nite riding, ouch those auto headlights :^(

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Douglas Cole, Mar 16, 2003.

  1. Douglas Cole

    Douglas Cole Guest

    Well I did my first nite ride on my new 'bent and the first thing I noticed was how I get nailed
    really badly by auto headlights 8^p

    Just curious if I am the only one who seems to be getting blinded by the light ;^}

    Even when the cars are in the far opposing lane , but especially if I am riding on a trail that is
    on the same side as opposing traffic, it was to a point where I had to actually stop (was crossing a
    narrow bridge) and wait for the cars to dissipate as I couldn't see... My instinct on the 'bent
    seems to be that I always want to be looking up and around , not down. I never seemed to notice
    headlights when I rode my DF all those years (probably because I was always looking down)...
    Obviously on a 'bent one is lower to the ground, I guess it is just right inline with auto lights.

    Geeze , sunglasses at night ?

    The downpours have subsided, time for a ride ! :^)

    --
    Douglas Cole http://www.users.qwest.net/~cdoug3 Registered Linux user # 188922

    Tags:

  2. David

    David Guest

    I've never noticed any real trouble with auto headlights during my night rides except when it's
    raining. Then the glare is so bad once I couldn't tell where the road was and ended up riding on the
    shoulder for a bit. I'm wondering if clear polarized glasses would help in such situations if you
    could get them. Or if polarized glasses in a color would do a better job of cutting the glare at
    night. Ideas?

    Douglas Cole wrote:
    > Well I did my first nite ride on my new 'bent and the first thing I noticed was how I get nailed
    > really badly by auto headlights 8^p
    >
    > Just curious if I am the only one who seems to be getting blinded by the light ;^}
    >
    > Even when the cars are in the far opposing lane , but especially if I am riding on a trail that is
    > on the same side as opposing traffic, it was to a point where I had to actually stop (was crossing
    > a narrow bridge) and wait for the cars to dissipate as I couldn't see... My instinct on the 'bent
    > seems to be that I always want to be looking up and around , not down. I never seemed to notice
    > headlights when I rode my DF all those years (probably because I was always looking down)...
    > Obviously on a 'bent one is lower to the ground, I guess it is just right inline with auto lights.
    >
    > Geeze , sunglasses at night ?
    >
    > The downpours have subsided, time for a ride ! :^)

  3. Rex Kerr

    Rex Kerr Guest

    Douglas Cole <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Just curious if I am the only one who seems to be getting blinded by the light ;^}

    Yikes! You're scaring me! I'm less than an hour away from my first night ride and hadn't even
    cosidered this! I was more worried about waiting for the rain to die down as I didn't bring rain
    gear and the bike doesn't have fenders yet!

    -Rex

  4. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    Being down so much lower really puts you in the main beam. I have the same problem (and eyeglasses make it even worse). I'd recommend mounting as strong a headlight as you can afford (dual beam models are nice).

    Don't ever wear polarized glasses at night though (they cut down on reflected highlights - which you'll need to navigate by :) )

  5. Papa

    Papa Guest

    I do a lot of night driving with light sensitive eyes. A friend loaned me a pair of Bosch & Lomb
    shooting (yellow lenses) glasses one night. WOW!... These are unbelieveable. Takes the sting out of
    halogens, but doesn't degrade dim lited objects.

    Douglas Cole <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Well I did my first nite ride on my new 'bent and the first thing I noticed was how I get nailed
    > really badly by auto headlights 8^p
    >
    > Just curious if I am the only one who seems to be getting blinded by the light ;^}
    >
    > Even when the cars are in the far opposing lane , but especially if I am riding on a trail that is
    > on the same side as opposing traffic, it was to a point where I had to actually stop (was crossing
    > a narrow bridge) and wait for the cars to dissipate as I couldn't see... My instinct on the 'bent
    > seems to be that I always want to be looking up and around , not down. I never seemed to notice
    > headlights when I rode my DF all those years (probably because I was always looking down)...
    > Obviously on a 'bent one is lower to the ground, I guess it is just right inline with auto lights.
    >
    > Geeze , sunglasses at night ?
    >
    > The downpours have subsided, time for a ride ! :^)

  6. Yep Wear Amber Goggles and the glare is gone...and no more rain/road debris in the eyes.

    "Papa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I do a lot of night driving with light sensitive eyes. A friend loaned me a pair of Bosch & Lomb
    > shooting (yellow lenses) glasses one night. WOW!... These are unbelieveable. Takes the sting out
    > of halogens, but doesn't degrade dim lited objects.
    >

    > Douglas Cole <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Well I did my first nite ride on my new 'bent and the first thing I
    noticed
    > > was how I get nailed really badly by auto headlights 8^p
    > >
    > > Just curious if I am the only one who seems to be getting blinded by the light ;^}
    > >
    > > Even when the cars are in the far opposing lane , but especially if I am riding on a trail that
    > > is on the same side as opposing traffic, it was
    to a
    > > point where I had to actually stop (was crossing a narrow bridge) and
    wait
    > > for the cars to dissipate as I couldn't see... My instinct on the 'bent seems to be that I
    > > always want to be looking up
    and
    > > around , not down. I never seemed to notice headlights when I rode my DF all those years
    > > (probably because I was always looking down)... Obviously on a 'bent one is lower to the ground,
    > > I guess it is just
    right

  7. In article <[email protected]>, Douglas Cole <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Well I did my first nite ride on my new 'bent and the first thing I noticed was how I get nailed
    > really badly by auto headlights 8^p

    <snip>

    > Geeze , sunglasses at night ?

    So you can see.

    Charleson Mambo

    (80's flashback)

    To confuse, inveigle, and obfuscate.
    <spam> www.accanthology.com Buy "The Alt.Cyberpunk.Chatsubo Anthology" </spam>

  8. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    Thanks Papa, I'll have to try that!
    R2

  9. Ron C

    Ron C Guest

    I second this idea of yellow goggles / glasses. I have commuted to work in many areas in the
    northern hemisphere (retired military). Picked up on yellow glasses for night riding several years
    ago from a hospital medic. Helps me see in fog, snow, rain, and low light such as inside an airplane
    with just emergency lights or night lights on. Doubles my distance seen in those conditions and
    gives a better defined object outline in the low light.

    Ron Chamberlain

    R2D2 wrote:
    > Thanks Papa, I'll have to try that! R2
    >

    > Originally posted by Papa I do a lot of night driving with light sensitive eyes. A friend loaned
    > me a pair of Bosch & Lomb shooting (yellow lenses) glasses one night. WOW!... These are
    > unbelieveable. Takes the sting out of halogens, but doesn't degrade dim lited objects.

  10. Papa

    Papa Guest

    Congrats!.. Mr r2d2, Just graduated from kindergarden huh? It's clear your vision is obscured...
    "night driving" lenses are readily available and proven effective.

    R2D2 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Being down so much lower really puts you in the main beam. I have the same problem (and eyeglasses
    > make it even worse). I'd recommend mounting as strong a headlight as you can afford (dual beam
    > models are nice).
    >
    > Don't ever wear polarized glasses at night though (they cut down on reflected highlights - which
    > you'll need to navigate by :) )

  11. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >Just curious if I am the only one who seems to be getting blinded by the light ;^}

    The older you get the less your eyes tolerate glare.

    Also, headlight technology has been changing over the past few years. I know my glare tolerance is
    down, but when 7 out of 10 oncoming vehicles are ok and the other three blind me I tend to thing
    something else is wrong too....
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  12. Jay

    Jay Guest

    in article [email protected], Douglas Cole at [email protected] wrote on
    3/16/03 2:59 PM:

    > Well I did my first nite ride on my new 'bent and the first thing I noticed was how I get nailed
    > really badly by auto headlights 8^p
    >
    > Just curious if I am the only one who seems to be getting blinded by the light ;^}
    >
    > Even when the cars are in the far opposing lane , but especially if I am riding on a trail that is
    > on the same side as opposing traffic, it was to a point where I had to actually stop (was crossing
    > a narrow bridge) and wait for the cars to dissipate as I couldn't see... My instinct on the 'bent
    > seems to be that I always want to be looking up and around , not down. I never seemed to notice
    > headlights when I rode my DF all those years (probably because I was always looking down)...
    > Obviously on a 'bent one is lower to the ground, I guess it is just right inline with auto lights.
    >
    > Geeze , sunglasses at night ?
    >
    > The downpours have subsided, time for a ride ! :^)

    Perhaps you should have your eyes examined. People I know who have had eye disoders or recent eye
    surgery have made similar comments. Mine are unusually sensitive and I am fine with automobile
    headlights at night.

  13. Douglas Cole

    Douglas Cole Guest

    Douglas Cole wrote:

    > Well I did my first nite ride on my new 'bent and the first thing I noticed was how I get nailed
    > really badly by auto headlights 8^p
    >
    > Just curious if I am the only one who seems to be getting blinded by the light ;^}

    Well thanks everyone for all your comments, I guess I should have clarified the situation...

    I hardly ever have this problem when riding my DF bike, it seems that since I am lower to the ground
    on my 'bent that I am more in-line to the headlights of most passenger cars and so get a direct shot
    of their lights whereas on the DF bike I am above most (well ok the tall 4x4's will nail
    me) and don't get the glare.

    I do notice that I have been sensitive to bright light for a long time now (I am 43), but since I
    had never ridden a 'bent at night until I purchased my own I didn't even give it a thought that I
    would be closer to the headlight beams :^(

    Anywho , I like the yellow glasses idea, since I like to use some sort of eye protection when riding
    anyway , this will fit that bill in daytime too
    :^)

    Now, to snarf up a pair of those eggbeater pedals that are on sale before all the rest of you
    folks do ;^}

    Still loving my 'bent !

    Douglas Cole Happy Burley Taiko owner Registered Linux user #188922

    --
    Douglas Cole N7BFS AMSAT#26182 , K2 # 544 http://www.users.qwest.net/~cdoug3 Registered Linux
    user # 188922

  14. The night glasses I like best are the amber Remington shooting glasses I got at a Wal-Mart store for
    $10. Since some hopped-up yahoos with fast-firing CO2-powered BB-guns opened up on me as I passed
    them at night, I never ride during darkness without eye protection. The same type of thugs toss a
    lot of eggs around here and two young women each lost an eye from them while riding. Sometimes, the
    amber glasses are good during the daytime, as well, if you don't mind losing a lot of color from the
    scenery. Red-haired women cannot be distingushed when you're wearing them.

    Steve McDonald

  15. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Steve McDonald wrote:

    > The night glasses I like best are the amber Remington shooting glasses I got at a Wal-Mart store
    > for $10. Since some hopped-up yahoos with fast-firing CO2-powered BB-guns opened up on me as I
    > passed them at night, I never ride during darkness without eye protection. The same type of thugs
    > toss a lot of eggs around here and two young women each lost an eye from them while riding.
    > Sometimes, the amber glasses are good during the daytime, as well, if you don't mind losing a lot
    > of color from the scenery. Red-haired women cannot be distingushed when you're wearing them.

    Steve,

    Please inform us where you live so we can avoid the area. :(

    Do traffic signals appear normal through the shooting glasses? It has been reported that certain
    glasses make red and green (especially the LCD type) traffic signals appear the same color.

  16. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    > Since some hopped-up yahoos with fast-firing CO2-powered BB-guns opened up on me as I passed them
    > at night, I never ride during darkness without eye protection. The same type of thugs toss a lot
    > of eggs around here and two young women each lost an eye from them while riding.

    You going to tell us where or just leave us hanging?
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  17. "Tom Sherman" skrev

    > Do traffic signals appear normal through the shooting glasses? It has been reported that certain
    > glasses make red and green (especially the LCD type) traffic signals appear the same color.

    The red one is usually at the top and the green at the bottom. In between theres a
    yellow/orange light. ;)

    Cateye Catscan glasses comes with 3 lenses. Dark, clear and yellow. Get rid of the bridge for your
    nose and put 2 small foamstrips on the inside of the frame to stop sweat running down into your eyes
    and you got a nice recumbentfriendly setup.

    M.

  18. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Mikael Seierup wrote:

    > "Tom Sherman" skrev
    >
    > > Do traffic signals appear normal through the shooting glasses? It has been reported that certain
    > > glasses make red and green (especially the LCD type) traffic signals appear the same color.
    >
    > The red one is usually at the top and the green at the bottom. In between theres a yellow/orange
    > light. ;)

    While it is easy to determine the location of the currently operated light in a vertical array in
    high visibility daytime conditions, at night this may be more difficult, especially in poor
    visibility conditions (fog, rain or snow).

    There are also some traffic lights in horizontal arrays, and some modern lights that combine turn
    arrows of different colors within one light.

  19. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "Steve McDonald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Red-haired women cannot be distingushed when you're wearing them.
    >
    > Steve McDonald

    Gee....... I wonder if they would work around the house (wife has red hair), I could use some time
    to myself.

    Bill Ryan Vanguard/Duplex