nipple material identification

Kbh

Guest
I have some nipples, how can I determine if they are brass or aluminum?

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:_T2T9.290216$qF3.28339@sccrnsc04...
> I have some nipples, how can I determine if they are brass or aluminum?

Brass is golden in color, aluminum is silvery in color. Brass is about three times as dense so
assuming similar nipple dimensions, the brass one will be considerably heavier i.e. by about
three times.

anonymous writes:

> I have some nipples, how can I determine if they are brass or aluminum?

Aluminum nipples, if not color anodized are whitish rather than silver like nickel plated brass
ones. Just the same, looking in the threads will show whether they are brass because the threads
are cut last. The color of plain aluminum is as different from nickel plating as silver silverware
is from stainless steel silverware. One has a cold silvery color the other a warm whitish color.
Most folks who can see the difference can also feel the difference knowing how a brass nipple feels
and looks.

Ian S wrote:
> "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:_T2T9.290216$qF3.28339@sccrnsc04...
>
>>I have some nipples, how can I determine if they are brass or aluminum?
>

> Brass is golden in color, aluminum is silvery in color. Brass is about three times as dense so
> assuming similar nipple dimensions, the brass one will be considerably heavier i.e. by about
> three times.

All my brass nipples are the same color as my aluminum ones. BTW, what are they coated with, nickel?

And if you don't have a scale, or have the nipples side by side to compare, how can you tell between
the two? It's pretty easy to feel the difference if you have them both in hand.

If they're on a wheel how do you tell the difference?

Greg

> And if you don't have a scale, or have the nipples side by side to
compare,
> how can you tell between the two? It's pretty easy to feel the difference if you have them both
> in hand.
>
> If they're on a wheel how do you tell the difference?

If the brass is plated (probably with nickel), you could sand or file enough off to show the brassy
color. Alternatively, since a nickel plated brass nipple is harder than aluminum you should be
easily able to scratch a known piece of aluminum with it. That would be much harder to do with an
aluminum nipple.

This can be determined through either destructive, or only cosmetically crippling methods (for those
who are concerned about the appearance of the nipple head).

Either cut one in half or nick it deeply. If brass, it will be brass-colored under the plating.
Aluminum will be aluminum-colored through and through.

App

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<_T2T9.290216$qF3.28339@sccrnsc04>...
> I have some nipples, how can I determine if they are brass or aluminum?

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<_T2T9.290216$qF3.28339@sccrnsc04>...
> I have some nipples, how can I determine if they are brass or aluminum?

Get out your file or pocket knife and give 'em a scratch. If they are gold or, well, brass colored
under the surface, then you got brass. After fiddling with them for some time, you can tell a brass
from an alloy just by feel/weight and appearance. --Jim