Nite Rider digital night owl charger question

Cobben Sence

Guest
I just recently replaced the battery for my Digital Nite Owl system
that up until now has been sitting on my shelf collecting dust;
consequently, I do not remember the charging instructions. I replaced
my battery with that of the Digital evolution series, but I have no
idea what the proper behavior of the charger would be with this new
battery. Currently, the charger's LED is blinking even after nine
hours of charge. When I plug the battery into the head light the "gas
gauge" is indicating a full charge, but I'm not sure whether or not I
should trust this reading or not. Is there anybody out there that has
any experience with these NiteRider systems who can advise me?

John

"Cobben Sence" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just recently replaced the battery for my Digital Nite Owl system
> that up until now has been sitting on my shelf collecting dust;
> consequently, I do not remember the charging instructions. I replaced
> my battery with that of the Digital evolution series, but I have no
> idea what the proper behavior of the charger would be with this new
> battery. Currently, the charger's LED is blinking even after nine
> hours of charge. When I plug the battery into the head light the "gas
> gauge" is indicating a full charge, but I'm not sure whether or not I
> should trust this reading or not. Is there anybody out there that has
> any experience with these NiteRider systems who can advise me?
>

> John

No, do not trust the "gas gauge." It's just a clock that resets whenever you
pull the plug, and it resets as *full* from what I remember and is open to
other inaccuracies as well.. I still own one of these units, but haven't
used it for a couple years because I'm not doing the dark commute I did back
then.

BTW, I had to purchase early replacement of the first one I owned, because
the old-style charger fried the battery pronto. With the newer style
*Digital Evolution* charger, I recall it will turn itself off after about 12
hours. Even if you start with a partially charged battery, the 12 hours on
constant trickle won't damage it. But all in all, IMO the NightRider gear
was garbage, considering the high price of the product and the propensity
for self-destruction designed into the product, despite advertised claims to
the contrary.

Anyway, I suggest you don't pay much attention to the LEDs on the lamp
housing -- they proved to be mostly good for no more than the marketing
bling factor -- watch your watch instead.

My 2 cents. Good luck with it -- the 15 (?) watts was great for
cars-can-see-ya safety (2.5 hours) and good for longer than that for
see-where-yer-going visibility at the lower wattages.

mC