Nishiki Appreciation

randochap

Oct 21, 2008
I want to take the opportunity to introduce an old friend of mine to the forum -- my 1977 Nishiki Landau

It's not a true vintage Landau as it was stripped of its original components within months of the original sale, but as you will see (at the link), it is a rather interesting mongrel.

Are there any other Nishiki owners out there? Maybe this can become a thread to share Nishiki love.

I remember Nishki. I never owned one but I test rode one in the mid 80's but bought a Univega instead. As I recall, the rides were similar but the Univega had better components and was a tad less expensive. The Univega is now in its third reincarnation with all 1993 Shimano 600 components, just before Shimano changed thier designation to Ultegra.

randochap said:
I want to take the opportunity to introduce an old friend of mine to the forum -- my 1977 Nishiki Landau

It's not a true vintage Landau as it was stripped of its original components within months of the original sale, but as you will see (at the link), it is a rather interesting mongrel.

Are there any other Nishiki owners out there? Maybe this can become a thread to share Nishiki love.

My first real bike was a Nishiki. Tange double butted tubing with a mix of components. Ferrari red. I think I bought it new for about $200 in 1981. I turned it into a fixed gear and sold it for $350 in 2001. I didn't cut off the hanger:)

Bike4Him said:
My first real bike was a Nishiki. Tange double butted tubing with a mix of components. Ferrari red. I think I bought it new for about $200 in 1981. I turned it into a fixed gear and sold it for $350 in 2001. I didn't cut off the hanger:)

That's what you call a good return on your investment!