NITERIDER BLOW TORCH 299.00 should I go for it?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by stevek, Nov 5, 2003.

1. stevek

stevek New Member

I have been needing more light on my night commute. 10w halogen just does not do it over 10 mph. I can get the blowtorch for 299.00 new and that seems like a great deal. Any reason not to?

Tags:

2. circuitweed

circuitweed New Member

I'd recommend nothing less than a HID system. I personally just bought a BlowTorch for my bicycle. One of the main reasons I bought it was that I wanted a bright tail light that I could leave on constant without eating a ton of batteries. I already have two very bright blinkies attached to my rack, but I wanted something to stay on steady, and the NightRider tail light fit the bill, so I bought the BlowTorch over the other brands. Add to that a 4 hour burn time, and I was sold.

Personally, I consider this a minimum amount of light that any serious commuter should have. It gives just enough light to maintain about 20mph without out riding the light.

The Cat-eye stadium light puts out almost twice the amount of light, but the external clunky ballast box really wasn't my thing.

I am extremely happy with the HID system, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much safety it will add to your after dark riding experience. I feel that my frontal visibility to cars at night is better than it is during the day. Actually, I run it as a daytime running light too.

I still use a 3 led white blinkie on the front just to help catch attention since the HID systems can't blink.

I'm completely satisfied with mine, and if you can get it for $299, I'd jump on it.

Cheers!

John Bertram

Another thing that I also considered when buying this light was that it runs on 12v, which is the same voltage that most electroluminescent tape transformers use, so I can use the same battery to make my whole bicycle light up like a neon sign.

3. stevek

stevek New Member

I have been talking to these felllows who like to make their own lighting systesm. with their advice I got the parts to make a overpowered halogen system. it will also have a far better charger then any regular lighting system has. I can charge the batteries in 15 minutes if I wanted too (G) but bulbs are far cheeper and batteries are as cheep as i want to spend.

4. circuitweed

circuitweed New Member

When you're finished building it, take some pictures so we can see it. I'd love to see what you come up with. I love custom stuff.

Cheers!

John Bertram

5. stevek

stevek New Member

will do. it is pretty simple. a couple of RC car battery packs a good rc battery cnarger a little computer comtroller and whatever lights I use.

6. xeu

xeu New Member

May I ask where you are buying this at? What is it about these lights that make them so expensive?

7. lokstah

lokstah New Member

They're awesome lights. You pay a pretty penny, and also commit to carrying a heavy battery pack around, but modern HID and even NiMH powered halogen lights in this category give you enough light to land a small plane by.

Seriously. You need to see them to believe them. The HID and NiMH packs are rechargeable, which saves cash in the long run; they tend to burn for a fraction the time (usually a couple of hours) that smaller alkaline-powered lamps do, but for the beam most spit out, it's worth it -- you tend to charge them up on a per-ride basis.

Great for serious commuting; a MUST for nightriding.

8. xeu

xeu New Member

Sounds good. I assume NiteRider is the best brand?

With that kind of pricetag, I'd be reluctant to leave my bike alone, which I will undoubtedly have to do when commuting. I'm starting to lean towards the idea of mounting a regular flashlight that I could take off and on when I want...

9. drewski

drewski New Member

Ever priced an upgrade to your car's headlights w/ Xenon/HID (High Intensity gas Discharge) bulbs? I don't know how the price compares to manufacturing costs, but they go for a pretty penny. Several hundred dollars as an option when you buy a new car or could be $1000+ depending on the car to add aftermarket.

If you're not familiar with HID lights, they are those bluish looking lights in high-end cars like BMW's, Mercedes, Audi, etc. They are not (usually) the blue bulbs seen in many "riced out" (as an oriental, I'm allowed to use this terms) hondas.

They provide a much brighter (lumens) and whiter light compared to halogens (which are more yellow in the color spectrum).

In car applications they actually use much less ongoing power than a halogen bulb, but a car's halogen is 55-70 watts so that might not be a fair comparison in regards to battery life of HID vs. Halogen.

It's true, though, that the initial firing up of the bulbs take an external ballast to power which, from what I understand, is HIGH voltage (or whatever the right electrical engineering term is).

10. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Of this category of light, NightRider is the only brand I've had personal experience with. My co-workers with HID lights also all use NightRider. It's the most prominent label, but not necessarily the best; if you can find a good deal on a PlanetBike model, or even a Performance ViewPoint, it's probably at least worth looking into.

I'm sure there are folks here who have used other brands.

11. stevek

stevek New Member

nightrider is the low end of the spectrum. it uses the cheepest bulb and does not have a great charger. but this is why you can buy it for 299.99 100.00 cheeper then the other brands. the color of the light is more blue then others. but the thing you get over even my overpowered halogen system is long run time on the batteries. though most of the balasts in these lights waste far too much power.

12. xeu

xeu New Member

Any opinions on the ARC Li-ion (Lithium ion) bike light? 13.5W HID lamp (675 lumens for 3 hours or 550 lumens for 3.5 hours), light 300g battery, etc...

13. stevek

stevek New Member

From what I hear it uses a good colored bulb though the balast is not very effient. and wastes power. but if the light burns out you have to send it back for replacement.