Nissan 4x4 advert

BigRab

Guest
"Get respect" in the new nissan DeathShed 4x4. Shows others clearing
out the way of this monster.

Great, responsible advert.

No I'm not by any means a humourously challenged person :)

Robert

"BigRab" <[email protected]>typed

> "Get respect" in the new nissan DeathShed 4x4. Shows others clearing
> out the way of this monster.

> Great, responsible advert.

> No I'm not by any means a humourously challenged person :)

> Robert

Complain to the ASA.

I complained about 'Now You Can Play In The Traffic'. My complaint was
upheld but the advertising campaign had run its course by the that time.
:-(

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

"BigRab" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Get respect" in the new nissan
> DeathShed 4x4.

DeathShed?

> Shows others clearing
> out the way of this monster.

> Great, responsible advert.

"Advert" - yes, are you trying to make a point?

--
Matt B

"Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> "BigRab" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> DeathShed?
>>>

>> Yes, apparently these things roll over something shocking.

> The Nissan Navara? Do you have any references?

Not for that particular model, but the SUV type vehicle in general is more
prone to rollover than a normal saloon.

"The worst-performing vehicles in the agency's rollover tests -- an
emergency swerve bolstered by a formula that considers vehicle size and
center of gravity -- were sport-utilities and pickups. In a single-car
accident, drivers in a two-wheel-drive Ford Explorer Sport Trac were four
times as likely to roll over as those in the Mazda RX-8 sports car"

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Insurance/Insureyourcar/P91713.asp

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

> "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Yes, apparently these things roll over something shocking.

>> The Nissan Navara? Do you have any references?

> Not for that particular model,

Ah, so I wonder if the OP can justify the choice of that term for "that
particular vehicle"?

Matt B

"Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:4366200b$0$41147

>>> The Nissan Navara? Do you have any references?

>> Not for that particular model,

> Ah, so I wonder if the OP can justify the choice of that term for "that
> particular vehicle"?

It's probably too new to appear in the rollover data yet, but it is likely
to be as prone to rollover as its fellow SUVs simply because these genre of
vehicles are compared to saloons and sports cars, as the data from the USA
suggest. So the OP can be pretty confident that it will be more prone to
rollover, unless Nissan has altered the laws of physics!

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

> "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>> Not for that particular model,

>> Ah, so I wonder if the OP can justify the choice of that term for "that
>> particular vehicle"?

> It's probably too new to appear in the rollover data yet, but it is likely
> to be as prone to rollover as its fellow SUVs simply because these genre
> of vehicles are compared to saloons and sports cars, as the data from the
> USA suggest. So the OP can be pretty confident that it will be more prone
> to rollover, unless Nissan has altered the laws of physics!

The OP never mentioned "rollover". Is the fact that one vehicle has a
higher CofG that another all that is required to condemn it as a
"DeathShed"?

--
Matt B

Simon Mason wrote:

> It's probably too new to appear in the rollover data yet, but it is likely
> to be as prone to rollover as its fellow SUVs simply because these genre of
> vehicles are compared to saloons and sports cars, as the data from the USA
> suggest. So the OP can be pretty confident that it will be more prone to
> rollover, unless Nissan has altered the laws of physics!

Quite: they are generally higher, so have a higher centre of mass, but
the width is very similar, so they're easier to knock over. Another
problem with 4x4s is that all else being equal they'll be heavier so
have rather more energy to dissipate when braking.
Unfortunately, when it comes to assessing safety people tend to gloss
over things like braking response and rollover potential in favour of
"can take head on collisions with tactical nuclear warheads" and the
like. The best way to survive accidents is not to have them, rather
than to be encased in armour...

Rush fans may already be familiar with
http://www.2112.net/xanadu/articles/a_nice_morning_drive.htm but for
others it's a thought into where arms races for car safety lead.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Matt B wrote:

> The OP never mentioned "rollover". Is the fact that one vehicle has a
> higher CofG that another all that is required to condemn it as a
> "DeathShed"?

You might look at "High and Mighty SUVs: The World's Most Dangerous
Vehicles and How They Got That Way" by Keith Bradsher for a fuller critique.

Pete.
--

"Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:4366269b$0$41142

> The OP never mentioned "rollover". Is the fact that one vehicle has a
> higher CofG that another all that is required to condemn it as a
> "DeathShed"?

This is a cycling NG. Cars sometimes come in for criticism in the same way
as motorists criticise cyclists. Lots of motorists will say something like
"all cyclists have no regard for the law" which is patently untrue, however
it is easy to pigeonhole cyclists into this stereotype.

Another poster on this NG uses the term MDG (mobile death greenhouse) for
cars (cagers is another term), but nobody gets upset about it, it's just a
term of "abuse" for a car, just as "lycra louts" is for us. No-one is
expected to do a reasoned critique of the term to see how mobile it is, how
many people it kills or how much of a greenhouse effect the inside has, it's
just a label.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

> "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> The OP never mentioned "rollover". Is the fact that one vehicle has a
>> higher CofG that another all that is required to condemn it as a
>> "DeathShed"?

> This is a cycling NG. Cars sometimes come in for criticism in the same way
> as motorists criticise cyclists. Lots of motorists will say something like
> "all cyclists have no regard for the law" which is patently untrue,
> however it is easy to pigeonhole cyclists into this stereotype.
>
> Another poster on this NG uses the term MDG (mobile death greenhouse) for
> cars (cagers is another term), but nobody gets upset about it, it's just a
> term of "abuse" for a car, just as "lycra louts" is for us. No-one is
> expected to do a reasoned critique of the term to see how mobile it is,
> how many people it kills or how much of a greenhouse effect the inside
> has, it's just a label.

Fair enough - just bigotry ;-)

--
Matt B

How about the guff that was used to sell the 2005 Mitsubishi 'Warrior'
(Shogun)

'Urban Guerilla'

'Spearhead operations in the Warrior, Mitsubishi's intrepid new hero
and elite member of the crack L200 squad. Conquer the streets in the
most audacious version of a double cab which consistently picks up the
most prestigious 'Best Pick-up' awards. Patrol the highways and byways
in this, the latest in a long line of great four-wheel drive,
five-seater trucks - it will engender envy and give you great pleasure
as you dominate the road.'

'Looks alone make it lord of the street and when the strategy calls for
a yomp any Warrior will leave the rank and file for dead. Indeed, you
can head off into the rougher stuff secure in the knowledge that you
could complete with the toughest 4x4 of all - the legendary Shogun. And
there are those that claim you'll have even more fun.'

'it will engender envy and give you great pleasure as you dominate the
road...leave the rank and file for dead...'

If anyone know the psychology of the 4x4 driver it is the companies
that sell the things...

<[email protected]> wrote in message
> 'it will engender envy and give you great pleasure as you dominate the
> road...leave the rank and file for dead...'
>
> If anyone know the psychology of the 4x4 driver it is the companies
> that sell the things...

Indeed.
BTW have a look at the letters page of the local rag today. You need to get
your pen out ;-)

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How about the guff that was used to sell the 2005 Mitsubishi 'Warrior'
> (Shogun)

Ah, now you're talking about something I've experience of after borrowing an
L200 for a while, I normally drive a 1.8 petrol estate BTW.

Load bay practicality for average suburbanite (me): inferior to estate car,
with or without Truckman canopy.
Fuel consumption: 23 mpg for diesel truck, 35 ish for petrol est car.
Comfort: Truck = shite, car = very nice thank you.
Handling: Truck = shite, car = very nice thank you.
Performance: Truck = shite, car = more than adequate.
Passenger cabin space: Truck (with crew cab) = shite, car = very nice thank
you.
Trailer towing: Truck = very good, car = more than adequate.

Each to their own but why anyone other than tradespersons or others with
specific needs would fancy one is beyond me.

For my next predjudice reinforcing exercise I'll have a go on a Jet-ski ;-)
--
Pete
http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/P

BigRab wrote:

> "Get respect" in the new nissan DeathShed 4x4. Shows others clearing
> out the way of this monster.
>
> Great, responsible advert.
>
> No I'm not by any means a humourously challenged person :)
>
> Robert

More stupid ad's to appeal to the wanabees

Wally wrote:

> Bloody noise boxes piloted by water hogs who unzpped their heads and left
> their brain cells at the dock.

It looks about as much fun as getting on a dirt (motor) bike and riding
around in circles in a flat field again and again and again while
there's a heavy rainstorm going on. I could probably have fun doing
that once or twice, but as a regular thing? Hey ho, guess their
riders[1] are similarly baffled by sea kayakers...

Pete.

[1] <bigot> is the term "****** on a jetski" a tautology? </bigot>;-)
--

Peter Clinch wrote:

> It looks about as much fun as getting on a dirt (motor) bike and riding
> around in circles in a flat field again and again and again while
> there's a heavy rainstorm going on. I could probably have fun doing
> that once or twice, but as a regular thing? Hey ho, guess their
> riders[1] are similarly baffled by sea kayakers...

But what could possibly be more fun? Using your skill to zoom between
slow-moving non-motorised vehicles, swerving at the last moment, going
as fast as possible, making lots of noise and chemical pollution,
intimidating smaller vehicles...I mean, you can't do that sort of thing
anywhere else, can you?

R.