Nipple broke off in Zipp 415 rim

Jaguarundi

Guest
How to get it out? It makes a racket. The rim is a Zipp 415 -- the 38 mm deep one they
confusingly use in the 303 wheels. There is a lot of "carbon fuzz" inside the rim. There also
seems to be a kind of semi-attached plastic film on the inside. The rim was purchased in June of
last year. I have spent over an hour using the trial-and-error method, to no avail. I'm not even
certain where the nipple is in the rim. I have shown it to three other people -- none of us can
pinpoint the source of the rattle closer than a span of five inches or so.

Thanks.

j.

Jaguarundi wrote:
> How to get it out? It makes a racket. The rim is a Zipp 415 -- the 38 mm
> deep one they confusingly use in the 303 wheels. There is a lot of
> "carbon fuzz" inside the rim. There also seems to be a kind of semi-
> attached plastic film on the inside. The rim was purchased in June of
> last year. I have spent over an hour using the trial-and-error method,
> to no avail. I'm not even certain where the nipple is in the rim. I have
> shown it to three other people -- none of us can pinpoint the source of
> the rattle closer than a span of five inches or so.
> Thanks.
> j.

Bounce the wheel on short napped padded carpet. Vision the nipple
bouncing inside the rim cavity and try to have gravity move it towards
the valve hole. This is done with the tire and tube removed. You may
need to rotate and tip the wheel to make this work. Ultimately the
nipple will fall out of the valve hole. It works for removing the small
bits of aluminum that are left inside rims like Mavic Open Pro

--

> How to get it out? It makes a racket. The rim is a Zipp 415 -- the
38 mm deep one they
> confusingly use in the 303 wheels. There is a lot of "carbon fuzz"

inside the rim. There also
> seems to be a kind of semi-attached plastic film on the inside. The

rim was purchased in June of
> last year. I have spent over an hour using the trial-and-error

method, to no avail. I'm not even
> certain where the nipple is in the rim. I have shown it to three

other people -- none of us can
> pinpoint the source of the rattle closer than a span of five inches

or so.

It it's steel maybe try a strong magnet to move it to a point where
you can get it out.

news:[email protected]...