're losing strength at any point.

    Losing fat/gaining muscle: can it be done? Sometimes, kinda. To lose
    fat, you gotta eat at a deficit. To gain muscle, you gotta eat at a
    surplus. So how can you do both at the same time? But somehow newbies
    and people returning to WT after a long layoff can. So enjoy and train
    smart for those first few honeymoon months. You might be able to make
    some small muscle gains after this, but just worry about keeping the LBM
    you have.

    Take measurements: 'nuff said.

    That's all. Or that's all right now. Have fun, go slow, and don't make
    me come down there!

    Cheers,
    Nina

    --
    Let's hear it for the weirdos! --Lydia Ash

    http://www.theslack.com

    Tags:

  2. MU

    MU Guest

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:41:54 -0500, Roger Zoul wrote:

    > Original here: http://tinyurl.com/9dvl
    >
    > Dumbell Weights Routine:

    Copyright violations are criminal offenses. Post her permission; scan her
    your contract with Naina and post to a website.

  3. xtile

    xtile Guest