NiteRider Digital NiteOwl Problems Redux

I have a NiteRider Digital NiteOwl that I bought in 2000/2001 and have
been using it fairly regulary since then but here and there over the
last 5-6 years it has sat dormant from time to time. Recently (within
the last month or so) I have been doing some night time riding and the
run times seem alittle fast and also when it is 30 or below it performs
kind of flaky.

Anyway I figured and then decided to purchase a water bottle 13.2v NiMH
battery from www.batteryspace.com.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2838

It arrived in the mail this last Friday and on saturday I decided to
check it out, well first things first It has different connector type
so the guy at battery space explained to me that if I needed to I could
solder my old NiteRider 6v male connector to the new battery cable.

1. The batteryspace battery has a 2 pin (male to female) lockable
waterproof connection.
2. The NiteRider light and the battery is actually the 6v male
connector (on the battery) and 6v female connector
on the Light and my tail light as well.

Well I found out that it appears you can hook up with one of those
Laptop Universal adaptor kits and it seemed that
this would do the trick as far as using the the new battery instead of
doing all the soldering.

So I tried this but the actual adaptor from the Laptop adaptor kit was
alittle too big to make the exact fit. It did however light up the
fuel guage as well as the tail light momentarily.

So I figured "good to go" I just need to charge the new battery up as
well as get a Laptop universal adaptor set
with the "Exactly" right sized adaptor.

So back to the store I go and I get it, this time there is an adaptor
that appears to be the exact right size, so I try
it but now I get nothing when I try to connect it.

Hmmmm.

So now I just try to hook up my NiteRider battery up, but it won't even
briefly light up the light/tail light and the fuel guage.

So I charge from the better part of Saturday evening through all the
way to sunday (approx. 24 hours or so) and try
again nothing.

So now I am at a complete loss troubleshooting wise.

I really hope the light itself or the connection(s) are not jacked at
this point, they shouldn't be because I did not
in any way force anything connection wise.

What I really want to do is be able to just use the new battery from
batterspace and/or buy a new
replacement battery for this light that has an extended run time.

If that whole lighting solution is toast and beyond repair I was also
looking
at possibly getting the Nite Hawk Emitter or Emitter ALX??????

Would this be a good replacement for someone using a NiteRider Digital
NiteOwl.

Any insight or suggestions would be sincerely more than appreciated.

[email protected] wrote:
> I have a NiteRider Digital NiteOwl that I bought in 2000/2001 and have
> been using it fairly regulary since then but here and there over the
> last 5-6 years it has sat dormant from time to time. Recently (within
> the last month or so) I have been doing some night time riding and the
> run times seem alittle fast and also when it is 30 or below it performs
> kind of flaky.
>
> Anyway I figured and then decided to purchase a water bottle 13.2v NiMH
> battery from www.batteryspace.com.
>
> http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2838
>
> It arrived in the mail this last Friday and on saturday I decided to
> check it out, well first things first It has different connector type
> so the guy at battery space explained to me that if I needed to I could
> solder my old NiteRider 6v male connector to the new battery cable.
>
> 1. The batteryspace battery has a 2 pin (male to female) lockable
> waterproof connection.
> 2. The NiteRider light and the battery is actually the 6v male
> connector (on the battery) and 6v female connector
> on the Light and my tail light as well.
>
> Well I found out that it appears you can hook up with one of those
> Laptop Universal adaptor kits and it seemed that
> this would do the trick as far as using the the new battery instead of
> doing all the soldering.
>
> So I tried this but the actual adaptor from the Laptop adaptor kit was
> alittle too big to make the exact fit. It did however light up the
> fuel guage as well as the tail light momentarily.
>
> So I figured "good to go" I just need to charge the new battery up as
> well as get a Laptop universal adaptor set
> with the "Exactly" right sized adaptor.
>
> So back to the store I go and I get it, this time there is an adaptor
> that appears to be the exact right size, so I try
> it but now I get nothing when I try to connect it.
>
> Hmmmm.
>
> So now I just try to hook up my NiteRider battery up, but it won't even
> briefly light up the light/tail light and the fuel guage.
>
> So I charge from the better part of Saturday evening through all the
> way to sunday (approx. 24 hours or so) and try
> again nothing.
>
> So now I am at a complete loss troubleshooting wise.
>
> I really hope the light itself or the connection(s) are not jacked at
> this point, they shouldn't be because I did not
> in any way force anything connection wise.
>
> What I really want to do is be able to just use the new battery from
> batterspace and/or buy a new
> replacement battery for this light that has an extended run time.
>
> If that whole lighting solution is toast and beyond repair I was also
> looking
> at possibly getting the Nite Hawk Emitter or Emitter ALX??????
>
> Would this be a good replacement for someone using a NiteRider Digital
> NiteOwl.
>
> Any insight or suggestions would be sincerely more than appreciated.

You hooked a 13.2 power source to a 6 volt light setup I bet it was real
bright.You probably burnt out the bulbs and you might have burnt out the
digital control for the light too.

[email protected] wrote:
> I have a NiteRider Digital NiteOwl that I bought in 2000/2001 and have
> been using it fairly regulary since then but here and there over the
> last 5-6 years it has sat dormant from time to time. Recently (within
> the last month or so) I have been doing some night time riding and the
> run times seem alittle fast and also when it is 30 or below it
> performs kind of flaky.
>
> Anyway I figured and then decided to purchase a water bottle 13.2v
> NiMH battery from www.batteryspace.com.
>
> http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2838
>
> It arrived in the mail this last Friday and on saturday I decided to
> check it out, well first things first It has different connector type
> so the guy at battery space explained to me that if I needed to I
> could solder my old NiteRider 6v male connector to the new battery
> cable.
>
> 1. The batteryspace battery has a 2 pin (male to female) lockable
> waterproof connection.
> 2. The NiteRider light and the battery is actually the 6v male
> connector (on the battery) and 6v female connector
> on the Light and my tail light as well.
>
> Well I found out that it appears you can hook up with one of those
> Laptop Universal adaptor kits and it seemed that
> this would do the trick as far as using the the new battery instead of
> doing all the soldering.
>
> So I tried this but the actual adaptor from the Laptop adaptor kit was
> alittle too big to make the exact fit. It did however light up the
> fuel guage as well as the tail light momentarily.
>
> So I figured "good to go" I just need to charge the new battery up as
> well as get a Laptop universal adaptor set
> with the "Exactly" right sized adaptor.
>
> So back to the store I go and I get it, this time there is an adaptor
> that appears to be the exact right size, so I try
> it but now I get nothing when I try to connect it.
>
> Hmmmm.
>
> So now I just try to hook up my NiteRider battery up, but it won't
> even briefly light up the light/tail light and the fuel guage.
>
> So I charge from the better part of Saturday evening through all the
> way to sunday (approx. 24 hours or so) and try
> again nothing.
>
> So now I am at a complete loss troubleshooting wise.
>
> I really hope the light itself or the connection(s) are not jacked at
> this point, they shouldn't be because I did not
> in any way force anything connection wise.
>
> What I really want to do is be able to just use the new battery from
> batterspace and/or buy a new
> replacement battery for this light that has an extended run time.
>
> If that whole lighting solution is toast and beyond repair I was also
> looking
> at possibly getting the Nite Hawk Emitter or Emitter ALX??????
>
> Would this be a good replacement for someone using a NiteRider Digital
> NiteOwl.
>
> Any insight or suggestions would be sincerely more than appreciated.

The "Emitter" series is simply a fancy name for higher-powered LED lights
consuming between 1W and 3W. The color rendition of these LEDs is more
consistent and doesn't yellow when the voltage gets low unlike halogens, but
the halogens reveal more of the visible spectrum. The LEDs themselves last
far longer than halogens and don't shatter. The very newest generation of
LEDs promise efficiencies greater than even fluorescents, although
efficiency drops off sharply as power output increases so arrays are more
efficient. Currently we are at roughly 80-120 lumen output for one LED
emitter driving at 700mA.

--
Phil