Nishiki Pueblo - replacement

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by chas2702, Feb 11, 2015.

1. chas2702

chas2702 New Member

I recently bought a used Nishiki Peublo for $25 to get around a city I am working in for a month. Most likely I will not be able to take it home because I am flying. Is this considered a Cruising bike? Hybrid? Touring? It has 26 x 1.5 rims with 12 speed Suntour gears and brakes and Sugino crank. It has 430 label on the black frame, stamped on the frame where the rear wheel mounts is a number G0886. Can anyone tell me how old it is and what is it worth? Everything works, is it a decent bike to return to some recreational cruising to stay in shape. I like the higher handle bars. What would be good replacement to go on 10 -20 mile rides in some comfort, on city or country roads not very hilly? Will also be doing some 3-5 mile commutes.
    Any comments would be appreciated.

Tags:

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Seems like Nishiki Pueblo is one of those model names that's been used for ages.
    What it's coming up like in its current incarnation is a bike only a little up from the bottom of the barrel, selling at $250-$300.
    It's styled as a MTB, but dedicated off-road riding would kill it rapidly, unless it's a light and/or skilled rider who knows how to be gentle.

Comfort on a bike is a so-so thing.
    Assuming your bike is about the right size, and used about as the design intended, the biggest contributor to comfort on a bike is for the rider to be used to riding.
    This comes through in two ways:
    1) Fitness. On a bike, you're not supposed to have all your weight on the saddle more than momentarily. You're expected to be able to pedal hard enough and continuously enough that an important amount of weight is carried through your legs, by the pedalling effort.(and some through the arms)
    Unless you get there, no normally configured bike will ever be comfortable for longer rides for you.
    2) contact surfaces and posture.The area of your rear anatomy that will actually be carrying your weight are two knobs on your pelvis known as the sit bones. The skin and associated tissue that goes between the sit bones an the saddle will need time to toughen up and adapt. If you've ever had the weight off a foot for an extended time due to injury, you have some idea of what to expect. Riding will also put you in an initially unfamiliar posture, and you need time to adapt to that too.

And while actually riding a bike is something most never forget, being saddle-hardened and used to the task is something your body will lose unless you ride frequently.

Exactly WHAT bike to get isn't that important. There really aren't any wild cards in the industry. At the same price point, what you get from different manufacturers will all be very similar in quality. You really should test ride several different bikes, see which you like the best. See which shop you like the best.

Sounds like a hybrid would work for you.
    For utility minded riding, get an utility minded bike. Fenders, a rack, lights, reflectors. 3-5 internal gears, and a chain case will limit maintenance. Drum/roller/disc brakes are nice.
    Try to avoid a suspension fork. Slightly wider tires and some experimentation with tire pressure would serve you better.

3. paichuu

paichuu New Member

I have аn early 90's Pueblo - not positive оn thе year. It іѕ an incomplete bike - frame, fork, headset, stem, аnd handlebars. I аlsо hаvе a mismatched set оf 26" wheels thаt will bе uѕеd (with a 7 speed cassette).

I wаnt а around towner and was loоkіng fоr a steel mountain bike for the task - and waѕ аble tо acquire thіs for thе task. I won't be hitting аny trails, јust the occassional gravel trail.

I havе ѕоmе parts lying around - saddle, tires, possibly a crank іf I саn figure оut whаt size spindle length iѕ needed for thе bottom bracket/crank combo. That being said, I ѕtill see it bеing $80-100 to put together on thе cheap.

The frame іѕ in suprisingly good shape, except іs іn purple! Being а male, іt'ѕ nоt mу firѕt choice. The size iѕ good - maуbе а smidge bigger thаn I аm used to fоr а mountain frame - 21.5" аnd I am 6'1".

Any thoughts?