Ninth level of seatpost hell.

Charlie Parker

Aug 8, 2003
I've got a Trek 930 (DB steel) with a cheap Kalloy seatpost wedged in it real good. I've tried everything from brute force and ignorance to squirting half a can of Liquid Wrench through bottle cage mounts and leaving overnight, also heating/cooling cycles and even slicing off top of post and cutting slot down inside with a hacksaw blade, still the m/f will not move! I have gotten to the point where a deeply personal vendetta exists between me and the seatpost, I will not quit! If anyone has any magic cures for this problem I would greatly appreciate hearing about it. (I have visited Sheldon Brown's "15 ways to remove a stuck seatpost by the way so I don't need telling about that again)

Ride on.

Well now you've cut the top off it's going to be harder to grip.

Just give in; the frame has won, you have lost...

No retreat, No surrender, the frame is an inanimate object, I am a sentient being, I will triumph eventually.

If it is really stuck in you would probably be able to get it out using a thread. i.e. if you could somehow put it in a vice and use the low gearage of the vice thread to oull it out. But that's going to be hard as theres nothing to get hold of if you have sawn it off...

Sounds like a typical case of cold-welding to me. Very common when aluminum parts and steel parts are held together for a significant length of time without a layer of grease between the two.
Depending on how long they have been together, you may be SOL. Keep at it with the liquid wrench.

Hit it real hard from the top, the sudden impact 'may' jar it free. You have nothing to loose now, if it dont come out the frame is usless as you have cut the top of the post.

Try using an automotive product called LIQUID WRENCH or BREAK FREE. Follow the directions, too.

I GOT IT LOOSE ! My bike is now back on the road and I am enjoying the sweet taste of victory, how did I do it ? Here's how: I cut the seized post down flush with the top of the seattube then using a hacksaw blade cut several four to five inch slots down the inside of the post, the 930 has a six inch steel shim/liner in the seattube to prevent bending of the double butted tubing. I bent the 'petals' of alu that I had created inwards and then carefully (I repeat, carefully) used a High Speed Steel drill bit to remove them by drilling down parallel to the seattube wall, once I could see the mouths of the seatstays/toptube I placed a smaller diameter seatpost in the space I had created ***caution, the following actions could cause permanent damage to your bike, especially alu framed bikes, use at your own risk***, I then took a wooden baseball bat, took a step back and swung at the top of the seatpost, three swings later the old post was free, dropping down into the frame, simply invert the frame to remove debris. I think my final success goes to show that perseverance can pay off, I bought a new post immediatley, greased nad inserted it then went out for a ride, the pleasure I always get from riding was enhanced by the knowledge that I had saved the bike from the junkyard. Hope this info helps anyone else in the same position.

Ride on.