Nine racing bikes stolen from Canadians at world championships

Jason Spaceman

Guest
From the article:
STUTTGART, Germany - Five athletes on Canada's team at the world road
cycling championships will have to use borrowed bikes after thieves
stole theirs from a van outside their hotel.

Nine bikes with a total estimated value of between C$40,000 and
$50,000 were taken. Christian Meier of Sussex, N.B., David Veilleux of
Quebec City, Brad Fairall of Vancouver, Keven Lacombe of Amos Que.,
and Ryan Anderson of Spruce Grove, Alta., are busy adjusting borrowed
bikes for racing which begins Wednesday.

How the five will fare without their own bikes remains to be seen,
said Kris Westwood, high performance director for the Canadian Cycling
Association.

"It's tough to say," he said. "The guys are on equipment at least as
good as the bikes stolen but riders' positions are adjusted to within
millimetres for races.

"When you switch to a new bike there's always a bit of transition time
before you're comfortable on it. I don't know if all our riders are
going to get completely comfortable in time. That's something you
don't know until you put in a hard effort in a race."

The German team Gerolsteiner graciously opened its doors after hearing
of the loss and offered Canada's team whatever it needed.

Read it at
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2007/09/25/4525337-cp.html

J. Spaceman

"Jason Spaceman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> From the article:
> STUTTGART, Germany - Five athletes on Canada's team at the world road
> cycling championships will have to use borrowed bikes after thieves
> stole theirs from a van outside their hotel.

This is the country who seems so upset with the use of performance enhancing
drugs.

"Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jason Spaceman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> From the article:
>> STUTTGART, Germany - Five athletes on Canada's team at the world road
>> cycling championships will have to use borrowed bikes after thieves
>> stole theirs from a van outside their hotel.

> This is the country who seems so upset with the use of performance
> enhancing drugs.

I don't think that the two issues are mutually exclusive. I believe that
you can be against cheating in sport and against stealing bicycles.

> > "Jason Spaceman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> From the article:
> >> STUTTGART, Germany - Five athletes on Canada's team at the world road
> >> cycling championships will have to use borrowed bikes after thieves
> >> stole theirs from a van outside their hotel.

Gerolsteiner is a classy outfit. They will be missed. This makes me
want a Gerol'r team edition Wilier that much more.

The bikes should make a good crutch to lean on and explain our poor
showing.