Nine weeks to Mt. Washington

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

This is the internet. Doing accurate math is not necessary.
That's funny, I've noticed the same thing. I think the bits are getting confused as the bandwidths have increased. And, 4G LTE is engineered for 100M bits per second. I think the errors are going to skyrocket./img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Losing 20 lbs in 9 weeks is a very aggressive weight loss plan and will likely impact your performance. I know this is not what you want to hear, but the time to lose weight is not when your training (especially at the intensity needed for this event), its in the off season. I would focus on quality training and doing intervals at 88-93% of your FTP for the next 3-4 weeks, as this intensity would most likely mimic what you will be riding at in the event. This range also gives you the biggest bang for your buck in terms of physiological adaptations vs. physiological strain. I would pepper in VO2 max intervals once or twice a week from weeks 6-9. You may need 2 or more rest weeks within this time period, I would definitely suggest being on the side of undertraining rather than training 9 weeks straight. If you do that you will be wasted before you reach the mountain. If you eat healthy and truely have weight to lose, you will see some weight loss without trying, so let that take care of itself. Focus on your training. Best of luck to you!

I mostly agree, based on what I've heard from others: some shedding can be done but nothing drastic. I disagree on not losing weight while training. Off-season is still training time just isn't as speicific or base training. Plus it is going to be easier to lose weight if you are burning bunches of calories on the bike. That said, a loss in power may will still be advantageous the the weight loss tilts the w/kg ratio in your favor.

Originally Posted by joroshiba .

I mostly agree, based on what I've heard from others: some shedding can be done but nothing drastic. I disagree on not losing weight while training. Off-season is still training time just isn't as speicific or base training. Plus it is going to be easier to lose weight if you are burning bunches of calories on the bike. That said, a loss in power may will still be advantageous the the weight loss tilts the w/kg ratio in your favor.
Weight loss will be ok up to the event, provided you're only losing up to a pound a week. If you're losing it much faster than that, it'll zap you glycogen stores and you will probably start the race feeling lethargic which isn't ideal.

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

No amount of training you are willing to do is going to make a measurable difference in your results.
Do you still believe this? there are several ways he could have made some gains between then and the race.

Originally Posted by bobqzzi .

Prospective finishing time 1.5-2 hours
I'm 52.
Quote: Originally Posted by An old Guy

No amount of training you are willing to do is going to make a measurable difference in your results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambal .

Do you still believe this? there are several ways he could have made some gains between then and the race.

He can go and have fun. I don't see a difference between a 1.5 hour ride and a 2 hour ride. He is certainly not out to win.

An old Guy said:
He can go and have fun. I don't see a difference between a 1.5 hour ride and a 2 hour ride. He is certainly not out to win.
It really doesn't matter whether you see a difference or not, does it? That's pretty much up to the guy pedaling up Mt. Washington.

Originally Posted by alienator .

It really doesn't matter whether you see a difference or not, does it? That's pretty much up to the guy pedaling up Mt. Washington.
He did ask. So, it does matter.