Niterider in wheel - ouch!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by hhspiel, Aug 2, 2007.

1. hhspiel

hhspiel New Member

Hi All,

I was on a slow descent when the handlebar mount on my niterider failed, and the light swung into my wheel. The wheel came to an immediate stop, the force of which seemed to cause my carbon fork to shear into pieces...leaving me to continue the descent without a bike underneath me.

Anyone ever heard of anything like this happening before?

Thanks!

Tags:

2. WIGGUM1

WIGGUM1 New Member

I have had niterider lights fall off my mounts before, but that was always a result of not clipping them on fully. Luckily, they did not have external batteries with cords. Are you certain the light was fully clipped in? Or did the mount, still clipped to the light, fall off the bars?

3. hhspiel

hhspiel New Member

This was a model with external battery, and yes, I'm sure it was fully clipped in. The problem seems to have been with the black plastic release lever on the light, which is is supposed to act as a stop when engaged in the depression of the mount. The lever on mine doesn't seem to effectively stop the light from sliding back out of the mount. Although it snaps into place, it still slides back out with minimal effort, and the bumps and vibration of normal road riding seem to have been enough to work the light out of the mount.
    Unfortunately, the light is heavy enough that it pulled right through the velcro straps.

4. WIGGUM1

WIGGUM1 New Member

Ouch, i know what you are describing. Though my external batt niterider stays clipped in I have had others do what you describe. i guess if it is new enough you could go complain at the retailer or write niterider direct. Those handlebar mounts aren't cheap either. I ordered one for oversized bars once and made the mistake of not asking waht it would cost after markup. The part came in and they wanted $45 for it. Needless to say, I said thanks but no thanks and improvised another mount I had laying around.