Nite Rider Lights

oilfreeandhappy

Guest
Anybody had problems with Nite Rider lites. I've purchased 2 of them,
at hefty prices, and had the same problem with both. On very cold
days, when removing the light from the bracket, the edge of the bracket
chipped. Later when riding, and I hit a bump, the light fell out of
the bracket, and hung there. Evidently, there's no strain relief in
the cord, and the internal connection came loose. Kaput. I tried to
repair, but can't because the area is too tight to solder. I ruined
the first one trying.
Jim Gagnepain
http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/

oilfreeandhappy wrote:
> Anybody had problems with Nite Rider lites. I've purchased 2 of them,
> at hefty prices, and had the same problem with both. On very cold
> days, when removing the light from the bracket, the edge of the
> bracket chipped. Later when riding, and I hit a bump, the light fell
> out of the bracket, and hung there. Evidently, there's no strain
> relief in the cord, and the internal connection came loose. Kaput.
> I tried to repair, but can't because the area is too tight to solder.
> I ruined the first one trying.

Drip a little OIL on it.

On 22 Jan 2006 22:55:16 -0800, "oilfreeandhappy"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Anybody had problems with Nite Rider lites. I've purchased 2 of them,
>at hefty prices, and had the same problem with both. On very cold
>days, when removing the light from the bracket, the edge of the bracket
>chipped. Later when riding, and I hit a bump, the light fell out of
>the bracket, and hung there. Evidently, there's no strain relief in
>the cord, and the internal connection came loose. Kaput. I tried to
>repair, but can't because the area is too tight to solder. I ruined
>the first one trying.
>Jim Gagnepain
>http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/

Nite-Rider has an excellent service department and VERY reasonable
prices for repairs. Give them a a call. I messed one up when I tried
to replace the short cable between the control box and the lamp head
on my own. I just can't do that type of soldering any more!

I had the problem with the lights falling out, also. It has since been
resolved. When mounting the light, bring the wire UNDER the handlebar
rather than over. Adjust the bracket so that the detent used is the
one farthest forward and don't even use the other detents in the
bracket. This way the weight/tension of the cable will tend to pull
the light forward against the stop rather than back and out of the
bracket.

Been there, done that.
larry

I just e-mailed NiteRider last week about a broken lock tab for the
slider mount for one of my headlights and they asked for my home
address and sent one right away.

I'd drop them a line through their Web site.

Cheers,
Mike Davis