Nishiki International Retrofit

AngelGlez

Aug 30, 2012
Hi everyone,

I am taking my mid 80's Nishiki International out of retirement. I've replaced tires, tubes, and did a general tuneup....After 20 miles or so, I realized that my 144mm BCD 52T/42T crank-set is not going to cut it! I am having a difficult time handling big hills. I want to change to a compact chain ring set. Question: Do I have to change derailleurs or just simply shorten the chain. Also, any recommendations on what to buy for a reasonable price?

FWIW. If you insist on changing the crankset then the best bang-for-your-buck may possibly be an FSA MegaEXO crank & BB ...

There are many OTHER options ...

Including a MTB crank ...

• about 12+ years ago, when I was trying out different combinations (I generally ride on mountain roads), I put an old LX crank (42-32-22) on my Road bike (for one ride) to see how viable-or-clumsy it would be ...
  • the rear derailleur on the particular ride was a Campagnolo Nuovo Record, so when the chain was on the 13t cog of the 13-28 SunRace 7-speed Freewheel, the chain was hanging slack on the return BUT there weren't any problems other than cosmetic ...
  • I eventually opted for an XTR rear derailleur, BTW
  • before that, my other setup had a Sugino AT (50/34) crankset with a[COLOR= #ff0000] long cage [/COLOR]Shimano Crane rear derailleur BUT I eventually swapped to a 'regular' 53/39 Road crank when "Compact" cranks became the vogue ...
  • and, I eventually opted for a wussy 11-32 Cassette with the 32t being my bailout cog

Which is MY way of saying that you need to figure out the high-low gearing that you will ultimately want-or-need to use ...

BTW. I would NOT shorten the chain AND I recommend that you consider buying a long-cage rear derailleur ([COLOR= #ff8c00]yes, long cage rear deraillers are NOT considered to be fashionable[/COLOR]) UNLESS you are using ([COLOR= #808080]or, planning to use[/COLOR]) something approaching a corn-cob Freewheel ...

• I know someone who was using a 52/42 Nuovo Record crankset who opted for a 34t largest cog + a Shimano MTB rear derailleur
  • which is MY way of saying that simply changing the Freewheel-or-Cassette + adding an accommodating rear derailleur may suffice ... and, probably be less expensive.

Thank you very much for the info. At 25, I was not too concern about hills; at 56 I try to avoid them as much as possible. hahaha. I'm going to ride with what I have and make the decision whether to change or not after a few hundred. Thanks again!

...a corn-cob Freewheel...

I love hearing that old terminology, Alf!